Spin-off: foods you loved as a kid that you would cringe to see your child eating... - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 59 Old 12-14-2009, 08:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lucky Charms (any cereal really!)
Pepsi-free
lots and lots and lots of sugar
Bisquick pancakes with fake syrup
white bread

Elizabeth - Doing life with Scott partners.gif

SAHM to Evelyn - my crazy little Celiac (4) energy.gif Annabelle (2)  love.gif and Abraham (born 6/20) buddamomimg1.png
adoptionheart-1.gif  Follow our journey  mdcblog5.gif

#32 of 59 Old 12-15-2009, 12:10 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Not much. We ate pretty well (mom had a good garden, and went "granola" with respect to our food when I was pretty young). BUT, I loved Velveeta. I used to cut slices of it, and dip them in a big pile of Miracle Whip. While we still use Miracle Whip around here, I can't quite imagine my reaction to watching my kids snarf down a plate of Velveeta in a pile of it.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#33 of 59 Old 12-15-2009, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neptunemama View Post

Fried bologna sandwiches on white bread. Fry up the bologna in butter, melt cheese on it while in the pan. Slather the bread in mayo and add the meat and cheese. Yum! At least I thought that when I was a kid. Now, ugh!
OMG! I thought that it was only my dad who made these!! He would also substitute Spam or Vienna Sausages (tiny ones in a can) served with Lays potato chips & Pepsi I loved them as a kid

mama to the most awesome 3! year old ever!
#34 of 59 Old 12-15-2009, 08:50 AM

My mother came of age in the 50's when everything, and I mean EVERYTHING was about convenience. She never learned how to cook and we ate nothing but junk my entire childhood. I ate nothing but hot dogs, bologna, diner hamburgers, and grilled cheese. We drank Coke all.the.time. I honestly don't remember eating vegetables and very few fruits as a child. I remember during the oil embargo in the early 70's, that when we'd be in line to get gasoline, my dad would get me a hot dog from Burger Chef to keep me quiet in the car while we waited. Ugh, I had the most horrible diet!

Thankfully, I learned to cook (and well) as a young adult and dd is not subjected to this kind of child abuse.
#35 of 59 Old 12-15-2009, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mata View Post
my grandmother was queen of the hot dish-some type of protein, a can of cream of mushroom, noodles, and potato chips on top. there was one hot dish in particular that I thought was the most delicious thing ever-noodles, ground meat and canned corn. that was it! I also ate a lot of weiners-handmade by the butchers' at least, but packed with preservatives, I'm sure.
We still make this but I use WW pasta, homemade cream of mushroom soup and no chips on top. It's not the healthiest but it's a great comfort food.

Married to DH 7 years and have three fantastic kiddos! DS 6, DD 4, and DS 2 ...... lo and behold another is on the way!

#36 of 59 Old 12-15-2009, 05:29 PM

Toaster Strudel...with the little packet of frosting you could squeeze on top.
#37 of 59 Old 12-15-2009, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velochic View Post
My mother came of age in the 50's when everything, and I mean EVERYTHING was about convenience. She never learned how to cook and we ate nothing but junk my entire childhood. I ate nothing but hot dogs, bologna, diner hamburgers, and grilled cheese. We drank Coke all.the.time. I honestly don't remember eating vegetables and very few fruits as a child. I remember during the oil embargo in the early 70's, that when we'd be in line to get gasoline, my dad would get me a hot dog from Burger Chef to keep me quiet in the car while we waited. Ugh, I had the most horrible diet!

Thankfully, I learned to cook (and well) as a young adult and dd is not subjected to this kind of child abuse.
HAHA!! Burger Chef!! I forgot all about them!

signature currently in transition
#38 of 59 Old 12-15-2009, 06:27 PM

when I was a kid, my mom was a SAHM and my parents didn't have much money so they pretty much made everything from scratch. I felt soooo abused! LOL... I guess the thing I'd cringe about most is the twice a year we went to Pizza Hut, probably. She was also pretty TF, didn't believe in things like margarine, american cheese, whatever fake stuff out there, and she belonged to a local food-co-op, so she was pretty crunchy, really. She had also grown up all over the world (africa, korea, etc) so we ate a fair amount of ethnic food.

