What's in your green smoothie? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 12-31-2009, 03:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
We've been doing a ton of yogurt smoothies lately but I'm a little afraid to "go green".....what do your kids love and not even notice??

lovin DH since 1/04, best mom for my 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), one 13 wk (10/13) and 5/15 just your average multigenerational living family!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 24 Old 12-31-2009, 04:11 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceful_mama View Post
We've been doing a ton of yogurt smoothies lately but I'm a little afraid to "go green".....what do your kids love and not even notice??
Spinach! It's the most 'flavorless' of the smoothie greens, and the color can be really fun for kids. =)

cruelty-free, beastie-full!
#3 of 24 Old 12-31-2009, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayward View Post
Spinach! It's the most 'flavorless' of the smoothie greens, and the color can be really fun for kids. =)
:

Spinach is the easist to hide taste wise. Once they're ok with that (or once you're ok with that) I find kale and collards to be pretty easy to hide as well, but definitely more noticable than spinach. If you read some of the stuff by the green smoothie gurus out there, they'll say to only include greens and fruit in your smoothies. I have a hard time eating enough protein in the morning, so I usually put in an egg (raw eggs don't skeeve me out, ymmv) and some kefir. This morning my smoothie was: 1 banana, 1/2 tall can of mandrin oranges (my mangos need another day or two to ripen), handful of frozen raspberries, 1 egg, 1 cup kefir, about 3-4 oz spinach. I shared some of this with my 2yo, who throws a fit if I make a smoothie and drink it before he gets any. My 4yo won't touch these things with a 10 ft straw. He already had a "green things" aversion when I discovered green smoothies. My 2yo has been drinking them with me since he was about 1, and loves them. I intend to get dd (only 2 weeks right now) hooked on them when she starts solids before my 4yo turns her against all things nutritious also.

Amanda, mama to Owen (11/05) and Connor (10/07) and Aria (12/09) Recycled Wool Longies and Reusable Baggies
#4 of 24 Old 12-31-2009, 01:08 PM

Rainbow chard is also pretty easy to hide. Children love green smoothies, but you have to give it to them confidently or have them help you make it. If you set a green mush in front of most kids and stand in front of them to see how they react, they will sense that something is up.

We use either rainbow chard or spinach combined with pineapple and/or mangoes if they are in season. A bit of water (less than a cup) can be used to make it more liquid. Sometimes we throw in goji berries, but that's it. I'm not a fan of bananas in the smoothies because it makes me gassy, this may not be true for others.

Have fun and experiment with it.

I love green smoothies.
#5 of 24 Old 01-01-2010, 01:52 AM

spirulina, brewer's yeast, hemp/flax seeds, avocado and spinach.
#6 of 24 Old 01-01-2010, 02:21 AM

What's in it that's actually green? Spinach in ours. I tried kale, but didn't like the little bits. I'm going to try to be more adventurous in my garden this year and try chard, so I'll also be adventurous in my blender with it.

I load the kids up with bananas and berries, and make sure to put it in an opaque cup with a lid and a straw for the 4 year old. She used to not have any issues, but one day, woke up and decided she would not be drinking anything green.

Single WAHM to 5yo DD, 2yo DS, and forever 7 week old angel DD.
#7 of 24 Old 01-01-2010, 02:20 PM

DD is 8 and is a much more fussy eater than when she was younger. Sigh.

I made my first "green smoothie" last week. I tossed in carrots & spinach (fresh from Farmer's Market) first, then covered those with frozen (by us from fresh fruit earlier in the year) raspberries & blueberries, and 1/4 bag of frozen cherries. (Our yogurt was no longer fit to eat, so I skipped it and decided not to add any "extras" this time around.) Blended and added organic not from concentrate grape juice until good consistency. I made this when no one was looking and presented it as a "smoothie" alongside a cooked breakfast DH prepared for all of us (eggs and something else???). Neither of them like most of what I put in the "smoothie", but they both liked the end result. It was a beautiful color and had a strong berry flavor. Not one hint of carrots or spinach. I like everything I put in it and loved the drink! (Ultimately, I made it for me and only poured each of them a small tasting amount and myself a large glass. They both asked for more, however, and we all ended up with a decent serving size. )

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#8 of 24 Old 01-01-2010, 02:30 PM

Baby spinach & baby carrots can both be added easily without changing the flavor at all.
Spirulina goes over well here also, it does have a bit of a stronger flavor but it's somewhat sweet....and it's nice to keep on hand for days when we're out of greens.

For myself & DS, I've found we can easily add 2-3 cups of spinach & a handful of baby carrots to almost any fruit smoothie. Any other lettuce / greens, more than a handful will change the flavor, and I don't even like them w/ much in it....DS will not drink it if it tastes "lettuce-y".

Also - it goes over much better if you drink it too, then just give it to the kids.... DS & I will usually share one jar/glass with two straws.

If the green color turns your kids off, use blueberries, the smoothie will be purple instead of green.
Or chocolate - one of our favorites still is bananas, spinach, ice, & cocoa powder. "Chocolate Ice Cream"
Another one that's not too green is Watermelon, strawberries & celery (devein/destring the celery first!), and tastes great.

(We've been making green smoothies since DS was an infant; he loves them all now, and drank almost any of them from about 9 or 10 mos on....but went through a LONG phase in the middle of refusing to even take a sip of any that were green colored)

Mom to A 11/06: Researching : to grow our family
#9 of 24 Old 01-01-2010, 02:31 PM

Dh and I do yogurt smoothies, but would love to add some green to them, these sound great!!!

