Forum Jump: 

Old 12-11-2009, 02:13 PM
2xy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye_bebe View Post
My faves were Carnation Instant Breakfast bars....
I've told my kids about those before. They were SO yummy! I'm sure they were totally bad for you, too.

I also remember that Popsicle made vanilla ones for a while. They were white and tasted sort of like frozen cream soda.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2009, 02:14 PM

Location: back in the GREAT state of Minnesota! oh how i have missed you!
SMACK ramin- i loved the stuff but cant find it anywhere!

Your life doesnât change by the man whos elected. If your loved by someone you can't be rejected... decide what to be and go be it! If your a caged bird brake in and demand that somebody free it.
Old 12-12-2009, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abimommy View Post
You can get it in single serving bottles at some convenience stores. I have seen it. We don't buy nestle and I can't drink milk so I don't know if it is good.
Yeah, but this was the *powder*.

I also liked Clearly Canadian (peach). And I loved the breakfast bars mentioned--were they Carnation? I liked the chocolate chip version.

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

Old 12-12-2009, 05:27 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Planter's Cheez Balls...I bet they stopped making them because they were making people grow extra heads or something but I don't care, I would buy them in a SECOND if I saw them again...
Not that I could eat them now, but . My grandmother would always bring those with her when she came to visit.

I also LOVED crystal pepsi.

And I have no idea why, but Mother's Cookies - the circus ones with that waxy frosting on them. But I just googled it and it looks like they are back! Still can't eat them though.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:00 AM

Powdered egg nog mix. I've only ever had it at my grandma's. I think it came in a jar and you added a couple of teaspoons to milk and you could have "egg nog" any time of year.
Old 12-13-2009, 12:14 PM

When I was PG with DD2, I *craved* Jello Pudding Pops and Bonkers candy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3o9Cnvgqnqs

Neither were available

Sarah - mommy to Sophie (4) and Nora (1)
Old 12-13-2009, 01:10 PM

When I was growing up, the soda pop was in these metal coolers and the bottles (yes, real glass bottles) hung from this grid. You put in your coin (a dime, I think) and it would release this lever and you could pull your bottle through. The front of the case had the bottle opener. I really miss vended soda in a bottle. Yeah, you can get a few of them in specialty stores, but they're not all available and none are vended this way any more.

I miss the lunch counter at the local pharmacy where I grew up. There was a real soda jerk and I would be able to ask for extra syrup in my sodas. The ice cream was real and homemade. I could get all sorts of creamy and cold desserts made to order right in front of me. Root beer was the best. A cold root beer with an extra shot of syrup. So sweet!

ETA: Oh, another store in town (the Murphy's Five and Dime, I think) had an AUTOMAT. It was left over from the 50's, I think, because I never saw them any other place. They weren't popular anymore, I don't think. I loved it, though. It makes me long for those earlier days.

(I guess these aren't actual foods, but are food related. Sorry.)
Old 12-13-2009, 04:53 PM

loved CRystal Pepsi!!

Magic Middles? The cookies with chocolate filling? So good!! Made by Keebler.

-Tangy
Mama to Jon (14), Josh (12), Jack (5), Jamison (3), and Jocelyn (9 months)
Old 12-13-2009, 05:09 PM

Things I miss:
Crystal pepsi
Jumping jack doritoes
pb max
schwan's breaded vegetbles- They looked kind of like mozzerela sticks from the out side but instead of cheese inside they had different vegetables- corn, and okra are the two I remember well.

Things I can't find in the US:
Kinder eggs- Love them.
Real european fanta

oAlisha- eternal companion to mike:, mother to three energetic boys (02):, (05), and (07) and one sweet little girl 3/13.  Two in heaven.7/21/2010, 11/05/2011 mecry.gif.

Old 12-13-2009, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess ConsuelaB View Post
I miss Ben & Jerry's Wavy Gravy, my very favorite ice cream ever
That was my favorite too! I didn't realize they had actually completely stopped making it I just thought it was hard to find And I wasn't really a kid when I was eating it, I was in college.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLStar View Post
gummy trolls! little troll shaped fruit snacks. I remember having them when I got home from kindergarten. the head would be one color and the feet another color.
Quote:
Originally Posted by em123 View Post
Under Cover Bears! It was oatmeal with gummy bears in it, when you added the hot water the bears came out of hiding. Mmmm warm gummy bears for breakfast!
I don't remember either of these but they are both cracking me up

I miss Marathon bars. They were candy bars made of a long braid of caramel covered in chocolate. YUM!

mama to two sweet girliesdust.gifhearts.gifrainbow1284.gif 
Old 12-13-2009, 08:51 PM

Hmm also for you Californians: Naugles which Del Taco bought out. They had a CHEESE BURRITO....just cheese and a touch of red sauce, like a quesadilla but rolled up like a burrito and much much more cheese. The cheese wasn't even melted but that is part of what made it good. I got those all the time until I was about 6 and Del Taco bought them out.