When i was a teenager, things changed - my parents divorced, and my mom was now a single mom, working full time and also going to school full time. She pretty much left us stuff in the house that we could make ourselves for snacks - velveeta and salsa with chips, microwave burritos, ramen noodles, etc. She still usually made dinner from scratch, but often it was home-made pizza with dough that she had made herself... that kind of thing.

I pretty much cringe at all those things.

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#39 of 59 Old 12-17-2009, 02:02 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
We used to do white sugar sandwiches on margarine and the cheapest white bread ever. Stale, often, because Dad would buy the day-old stuff to save money. Yummers.

He also bought big bags of stale chocolate-covered doughnuts, which we fell on and devoured. They were tough and awful... even at the time we thought so... but that didn't stop us pouncing on them!

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#40 of 59 Old 12-17-2009, 10:45 AM

omg PEEPS! I still sneak them sometimes I don't really want the kids eating them though... because to look at the ingredients? ew.

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#41 of 59 Old 12-17-2009, 03:39 PM

Peeps! I hate them, but every easter we have peep wars at my aunts' house. 3 people pick a peep and put them in the microwave to see which one blows up first! HA!

signature currently in transition
#42 of 59 Old 12-18-2009, 01:03 PM

Twinkies and Ding Dongs!
#43 of 59 Old 12-30-2009, 02:06 AM

What was my mother thinking??
#44 of 59 Old 12-30-2009, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ Wonderful Life ~ View Post
My mom was actually a good cook and we ate a healthy meal every night...but, she did occasionally give us peanut butter and fluff sandwiches!

Fluff, good God, who thought of that stuff??? Gross!!
What is fluff?

Anything in a can by Libby's or Chef Boy R Dee (I loved the stuff but I couldn't feed it to my kids!)
#45 of 59 Old 12-30-2009, 06:49 AM

McDonalds Quarter Pounder with Cheese, large fries and drink

What was I even thinking back then in h.s.

My DS has NEVER even been to a McDonald's or any fast-food restaurant with the exception of the monthly trek to In-and-Out burger - no frys or drink though.

Kate, Wife to DH and Mommy to a 5yo lovin' DS; three angels 4/08 9/08 3/10 in Heaven,
waitin' for my baby

#46 of 59 Old 12-30-2009, 11:35 AM

My parents used to take my brother and I to McDonalds at least once a week. Also, my lunch that I would take to school (that my mom would pack) consisted of two cans of coke, a peanut butter sandwich, dunka-roos, fruit roll-ups and a chcolate bar.
I remember my dad made us this sandwich that consisted of processed cheese slices, instant bacon, margerine, white bread - and then he would put it in the mircrowave and let it all "melt to perfection".
We always had cupboards stocked FULL of chips, cookies, candies, pop - the works.
Lucky for me I spent a lot of time with my grandmother growing up and she was very health conscience (before it was popular to be) and cooked everything from scratch. Her food was the only healthy food that I had access to growing up.
#47 of 59 Old 12-31-2009, 03:39 AM

Most ANYTHING.

I shocked my DH one night by telling him the ONLY thing I remember my mom or dad cooking that was entirely fresh stuff was pot roast.
(Dh is from Africa and lived in India before coming here. His comment was WHAT did you EAT?)

Well the answer to that is I went through a phase of literally *years* where because I was "so picky" I only "liked" the following (as far as "meal foods")
--mashed potatoes (my mom made instant, with the brown gravy powder)
--canned chili
--french fries
--Cream of Wheat
I can literally remember being revolted at the idea that meat had blood in it so I would not eat meat that I knew was meat. (I must have seen a bloody package or something. I've gotten over that.)

That is literally the only things you might find served with a meal that I ate. Of course I ate junk like sweets and Pringles. Oh and PBJ.
I ate NO fruits or veggies other than what was in the can o chili.

My mom's answer was to quit cooking basically and feed me what I liked. I don't know how or when I got a bit more expanded.

When I did 'expand" a bit I remmeber a ton of frozen TV dinners (I still wouldn't eat the corn, and I liked the fried chicken one only) frozen pizza. Hamburger helper and white bread were a staple.

I only started liking fruits and veggies basically as an adult and I think that's because my dad only ever bought green grapes, which I still don't like, and they only ever bought Red Delicious apples, which I still don't really like.

Serious *cringes* for me though
--Kool-Aid or any other 'fake' juice

--any sort of prepackaged snack cake product (always around when I was a kid)

--hydrogenated anything--margarine and hydrogenated PB get thrown out if they make it through the door.

