Mothering Forum banner

What is on your Christmas dinner menu?

2K views 51 replies 34 participants last post by  KatWrangler 
#1 ·
In the past my family has always done lasagna. DH and I are not fans of that idea (not to mention the boys and I can't do dairy), so we took over a couple of years ago and made a more traditional dinner. Last year DS was only a few days old, so we gave up control, but we are taking it back this year. So far we know we'll do a ham and DH's green beans, but I still need to figure out the rest.

#2 ·
My step-family growing up did sausage and meatball lasagne. Was the only holiday I wanted to spend with them. There was also copious egg-nog and merengue pies with italian cookies in every nook and cranny. Some people put out the good soaps and holiday hand towels. They put cookies in the bathroom.

But me? I'm boring and I stick to my true favorites for the holidays. I get weird and exotic the rest of the year. So its ham and green beans here, with milk rolls. Will probably try a peanut custard pie. Enjoy your traditional dinner!

#4 ·
champagne cocktails (cheap champagne with pomengrate and lemon) and unknown appetizers (MIL in-law is bringing them)

ham, white lasagna (artichoke hearts) (made ahead), butternut squash soup (made ahead), salad and green beans casserole (borrowed from above)

apple pie and gingerbread for desserts, coffee and bailey for dessert

#6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by julianito View Post
champagne cocktails (cheap champagne with pomengrate and lemon) and unknown appetizers (MIL in-law is bringing them)

ham, white lasagna (artichoke hearts) (made ahead), butternut squash soup (made ahead), salad and green beans casserole (borrowed from above)

apple pie and gingerbread for desserts, coffee and bailey for dessert
white lasagna - I'm gonna have to google it now to see a recipe. anything with artichoke hearts sounds really good

#10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Biscuits & Gravy View Post
I think we've settled on twice baked potatoes now. We can do them ahead of time and do a cheesy version and a dairy free version. Now I need to come up w/ a salad and I think another side.
I do the twice baked potatoes alot, my kids can't do dairy either and they like them alot.

#11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by julianito View Post

These champagne cocktails sound fun and yummy! Do you just add the bottled pomengranite juice and squeeze fresh lemon juice? What are the ratios?

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewsMother View Post
Prime rib, roasted broccoli, curried qunioa with cranberries and nuts and salad was on the menu, but DH is anti red meat at the moment.

I am now considering blackened salmon, jalepeno cheese grits, and pan fried french green beans.
Curried quinoa w/ cranberries and nuts sound delicious! No way would my family (outside of DH and my sons) eat it though. I might need your recipe for us however.

#13 ·
I have our Chateaubriand ordered and will pick it up on Christmas eve. We'll have chateau potatoes, asparagus, peas and homemade rolls to go with it. I have a few different cold and hot appetizers I made that are ready to go (all of the hot apps are in the freezer and just need to be baked and the cold ones need a few days for the flavors to marry). Dessert is a pumpkin pie bought at the local cafeteria that is renowned for its pies.

#14 ·
For many years, I did my family's traditional meal-basically thanksgiving revisited. Then I complained to my sister once that I wound up harried and exhausted and spent the morning wishig the kids would hurry UP and open everything, so I could get the turkey on.

She told me the most amazing thing- she just bought all the fixins for subs and let everyone make their own. No cooking, no hassles, she just hung out and played with the kids.

I was enthralled!! I bought cold cuts, pickles, nice rolls,etc. We had a blast. As the kids have gotten older, we've changed it. I LOVE to cook. So I make an appetizer or two. Each of the family does the same. And that's it! We eat appetizers all day. I'm including some of our favs!

Sausage balls

1 pound breakfast sausage
stuffing mix
bacon
brown sugar

Make stuffing mix according to directions-I do half a bag
let cool
Mix sausage with stuffing, make into bite-size balls. Wrap in bacon (1/2 to 1/3 of a slice), roll in br. sugar. Bake at 350 until bacon is cooked, about 1/2 hour. (we call these heart attacks, but they're delicious!)

Recipe that has no name.

Hollow out a loaf of rye bread by cutting off the top and scooping out the insides. Fill cavity with a mix of a pint of sour cream, a T. of horse radish and a jar of dried beef, that you mix and let sit for a few hours. Use scooped out bread to dip. Waayyyy better than it sounds.

#15 ·
I'm doing turkey with stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy. Our Thanksgiving is in October so we're ready for another turkey by Dec 25! I ordered a fresh free range one from the farmers market - yum
My mom is bringing a cranberry/lettuce salad she makes that is DIVINE. I am also picking up a Ukrainian beet salad from the farmers market when I get the turkey - I had some about a month ago and added it to the menu right away. And we have peas to cook from my parents garden. Dessert is unbaked cherry cheesecake. For an appy I'm doing a seafood dip/spread that is served with crackers and a cheese tray.

#16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Biscuits & Gravy View Post
These champagne cocktails sound fun and yummy! Do you just add the bottled pomengranite juice and squeeze fresh lemon juice? What are the ratios?

Curried quinoa w/ cranberries and nuts sound delicious! No way would my family (outside of DH and my sons) eat it though. I might need your recipe for us however.

