How long will homemade chicken stock last in the fridge? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 12-13-2009, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It was from a delicious local farm raised chicken that I roasted 4 days ago. I made the stock over the course of the last 2 days. I don't want to give it to my son if I've left it too long. Would it still be good?
#2 of 6 Old 12-13-2009, 05:45 PM

Normally, I will eat leftovers 5 days old. But with chicken stock, I tend to be a bit more conservative, since it's basically the perfect growth medium. I like to boil it every other day if I need to keep it for more than 2 days. So, say I made some on Friday. I'd want to use it or at least bring it to a boil again on Sunday. I would probably still use on Monday for me or DH.
#3 of 6 Old 12-14-2009, 03:10 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I used a cup of it today and then the rest I froze in muffin tins so that I can use them in future dishes. I've read so many different things in regards to the amount of time that homemade chicken broth is good. From 3 days to 2 weeks. Anyways, thaks so much for your response!
#4 of 6 Old 12-14-2009, 10:54 AM

I'm also conservative about stock. If you WANTED to breed fungi or bacteria, chicken stock is the PERFECT medium for doing it. After three days, I want to boil it again before using it. After five days, I don't use it. That's why I like freezing it. Then I don't have to worry about it. You can even freeze bitty portions in an ice cube tray, if you want to be able to put small amounts in a recipe.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#5 of 6 Old 12-14-2009, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I routinely keep stock in the fridge for a week before eating it. I've had soup stay good for 2+ weeks if I forgot about it- but then sometimes it sits too long and needs to be tossed (and the jars are much smellier to clean when that happens!)

Especially if you have a nice layer of fat on the top of the jar, it keeps a fairly long time.

Stock is not a food I'd enjoy eating cold. I heat it fully through before eating it no matter what.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#6 of 6 Old 12-14-2009, 01:57 PM

I try to freeze it the next day after a nice layer of fat is on top. I think I would feel comfortable using it within 3-5 days in the fridge, though.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page