--candy bars, they're a bad enough impact on the diet when they're going into an *adult* they don't need that sugar and huge calorie overload.

--soda, they don't even realize all restaurants have it. (they *have* occasionally gotten caffiene free or 'juice' if we're somewhere they don't have real juice and they see us getting a drink. But it's so rare that I let it go, and it's a dh thing)

My mom now lives with us and she is amazed at what my kids will eat. And we are not talking like weird stuff here, we are talking the fact that dd's favorite snacks from the fridge are fruits. (pretty much any but probably the top are apples, grapes, and oranges, the little clementines in particular cause they're easiest to peel.)

I have had to come down a bit though with DH and my mom around and pretty much realize I can only control what *I* buy the kids.....so I keep my 'treats' to favored fruits and "pop-juice" from the health food store (It is carbonated juice basically, they love it and think it is a big deal. I think it's way better than say a bag of Cheetos)

lovin DH since 1/04, SAHM to 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), and one 13 wk (10/13) just your average :ha ng multigenerational living family!!
#48 of 59 Old 12-31-2009, 04:54 PM

Cheese puffs/cheetos.

Growing up my mother made a lot of stuff from scratch (we didn't live anywhere near a convenience store or anything like that ) but on the other hand, we didn't get organic/fresh produce much either..

My mother didn't let us eat sugary cereals or a whole lot of koolaid.. Unfortunately my father was of a different mind, and if HE did the shopping, well he could be talked into a lot of things..
#49 of 59 Old 12-31-2009, 05:09 PM

Oh goodness...I loved lots of things as a kid that I would cringe at now...spaghettios, elephant ears & funnel cakes, twinkies, pixie sticks, cream cheese & jelly sandwiches, pizza rolls, pop tarts, koolaid....the list goes on. Thankfully we have so many allergies that most of the crap food that was popular when I was growing up isn't even an option for us now.

A lot of it was just the times...those foods were popular. A lot of it was because I was so fricken picky...I don't think I would even touch a veggie that wasn't a raw carrot until last year when we joined a CSA (although since we started joining CSAs, the only veggie I can't stand is eggplant. : ).

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#50 of 59 Old 12-31-2009, 05:14 PM

Oh, and I almost forgot--there were these microwavable pouches of kraft mac n cheese that I loved as a kid. Oh my heavens. Oh and velveeta. And any of the "neon" colored foods--trix, froot loops, etc.

Honestly, I can't even figure out how we AFFORDED to eat all the processed stuff...that stuff is expensive!

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#51 of 59 Old 12-31-2009, 05:31 PM

We ate quite a bit of junky processed stuff when I was growing up, so the list would be long! However, one thing that immediately comes to mind is Fruity Pebbles! Oh my, imagining my DD with all that dye and sugar in her system makes me shudder!

mama to two sweet girliesdust.gifhearts.gifrainbow1284.gif 
#52 of 59 Old 12-31-2009, 05:40 PM

Hmmm the ones that come to mind the quickest are:
Spaghetti Os with the little hot dog pieces (LOVED these and now the thought of them makes me want to throw up!)
Peeps
Doritos- Ok so my Mom never bought these for us, but when we would go camping with my Dad he would buy a HUGE bag of them for us and I can remember driving to camp smooshed next to my sister in his pickup truck eating them and listening to Ozzy, so the memory of Doritos is super affectionate for me ... but they are still nasty lol

Dirt worshiping, creatress Mama to Rowan and Alden - home birth loving, no circ, no vax, extended breast feeding, cloth diapering, baby wearing, cosleeping

#53 of 59 Old 12-31-2009, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllyRae View Post
Honestly, I can't even figure out how we AFFORDED to eat all the processed stuff...that stuff is expensive!
It wasn't always. Even when I first moved out, in 1991, processed food was really cheap, compared to a lot of other things. I noticed a shift in the other direction about 10-12 years ago.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#54 of 59 Old 01-02-2010, 03:38 PM

Anyone remember those hot dogs with the cheese inside? I'm trying to remember what those were called... we thought those were so great when we were little...

We ate healthy dinners with vegetables, 'whole wheat' bread, lower sugar cereals, etc. but like other PPs food habits declined after the Divorce. Dear old Dad in particular liked to stock the house with convenience foods so that he wouldn't have to cook. Microwave pizzas, ramen, hot pockets, etc. and my favorite, the greasy hash brown sticks that you cooked in a little tray in the microwave.

