Foods you loved as a kid that are no longer sold - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-27-2009, 12:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh, I forgot about Malomars and Pinwheels - both cookies with marshmallow, wrapped in chocolate. When I lived in the US, I found similar ones, called "tea cakes" that were individually wrapped in purple foil - I shamelessly indulge in this grown-up version of my childhood favorites!

Apparently doing it rong and ruining it for everyone, but I don't give a crap anymorebanana.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2009, 03:44 AM

i just saw malomars at the grocery store this evening... they looked yummy...
Old 12-27-2009, 04:01 AM

You have to come to Canada for Kinder Surprise eggs!
I can't find chocolate malts anywhere now though - where can I get one of those?
Old 12-27-2009, 04:20 AM

Bavarian Meats in Seattle carries and will ship Kinder eggs, FYI. I have had them sent to my sister's kids along with other German goodies.

I miss my favorite ice cream which was Ben & Jerry's Cool Brittania. It was vanilla with dark chocolate covered shortbread chunks in it, and huge strawberry pieces.

I also miss the old Breyer's vanilla as a PP mentioned. Breyers and Ben & Jerry's were both bought out by Unilever awhile back, and they have changed things - not for the better.

I used to love Munchos. Do they still make those?

Spudnuts. The cinnamon ones.

An amazing cinnamon bread that was kind of like monkey bread, made at the bakery in the town where I grew up. Yum yum yum.
Old 12-27-2009, 03:54 PM

subbing
Old 12-27-2009, 05:17 PM

New York Seltzer drinks!!

Candacepeace.gif, Married to dh   guitar.gif, Mom to ds (8) biggrinbounce.gif , Gavin candle.gif (9/30/10 - 12/19/10) and cautiously expecting our rainbow1284.gif 4-29-12

Old 12-28-2009, 02:03 AM

Remember when it was called Sugar Smacks, instead of Honey Smacks? ...Those were the days!

Burger King had a sandwich called Veal Parmasean. Soooo freaking good. It was just a limited thing, but I remember loving them when I was a kid...early 1980's.

And, every morning on my way to high school, I stopped at 7-11 to grab a Jolt. All the sugar and twice the caffiene!!!

I also loved Clearly Canadian in Blackberry. When DH and I were dating (around 1991), we used to stop and get Clearly Candadian's and Lunchables and bike to the park and have a picnic. Good memories.

Wife to Bri, mom to G (8), R (6), I (5). Expecting #4 - 8.16.11
Old 12-28-2009, 02:06 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha27 View Post
I just remembered what used to be my absolute fav drink- "Clearly Canadian". It came in wierd shaped bottles and was like a sparkling soda in flavors like black cherry and raspberry? I loved that stuff! Anyone else remember this stuff?
OMG YES!! i drank that *all the time* I was just wondering the other day if they still make it or not! I have not looked in ages. The new flavored waters are DISGUSTING, taste like fake sugar. I bought one by accident once and threw it away.

We have chocolate MaltOMeal here, I might even have a box in the cabinet. you can get it on wic here. I THINK Maypo is around too.

My grandma's friend watched me for a day once, took me grocery shopping, I remember I told her I was going to *DIE* right there in the *STORE* if I could not have some Strawberry Shortcake cereal. (fast-forward 20-some-odd years and I have an almost 3 year old who would very likely say the same thing! and there probably *is* SS cereal again, I don't know since I don't buy the sweet cereals. My kids in general don't know what they are and since they love plenty of other *ahem* crap, I'm not going to enlighten them anytime soon!

Chocolate footballs. My grandpa used to buy me these chocolate football candies.
And my grandma used to let me eat the extra chocolate stars when she made these cookies with chocolate stars on them....I want that recipe just so I can do it and let my kids eat the extra stars

The brownies in the chicken TV dinner.

Clear Pepsi,

DooDads. In the days before Chex Mix was available in the store, whenever we went on long car trips, my dad bought this snack mix in a box called Doodads. It really wasn't all that different from chex mix though, it even had the little wheat things.

The last time I went to the store I actuallly looked for Dakota Style (local brand) cheezy puffs and they were not there. They are *the best* cheezies, SO MUCH cheezy stuff. I am going to be IRATE if they quit making them.