Dirt worshiping, creatress Mama to Rowan and Alden - home birth loving, no circ, no vax, extended breast feeding, cloth diapering, baby wearing, cosleeping

#10 of 24 Old 01-02-2010, 07:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My standard green smoothie is about 2 leaves of Kale, 1 banana, handful of nuts (walnuts, almonds, cashews, or hempseeds), ice (it has to be cold for me), and a little water.
#11 of 24 Old 01-02-2010, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

what's spirulina? I have carrots in the house all the time hadn't thought of them, and spinach is somehting I could easily do. mmmmm and they love blueberry so they'll be purple like they always are

lovin DH since 1/04, best mom for my 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), one 13 wk (10/13) and 5/15 just your average multigenerational living family!!
#12 of 24 Old 01-02-2010, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

oh yeah I also have a GIGANTIC thing of flaxseeds but I canNOT for the life of me remember to throw some in my smoothie!!!! ??

#13 of 24 Old 01-03-2010, 11:14 PM

Quote:
oh yeah I also have a GIGANTIC thing of flaxseeds but I canNOT for the life of me remember to throw some in my smoothie!!!! ??
If you have a coffee grinder or smaller food processor (blender may also work, not sure?) grinds some up & keep in the fridge, you can just add a spoonful to smoothies (yogurt, soup, oatmeal, whatever) as you remember that way.

Spirulina is a blue-green sea algae.
http://www.herbwisdom.com/herb-spirulina.html
http://www.healthrecipes.com/benefits_spirulina.htm

Mom to A 11/06: Researching : to grow our family
#14 of 24 Old 01-05-2010, 02:24 AM - Thread Starter

It'll be OK? I heard they might go bad if ground early? (maybe I am thinking about leaving them out, or it applies to having like my entire container ground)

#15 of 24 Old 01-05-2010, 04:47 PM

Quote:
It'll be OK? I heard they might go bad if ground early? (maybe I am thinking about leaving them out, or it applies to having like my entire container ground)
I keep my ground flax seeds in the freezer. They will go bad fast if left in the pantry.
#16 of 24 Old 01-06-2010, 05:44 PM

These are all great ideas.

I am 30 wks pregnant, and I have been feeling a bit ill the past few days. The only thing that sounds palatable is my smoothies, mostly fruit, and only a tiny bit of yogurt. I have been throwing in a handful of spinach, but I really think I need to bump up the protien a little because I have not been able to eat much of anything else lately.

As I am preg, I am a little wary of raw eggs. Does anyone have ideas to add protien to the smoothies?
#17 of 24 Old 01-06-2010, 05:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
MiaMama: I like adding a handful of nuts. That little bit of fat from the nuts makes it quite tasty too. I use walnuts, almonds, pecans, cashews, or hemp seeds. Walnuts grind up the best. You could also use a protein powder like whey, pea protein, or soy.
Or just add more yogurt, or a greek yogurt.
#18 of 24 Old 01-06-2010, 07:11 PM

I like putting kale in mine but if I don't blend it up well enough kale bits can make me gag.

I also like spinach, ground flax, walnuts, strawberries, raspberries, goji berries, yogurt (nondairy) oranges, blueberries

Not all those who wander are lost 
#19 of 24 Old 01-14-2010, 01:21 PM

Today's smoothie (dairy free) is 2 kiwis, 2 huge handfuls of spinach, 2 small bananas, juice of one cara cara orange and a bunch of blueberries. Serves 1 adult and 2 short people. Yum!

Liz

Wife, and mother to a small fairy, a demolition expert, a special new someone this fall and a small dachshund.
#20 of 24 Old 01-14-2010, 04:07 PM

Mine was blueberries, strawberries (I buy a bunch of berries in season and freeze) spinach, goji berries, ground flax and orange juice.

#21 of 24 Old 01-14-2010, 05:18 PM

Just finished drinking my green smoothie. Today it was baby spinach, pear,mango, a bannana and water. I also added some E3live into it. I'm so in love w pears right now so I'm adding them in alot. I love pear w pineapple and bannana as well. Lately, since its been cold i've been doing some fruit frozen and some room temp so they are not so cold. In the summer when its hot here I tend to do mostly frozen fruit.
Other things I add depending on what I feel like having:

Hemp nuts
Dulse flakes
Goji berries
Maca
Raw Cacao

I usually add in blueberries and strawberries if I want berries. Greens I like Kale or spinach depending what I have. Ds is a little over 3 and helps me make them everyday. He has a special cup and loves them. He started drinking them when he was around 1.5 yrs old.
#22 of 24 Old 01-14-2010, 05:47 PM

Spirulina and blue-green algae give green smoothies a huge energy and nutritional boost, come in powdered form, and are easily covered up (as long as you don't use too much) with bananas, mangos, blueberries etc. To cover up the color for little kids though, you would definately need blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, carrots, or small amounts of beet juice (beautiful fuschia color with small amounts).

Homeschooling, homebirthing, co-sleeping, breastfeeding, cloth diapering, APing, UC, super crunchy mom to Ezra(9), Adrian(5), and Lily(May 15) : Non-vaxed mom and babes
#23 of 24 Old 01-14-2010, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cetan Luta View Post
Spirulina and blue-green algae give green smoothies a huge energy and nutritional boost, come in powdered form, and are easily covered up (as long as you don't use too much) with bananas, mangos, blueberries etc. To cover up the color for little kids though, you would definately need blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, carrots, or small amounts of beet juice (beautiful fuschia color with small amounts).
Would saving the cooking water from cooking beets be useful at all in coloring the smoothie?

#24 of 24 Old 01-14-2010, 07:12 PM

Me afro.jpg reading.gif Wife and Mom to modifiedartist.gif cat.gifdog2.gif.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page