When I went to my first GYN appt they did a blood test and told me my cholesterol was on the high side. Probably from all the crap that we ate!
#55 of 59 Old 01-04-2010, 09:24 PM

Corn dogs with cheese whiz. we lived off of those.

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

#56 of 59 Old 01-04-2010, 11:34 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by windorabug View Post
Butter & sugar sandwiches on wonder bread they were so stinking good!
Oh also Slim Jims & grape soda!
Me too on the sandwiches. Grape or orange soda in a glass bottle was always better than a can.

Dd doesn't like carbonated stuff, so its not an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2rubies View Post
Chef Boy-Ar-Dee pizza in a box. I still can't believe we ate that! We have homemade pizza night here on Fridays, but I do still crave that fake "parmesan" topping sometimes!
We had that when mom didn't have time to make the crust from scratch. I still remember spreading the dried spices on the sauce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post
Not much. We ate pretty well (mom had a good garden, and went "granola" with respect to our food when I was pretty young). BUT, I loved Velveeta. I used to cut slices of it, and dip them in a big pile of Miracle Whip. While we still use Miracle Whip around here, I can't quite imagine my reaction to watching my kids snarf down a plate of Velveeta in a pile of it.
White bread w/ miracle whip was one of my favorites. Mom used to roll her eyes.

But we also raised our own meat (lamb & beef) and always had a huge garden. My gram taught me to bake bread, so we eventually had that more often than not. Most things from scratch.

Mom of two girls.
#57 of 59 Old 01-05-2010, 12:02 AM

My dad was pretty anti-sugar, so we never had sugary cereals or much candy around. And he would ridicule ridiculously non-food-like things like Velveeta (while eating it). We didn't have a lot of money for extraneous, individually packaged snack junk. I LOVED Doritos (still do!), but mom rarely bought them. She'd be much more likely to buy generic pretzels. She was pretty into counting fat grams for as long as I can remember.

Storm Bride, just thinking about eating Velveeta and Miracle Whip at all makes me want to gag. But TOGETHER? Egads. That's nasty.
#58 of 59 Old 01-05-2010, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoteat View Post
My dad was pretty anti-sugar, so we never had sugary cereals or much candy around.
My mom never bought sugary cereals, and she only allowed candy on very rare occasions (Christmas, Halloween, Easter and summer camping trips are all I can remember). But, she may have been a little looser if my grandmother hadn't been letting us eat candy...and she wouldn't have let us even go to grandma's if she'd known how much candy.

Quote:
Storm Bride, just thinking about eating Velveeta and Miracle Whip at all makes me want to gag. But TOGETHER? Egads. That's nasty.
I've known lots of people who eat them together, but only in a sandwich. I didn't bother with the bread. It was my second or third favourite after-school snack (somewhere in there with a big bowl of buttered popcorn, or a couple of "fish" cakes with freezer fries).

#59 of 59 Old 01-05-2010, 04:10 PM

My parents did pretty well, for what they knew. We ate alot of convience foods, and processed foods. I used to love cocoa puffs, fruity pebbles, all of those types of cereals. My mom would let my sister eat an ice cream sandwhich for breakfast because she wouldn't eat anything else. It was probably better then some of the cereal I ate. Ramen noodles, soups filled with msg, dunk a roos, OATMEAL PIES, artificial whip cream, chips, some fast food, etc. Chicken nuggets, oh, and one of my all time fav meals as a kid...hot dogs fried in a pan with potatoes!

With all of that said...my parents fed us well. We did have veggies and fruit available, but us kids never liked to eat it. My mom feels really guilty thinking about the food we used to eat, now that I have ds and am usually quite strict on our choices.

BUT--the good thing is because of our healthy food choices with ds we have greatly influenced my parents, as well as, dps parents lives and choices! I have turned my mom and mom in law into label readers, and I LOVE IT! They not only do it for ds, but for themselves now!!!

caffix.gifChristine: Mama to bouncy.gif  DS 04/17/08  *Infant Stroke Survivor*  Always remembering:  brokenheart.gifbrokenheart.gifbrokenheart.gif

Took a 'break' from TTC and look what happened:  2ndtri.gif!!!!    praying.gif  for a healthy, full term baby to be born August 2012!!  Hoping for a vbac.gif!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page