Then Del Taco had a "deli style burrito" when I was around 10. Wraps weren't in vogue 18 years ago so I just loved getting turkey, ham, cheese, lettuce, tomato and secret sauce rolled up in a tortilla!

Both of those things would make me sick now but I loved them then!

Do they still have Flaky Flix, Dunkaroos? Loved those, too.

Happily married to DH for 6 years, in process to foster-adopt 3 children DD4, DS3 and DS2. We may be bringing half brother age 9 one day as well! We are not infertile, we just have decided that since there are precious children who need homes there is no need for us to have biological children.

Old 12-13-2009, 09:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Famatigia View Post
loved CRystal Pepsi!!

Magic Middles? The cookies with chocolate filling? So good!! Made by Keebler.
OMG, I usually HATE packaged cookies, but I would kill for some Magic Middles!!! Maybe I shouldn't read this thread, I'd forgotten about those and now I really want them

Lori ~ wife to DH 5 yrs ~ DS born naturally 11.20.10!
Old 12-13-2009, 09:23 PM

I LOVED Clearly Canadian and Crystal Pepsi! We would have dates with our grandparents and I remember loving Chicken Little sandwiches from KFC and Burger Buddies from Burger King. Liked the little sandwiches, I guess LOL.

Emily SAHM to four unschoolers Olivia (9), Brian (7), Jack (6), and Liam (5)
Old 12-13-2009, 09:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Is anyone else seriously upset with Chick-fil-a for changing the chicken salad sandwich? It was awesome chicken salad on perfectly toasted white bread and I'd dip it in the yummy but horribly unhealthy barbeque sauce.

I don't like the new one. While it is good, it's just not the same. It has fancier bread and lettuce, which is fine. But they changed the actual chicken salad recipe and it sucks now. Maybe it is a little healthier, but I didn't go to chick-fil-a for healthy food. I don't eat fast food much, but that used to be my standby. It had been ever since my grandmother introduced me to it as a kid. I can't believe they don't have it anymore.

Lori ~ wife to DH 5 yrs ~ DS born naturally 11.20.10!
Old 12-14-2009, 01:49 AM

There was this breakfast cereal- I think it was called "Crazy Cow" or something? It came in either chocolate or strawberry flavor and looked like Coco Puffs. The idea was that it turned the milk into chocolate or strawberry milk after the cereal was gone. Must have been coated in Quik!

Kristin, Mommy to 3 boys : (11,9,5) :

Old 12-14-2009, 08:20 AM

Quote:
I miss Ben & Jerry's Wavy Gravy, my very favorite ice cream ever
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis33 View Post
That was my favorite too! I didn't realize they had actually completely stopped making it I just thought it was hard to find And I wasn't really a kid when I was eating it, I was in college.
Actually I was probably in my early 20s when I ate it(I'm 36 now)...but still...I miss it! A lot!
Old 12-14-2009, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarefootGirl View Post
Is anyone else seriously upset with Chick-fil-a for changing the chicken salad sandwich? It was awesome chicken salad on perfectly toasted white bread and I'd dip it in the yummy but horribly unhealthy barbeque sauce.

I don't like the new one. While it is good, it's just not the same. It has fancier bread and lettuce, which is fine. But they changed the actual chicken salad recipe and it sucks now. Maybe it is a little healthier, but I didn't go to chick-fil-a for healthy food. I don't eat fast food much, but that used to be my standby. It had been ever since my grandmother introduced me to it as a kid. I can't believe they don't have it anymore.
Chick Fil A is yum. Thank goodness the closest one to me is about 30 minutes away

Not all those who wander are lost 
Old 12-14-2009, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancoda View Post
Kinder eggs- Love them.
I sometimes find those at those little regional grocers. I have seen them at a Middle Eastern grocer here as well as a European.

Not all those who wander are lost 
Old 12-14-2009, 05:59 PM
Banned

I remember Dunkaroos. I can't remember if I liked them or not though.

The thing I miss was this breakfast bread that my mom used to buy. It was like a cinnamon raisin swirl bread with a thick layer of SUPER sugary frosting on the top. Pre-sliced and everything. It was awesome. I don't even remember who made it.
Old 12-14-2009, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chattyprincess View Post
Duh how could I forget...
There used to be a pharmacy(thrifty's) near us in california that had an icecream scoop counter. they hadthis ice cream "chocolate malted crunch" YUMMMY!!! chocolate ice cream with little malted bits throughtout...yumm.
That was my favorite!!!!

