What can I make with red beans - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 12-30-2009, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That is not Chili.
A while ago (read 2008) we bought 25 pounds of red beans but apparently we have a hard time using them in things other than CHili. I think we have gone through no more than 5 pounds since then.
While I love Chili I would like to use more of them in other things. Any ideas? Spam me recipes.

Pernille, Married to : mom to my 2 littel boys :4/12/07 and : 8/24/09
#2 of 6 Old 12-30-2009, 03:38 PM

Cajun Style red beans and rice!

If you are in a store, browse the latest issue of Cook's Illustrated for an article on how to make them more authentic I don't really use a recipe, but I found it interesting and got some helpful hints (I don't have the issue I just read it in the grocery while I was waiting on DH!).

mama to two sweet girliesdust.gifhearts.gifrainbow1284.gif 
#3 of 6 Old 12-30-2009, 03:43 PM

ummm... tacos? Bean and cheese quesadillas?

Chicken enchiladas with beans added in?

Bean salad of some kind.

Baked beans. If you can, you could make up a batch and store them.

That's all I got.

HTH
V

Happy Momma to DD (almost 3) Fall Coleslaw -- Simple Italian Stuffed Peppers -- - Fall Toddler Activities.- We Made a Play Kitchen Selling gently used books on all topics here.
#4 of 6 Old 12-30-2009, 05:55 PM

MeasureIngredient
1 pounds Red Kidney bean or Pink
Beans -- Rinsed/picked over
And soaked overnight -- (or
Quick method)
¼ cup Olive oil
2 4 slices
4 Cloves minced fine garlic
1 Onion -- finely chopped
1 Green bell pepper -- finely
Chopped
1 cup Tomato sauce
1 tablespoon Red wine vinegar
½ cup Dry sherry
¼ 1/2 t
1 pinch Salt & Pepper
3 quarts Water -- for soaking beans
1 Bay leaf
Bacon
Sp. dried oregano

1. To the beans and their soaking water, add a bay leaf. Bring to a boil over high heat, cover, turn off heat, and let sit for one hour quick cook method. Or, soak beans over night first. After one hour, simmer until the beans are tender, add more water if needed. 2. Prepare a "sofrito" which is the basis of a lot of Cuban cooking as follows: Heat the olive oil in a medium size skillet over low heat. Add the bacon, garlic, onion, and bell pepper. Reduce heat to low, and cook, stirring, until the vegetables are tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Add the tomato sauce, vinegar, sherry, oregano, salt and pepper, and cook stirring until thickened, 10 to 15 additional minutes. 3. When the beans are tender, add the sofrito you made in step 2, stir to blend, and cook over medium heat an additional 30 minutes or until the consistency is thick and rich (like pork n beans). Lower heat if necessary. Be careful the beans don't stick to the bottom of the pot and burn. Add more water if beans thicken too much during the cooking process. Discard the bay leaf and serve the beans with white long grain rice. Note: I modified the recipe to save $, fat, and time. The original recipe calls for 1/4 pound slab bacon, cut into 1/4-inch dice, and 1/2 pound boneless pork, cut into small dice (optional ingredient). Both ingredients are cooked as a part of step two. Also, there is an additional bell pepper, which I omitted, in the recipe that is diced fine, and soaked over night with the beans and one bay leaf. This recipe is delicious served with BBQ chicken, pork roast, pork ribs, etc., or simply with rice. The red wine vinegar and "dry" sherry mellow and give the beans a wonderful flavor. I use Balsamic red wine vinegar. Enyoy! Recipe By : MsSailor Fil

In my house, we also add potaoes, squash, chorizo, and ham hock.
Enjoy!

Dalila, mom to two boys, 7 and 5

490/2013

#5 of 6 Old 12-30-2009, 08:55 PM

2 more ideas...

pasta e fagioli (sp?) soup

minestrone

ETA: I added red beans to our split pea and ham soup this year. You can't taste a difference.

V

Happy Momma to DD (almost 3) Fall Coleslaw -- Simple Italian Stuffed Peppers -- - Fall Toddler Activities.- We Made a Play Kitchen Selling gently used books on all topics here.
#6 of 6 Old 12-30-2009, 09:10 PM

I make something similar to these coconut beans with kidney or red beans myself. It's simple and very tasty. (I think the 1 garlic clove really means 1 small onion. . . I believe I make it with an onion and 2 cloves garlic).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page