Ben and Jerry's Rainforest Crunch. And the Oatmeal cookie dough. I ate the Oatmeal cookie dough all the time when I was pregnant with, it must have been DS1 and actually wrote a letter to BnJ complaining because I was on a major jones pg with DD and could NOT find it. (or maybe it disappeared while I was preg with DD...it just doesn't seem that long ago that it was not around at all when I was pg with her!)

actually quite honestly a lot of stuff i ate is around, I just don't buy it anymore because I recognize it for what it is--junk. (Toaster Strudels anyone?)

lovin DH since 1/04, best mom for my 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), one 13 wk (10/13) and 5/15 just your average multigenerational living family!!
Old 12-28-2009, 02:12 AM

what? My breyer's only has vanilla beans and cream and sugar...I think?

lovin DH since 1/04, best mom for my 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), one 13 wk (10/13) and 5/15 just your average multigenerational living family!!
Old 12-28-2009, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlettrose View Post
i just saw malomars at the grocery store this evening... they looked yummy...
I guess it is sooo long since I have been down "that" aisle, to avoid temptation, that I just assumed that they no longer exist...oooh, now I have to see if they are still in our local markets...I have very fond childhood memories of malomars, the smell of my mom's coffee and Mary Tyler Moore episodes - our regular afternoon snack!

Apparently doing it rong and ruining it for everyone, but I don't give a crap anymorebanana.gif

Old 12-28-2009, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceful_mama View Post
Go look at the box - it now has "natural tara gum" whatever that is. They can still say they are all natural and I guess it's more pronouncable than other ingredients they could have chosen. Wonder if they still air those old commercials with the little kids reading the label - somehow I doubt it.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:15 PM

ohhh I forgot about Magic Middles!

DH remembers an ice cream sandwich called a Creamy Burger from middle school lunch - it was neopolitan ice cream in between two round cookies, dipped in chocolate shell, so when you bit into it you didn't know which flavor you'd get. Anyone know anything about those?

WAHMama to Allen (2-10-05) and Alexa (6-27-08)
Old 12-28-2009, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Me too! Still the best store bought ice cream around.

Heather-- I'm a <>< SAHM of two fabulous boys 8/05 and 2/07
Old 12-30-2009, 02:51 AM

There was something called "Pizza Spins". As I remember, they were crunchy spicy cracker-like things. I remember having a huge fight with my cousin because she finished off the box when I was out of the room.
Old 12-31-2009, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oiseau View Post
For the past couple weeks, I've been really missing this cereal I used to LOVE as a kid. I have no idea what it was called, but it was little mini-wheat type things with fruit filling inside. The best was the strawberry and the raspberry.
I think I remember these. Soooo good.

In preschool i used to have pink pudding in a can. i have no idea the brand, but i remember it had a tab top and I'd always break the tab off and they'd have to get a can opener to open it.

obstruct livery vehicles

Old 12-31-2009, 03:30 AM

yeah unfortuantely my breyer's does have something called "carob gum" in it?

Old 12-31-2009, 03:32 AM

I remember that berry square cereal too! did they quit making that?? SOO good.

do they still make combos? the snack thing? little cracker like things round with cheese like stuff in the middle. came in pizza flavors too.

Old 01-01-2010, 02:27 PM
pjs

This thread is so bad, but oh so good

1. jello 123-I think there's a recipe on regular jello boxes to mix with cool whip and it sounds like it may approximate 1-2-3

2. New York Seltzer- peach all the way (liked clearly canadian too but not as good as ny)

3. Magic middles

4. Jello pudding pops- though I have been able to find these just in different packaging (and not quite as good as I remember)

5, Anybody remember when McD's ran an Asian chicken nugget special- there were like 3 different Asian dipping sauces- they were so GOOD.

Might have cheez waffies where I live- they look familiar but I've never tried them, now I want to but perhaps its better if I let sleeping dogs lie.
Old 01-01-2010, 03:29 PM

Quote:
do they still make combos? the snack thing? little cracker like things round with cheese like stuff in the middle. came in pizza flavors too.
They sure do. DH & I devoured a bag last week.