:Mama to 2 :
Old 12-14-2009, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LZP View Post
Immediately, my childhood favorite popped into my head. Jello Pudding Pops. I think maybe once in the last 4 years, my DH and I have found them in a grocery store during summer. they were not the same. smaller, and the icy coating on the outside wasn't thick enough to bite off.

How I miss those. Fudgecicles... just a sad second.
Funny story about jello pudding pops. My mom bought some for us once when
I was a kid. My dad was looking at the ingredients and the sell by date and said somehting like these things are so fake I bet they glow in the dark. My sisters and I ran in the bath room slammed the door and the freaking vanilla parts totally where glowing! Well we never got them again! And shortly after they vansihed from the market shelves!

Jenese Mama to Elliot 8/05 and Millie Jane 7/07 and Cecilia Kate 1/11
Old 12-14-2009, 06:16 PM
LZP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaJenese View Post
Funny story about jello pudding pops. My mom bought some for us once when
I was a kid. My dad was looking at the ingredients and the sell by date and said somehting like these things are so fake I bet they glow in the dark. My sisters and I ran in the bath room slammed the door and the freaking vanilla parts totally where glowing! Well we never got them again! And shortly after they vansihed from the market shelves!
Ooooh, I wish that comment made me love them and long for them any less... but it didnt! I just enjoyed them so much. fake, glowing ingredients and all!

The babymoon isn't over! Our long awaited A born 7/18/10, making us laugh and smile every day.
Old 12-14-2009, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InMediasRes View Post
I remember Dunkaroos. I can't remember if I liked them or not though.

The thing I miss was this breakfast bread that my mom used to buy. It was like a cinnamon raisin swirl bread with a thick layer of SUPER sugary frosting on the top. Pre-sliced and everything. It was awesome. I don't even remember who made it.
My mom used to buy this all the time. Now, none of the brands have icing

E Veg*n Mom to ds 6 : dd 3
Old 12-14-2009, 07:47 PM

I remember when Ding Dongs and Ho-Ho's were wrapped in aluminum foil. I loved playing with those foil squares when I was finished eating them. I haven't eaten those treats for over 20 years, probably. But more than the treats, I remember the foil. I'm told they don't package them that way any more.
Old 12-15-2009, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancoda View Post
Things I can't find in the US:
Real european fanta

Yes, yes, yes! Fanta Limon is my absolute favorite soda ever, and you can't get it here. And the Fanta Orange that you can get in the US is not as good as Fanta Orange in Europe - too sweet.

I remember loving Halfsies and McDonalds shakes (before they made them thicker).
Old 12-15-2009, 02:59 AM
2xy

Quote:
Maybe it is a little healthier, but I didn't go to chick-fil-a for healthy food.
I don't know how things are elsewhere, but it is a law where I live that restaurants can't sell foods with trans-fats in them. The restaurant where I work had to change a lot of their recipes because of that, and had to do away with other things altogether (couldn't reformulate the recipe to taste good).
Old 12-24-2009, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
OMG, I usually HATE packaged cookies, but I would kill for some Magic Middles!!! Maybe I shouldn't read this thread, I'd forgotten about those and now I really want them

Yum! It was like fake ganache in the middle, oh my I had forgotten these....
Old 12-24-2009, 08:17 PM

Carnation Instant Breakfast Powder in coffee flavor.

Carnation Instant Breakfast bars

Grape creamsicles. I only ever see orange anymore. You used to be able to get a pack of grape, cherry & orange creamsicles.

Keebler had chocolate chocolate chip cookies. This was before the "soft" cookies took over and these disappeared. They were crunchy and so yummy.

Hubba bubba in chocolate. Not the chocolate mint, just plain chocolate. Circa 1984.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chattyprincess View Post
Duh how could I forget...
There used to be a pharmacy(thrifty's) near us in california that had an icecream scoop counter. they hadthis ice cream "chocolate malted crunch" YUMMMY!!! chocolate ice cream with little malted bits throughtout...yumm.
we get this all the time. its still around.
you can also get chocolate malted crunch pre-packaged in containers- not just at the counter! haha.

"The most important work you and I will ever do will be within the walls of our own homes." -Harold B. Lee
Old 12-25-2009, 11:50 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Oh how I miss thee....

And Tomato Flavored Ramen Noodles....

Gone Gone Gone

User Tag List