Crumbly biscuits - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 01-02-2010, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I made these biscuits yesterday http://www.mothering.com/recipes/better-butter-biscuits

and they were very crumbly. Meaning, they fell apart into chuinks when I tried to slice them in half. Can someone tell me what might have gone wrong? I followed the recipe excactly. I know most biscuits call for shortening, but these are butter (which I was excited about!), is that the problem?
#2 of 10 Old 01-02-2010, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbactivist View Post
I made these biscuits yesterday http://www.mothering.com/recipes/better-butter-biscuits

and they were very crumbly. Meaning, they fell apart into chuinks when I tried to slice them in half. Can someone tell me what might have gone wrong? I followed the recipe excactly. I know most biscuits call for shortening, but these are butter (which I was excited about!), is that the problem?
You might try a longer kneading time.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#3 of 10 Old 01-02-2010, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llyra View Post
You might try a longer kneading time.
Thanks, I will do that. Do you think the baking powder amount sounds right? BEcause they tasted pretty strongly of it...
#4 of 10 Old 01-02-2010, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Thanks, I will do that. Do you think the baking powder amount sounds right? BEcause they tasted pretty strongly of it...
That is a lot, isn't it? Could it be an error, maybe-- three TEASPOONS sounds about right to me.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#5 of 10 Old 01-02-2010, 08:36 PM

My bisctuir recipe calls for 2 c of flour and 3 tsp of powder, so I'd go with that.

And definitely knead it longer. The less kneading, the crumblier they are. 20-30 strokes should do it fine, and still give you a tender product.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#6 of 10 Old 01-03-2010, 01:00 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I usually use 4 teaspoons baking powder for 2 cups flour. Other thoughts: I find that the amount of milk I use can vary; seems to depend on humidity, in part--you want the dough to be fairly soft, though not super-sticky. Could also experiment with the amount of fat in the recipe. See what happens with up to 1/3 cup of butter.

Mom of two girls.
#7 of 10 Old 01-03-2010, 01:12 AM

I made biscuits for Christmas brunch.

3 Tblsp of baking powder is a lot. Like others, my recipe is 1 Tblsp (equal to 3 tsp) to 2 cups flour. I also use 1/3 cup margarine/butter for that amount of flour.

and 3 minutes of kneading?! I knead my biscuits as little as possible. I essentially fold them over gently until it holds together and pat the dough out to cut. I probably only 'knead' the dough a dozen times or less.

Sara:  Playing ref to my jumpers.gif    Sweet Pea 10 read.gif Tootle Pants 7 bouncy.gif& Trouble Monkey diaper.gif 18 mo

#8 of 10 Old 01-03-2010, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the info everyone. I have made biscuits before, but none are fantastic, I thought it was because I don't use shortening. I will defnitely try the suggestions ehre. I wonder if there's a way to contact montehring mag and tell them that there may be an error in the ingredients amount...
#9 of 10 Old 01-03-2010, 09:39 PM

Yeah, I think they biffed it on the amount of baking powder. Go with a tablespoon.

I never have the patience to make pretty biscuits - I make drop biscuits. And I like them on the crumbly side, but I know there's a difference between tender and slightly crumbly vs falling apart and inedible!
#10 of 10 Old 01-04-2010, 12:07 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks for all the info everyone. I have made biscuits before, but none are fantastic, I thought it was because I don't use shortening. I will defnitely try the suggestions ehre. I wonder if there's a way to contact montehring mag and tell them that there may be an error in the ingredients amount...
shortening vs butter shouldn't make that much difference. Just....a slightly different flavor. I do agree not to work the dough too much.

I have access to recipes...but years ago, my dad and I set out to recreate his grandmother's biscuits, you know, the ones that get taller and lighter every time the story is told. He remembered not too much fat to 2 cups flour (1/4 to 1/3 cup is about right) and working the dough only a little. A very hot oven is important--I usually go about 450 degrees F. But the whole thing is very forgiving, really, and I enjoy the process of perfecting the product. There was a very funny "Good Eats" episode once, pitting Alton Brown against his grandmother in the battle of the biscuits. Science vs. "feel". I think it was a draw.

Mom of two girls.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page