Me, my Sweetie , DD 1 (Dec 07),  and DD 2 (Dec 09). Co-sleeping, delayed-vaxing, quia Lutherans!
Old 01-01-2010, 06:57 PM

Not from my childhood, but last spring, Trader Joe's had some cereal that was like mini wheats with strawberry filling. It was good. But even better was the cocoa variant that had nutella filling in it. OMG. It was divine. I loved it. My kids loved it. So did all our friends who were lucky enough to try it. And then of course they discontinued it. Wish I'd known, I'd have bought a couple of cases. I haven't found anything similar, but it was imported from Germany.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:49 PM

Not sure if they still make them but I haven't had them in a few years.. little Koala bear cookie cracker things.. really small, cookie outer and chocolate filled inner. Yum.

rainbow1284.gif Mama to DD1 (6) DD2 (4) and DD3 (1)
Old 01-02-2010, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindyCityMom View Post
Not sure if they still make them but I haven't had them in a few years.. little Koala bear cookie cracker things.. really small, cookie outer and chocolate filled inner. Yum.
koala yummies

obstruct livery vehicles

Old 01-02-2010, 05:11 PM

Mmmm... BarNone candy bars....

Aimee CageFreeFamily
Mama to Quinn 7, Nichola 3, & Simone 5wk
Old 01-02-2010, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancoda View Post

Things I can't find in the US:
Kinder eggs- Love them.
They have these at a European deli near us. So cute!

I totally second the Clearly Canadian. I had completely forgotten about those. There was some kind of blackberry flavor that I LOVED. The new packaging looks terrible--too bad they changed it.

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
Old 01-03-2010, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LianneM View Post
ohhh I forgot about Magic Middles!

DH remembers an ice cream sandwich called a Creamy Burger from middle school lunch - it was neopolitan ice cream in between two round cookies, dipped in chocolate shell, so when you bit into it you didn't know which flavor you'd get. Anyone know anything about those?
I remember these - SO GOOD! Wow, now I really want one of these

Also, Bar None candy bars. They were my absolute favs. I had almost forgotten about them until someone else mentioned them. And Orange flavored bubble gum, like Bubblicious or Hubba Bubba. I've looked for this on and off for years and have yet to find orange anywhere.
Old 01-03-2010, 03:29 PM

i can still get cheez balls here...i get them at sams club or the local tractor supply store(ours is called rural king) . i think bass pro shop has them too.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:03 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I haven't seen Count Chocula cereal in a while. That stuff has been around forever and now suddenly I can't find it. It's soooo good too, I can easily eat an entire box at one time when I have a craving for it. (Which fortunately is only about once a year! LOL)

Reneé, 34 year old mom to Antonin 8/04 and Arianna 9/06  (6 weeks) 5/08. Married to Matt since 6/03 .  
Old 01-04-2010, 12:06 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocelyndale View Post
Schwan's still makes those.

I miss 7-Up Gold. And I don't know if I ever drank banana quik or if my Dad used to wax on about it. But it sounds good, not that I'd buy Nestle now.
I remember banana quik! It was my favorite of all the flavors . I used to walk over to Kroger to buy it during my break from Revco (now CVS) when I was in high school in the late 90s. I guess it didn't sell very well because I haven't seen it in at least 10 years now.

Reneé, 34 year old mom to Antonin 8/04 and Arianna 9/06  (6 weeks) 5/08. Married to Matt since 6/03 .  
Old 01-04-2010, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoninBeGonin View Post
I haven't seen Count Chocula cereal in a while. That stuff has been around forever and now suddenly I can't find it. It's soooo good too, I can easily eat an entire box at one time when I have a craving for it. (Which fortunately is only about once a year! LOL)
Depends on where you live. Some States get it year round, some only get it around Halloween. We never used to get it until we got our second Target store, and now we get it for Halloween there and I saw it at Red Apple this year too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General...akfast_cereals

Quote:
Target and Wal-Mart are among the stores that have been known to carry these more scarce cereals during October in time for Halloween. They can be found year-round in the Midwest at Wal-Mart Supercenters and on Amazon.com, and in the Southeast in many stores. In addition, they have been spotted year-round in some Wal-Mart Supercenters in the East.
Monster cereals are a pop culture icon, though.

Last year I found a lady on ebay that sells them year round.. I bought 6 boxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscompgeek View Post
i can still get cheez balls here...i get them at sams club or the local tractor supply store(ours is called rural king) . i think bass pro shop has them too.
I clearly do not live near a tractor supply store because I find it a bit strange that they would sell cheese balls...
Old 01-04-2010, 12:42 AM

We used to have this place called the Pop Shoppe and you would get a crate and then pick different flavoured pops that came in glass bottles, they still sell the pop at certain stores but I think the best part was going and picking out the different flavours in that little red crate!

User Tag List