B&G, my sister, who is a very picky eater, loved it. I just made up the recipe so my directions should be tweaked according to how much quinoa you prepare. The directions below will feed 2 to 4.

Cook the quinoa according to the directions.

Place a tablespoon or two of curry powder in a dry saute pan over med heat. After about 2 or 3 minutes add 3 or 4 table spoons of oil. Add 2 or three tablespoons of minced garlic. After a few minutes add a handful of dry cranberries and a splash or two of white culinary wine. Simmer for a few minutes. Add this to the quinoa and fluff the mixture. Salt and pepper to taste.

#17 ·
I'm not a big fan of turkey dinner which is what everyone in my family likes for ANY holiday. If I cook on Easter, I do ham. This year, my kids and I are going to be home Christmas Eve and Christmas Day with no one else to accommodate so on Christmas Eve we are having hot & cold appetizers like sausage rolls and Imperial old cheddar with red pepper jelly on Triscuits! I love apps!! For breakfast, we are having Eggs Benedict around 11 (brunch time, the kids can have cereal when they're up at 6!) and then after nap time, we're going to do 'Mexican', i.e. quesadillas, nachos with guacamole and maybe burritos or tacos! Boxing Day we'll be at my mom's and the kids will get their big turkey dinner with mashed potatoes and stuffing (stuffing is the only thing I love about our 'traditional' Christmas dinner).

I wish I had hit my aunt up for a tortiere for Christmas though -- she makes them amazing and they remind me of Christmas dinners when I was little!

#20 ·
For Christmas Eve, we do oyster stew (my favorite of the holiday meals).

On Christmas Day, we're having ham, potato salad, macaroni and cheese, and deviled eggs.

Christmas night, we're going to my mom's for lasagna (not my favorite, hence the large lunch).

On the 26th, we celebrate with my dad, and we'll have appetizers, ******* style (wings, pigs in a blanket, summer sausage and cheese, veggies and ranch).

#21 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Irishmommy View Post
Turkey dinner. Anything else is sacrilege.

The kids want wings. I'll do them too. But it IS sacrilegel

Definately if it was at my house it would be turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes, fresh green beans, homemade cranberries, pumpkin pie and or pumpkin cheesecake, olives etc.

However, its at my ILs so I don't know what she is making. I am thinking turkey or ham.

I will do a ham during the weeka after Christmas. My husband HAS to have ham and beans and cornbread for New Years Day.

#22 ·
This year, it's at our house. A ham, breakfast casserole (DH's recipe and it's outstanding - egg, thick cut bacon, sausage, peppers, red onion and other spices), olives, sweet pickles, pineapple and raisin sauce (for the ham), pasteries, fruit salad, cheesy potato casserole, and a few other items that can be snacked on throughout the day.
We're holding ours as a brunch this year since we're the only stop everyone will be making in the morning/afternoon hours.

#23 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by BetsyS View Post
For Christmas Eve, we do oyster stew (my favorite of the holiday meals).

On Christmas Day, we're having ham, potato salad, macaroni and cheese, and deviled eggs.

Christmas night, we're going to my mom's for lasagna (not my favorite, hence the large lunch).

On the 26th, we celebrate with my dad, and we'll have appetizers, ******* style (wings, pigs in a blanket, summer sausage and cheese, veggies and ranch).
We always did oyster stew on christmas eve too! My kids hate it however, so now I make linguine with white clam sauce.

#24 ·
When I was young, our traditional supper was the normal traditional Quebecois supper... Tourtière (Meat pie), Ragout de pattes (Pig feet stew), Turkey and all the fixings... Sugar pie etc...

Now our traditional supper is "Chinese" fondue... (thin slices of beef cooked in a hot flavourful broth at the table)... we have been doing this on Xmas eve for the last 20 years...

It is great because there is little preparation... just make a salad, cut a few veggies, make a few dipping sauces and bread and then we spend a long time at the table just eating and enjoying each others company...

Of course we finish it off with Sugar pie and other treats...

#25 ·
We traditionally do a baked, glazed ham, scalloped potatoes, applesauce and mac & cheese (for the veggies and picky adults - my kids won't eat it!). The other dishes are subject to change, but usually include either mashed butternut squash or roasted veggies or sometimes french-style green beans w/almonds or possibly even corn, plus rolls of some sort (gluten free these days). Desserts include frosted cookies and pies and seasonal ice creams.

#26 ·
Our big meal is on Christmas Eve, which is DH's family tradition and I love it! DH's specialty is lasagna and he does that only a couple times a year. YUMMY!!! However, this year we are having a roast, mashed potatoes, and veggies plus a green salad. I haven't decided on a dessert, yet.

On Christmas Day, we eat something easy during present-opening and playing, then take a picnic lunch to the beach for a few hours. This year, we'll have elderly guests, so we're going to skip the picnic lunch and do brunch at home before going to the beach. The beach this year will be one where our guests can stroll along a boardwalk of some kind instead of our usual walk through the sand and waves beach. One of our guests is taking us all out to a great Chinese restaurant for dinner. This has been our family tradition for a few years now and it is fun!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.