If I go dairy free... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 01-02-2010, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What do I drink with my espresso?

Such a serious problem, I know.

After three months of sinus issues (feels constantly like I'm coming down with a cold, but the cold never comes, just slight stuffiness and plugged up ears), I think I need to eliminate dairy (not to mention my mom and sister have major dairy issues).

Sour cream in going to be the worst. I love sour cream. But I can do it.

I could just drink black coffee, but my parents were so nice to buy me the $70 espresso machine for christmas, instead of the $30 one I would have been happy with.

Soy isn't an option, yuck yuck yuck. My sister is dairy- (and soy-, gluten-, caffeine-, meat-) free, and uses hemp milk, I've never tried it. Coconut milk? Almond? Rice?

Which is best with a little splash of hazelnut or vanilla syrup?

~Dawn

Blah blah blah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 01-02-2010, 06:28 PM

Soy milk doesn't foam up well at all anyway. Coconut milk sounds delicious, but don't know if it foams well, but sounds good enough to try!

Wife to DH and mama to DD(7) blahblah.gifand DD(5) moon.gif...Lola the Wiener Dog dog2.gif, Faulkner the Little Giant dog2.gif, Ginger the Wonder Cat cat.gif,  Azkaban the blue parakeet, Sunny the yellow parakeet, 3 nameless hermit crabs, and a whole bunch of fish!

#3 of 16 Old 01-02-2010, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

Doesn't really have to foam up, I'm not a foam snob, lol, but I bet it would, considering you can whip it. Or maybe not, that's usually done when cold. Oh, well, it's probably the most nutritious.

~Dawn

Blah blah blah
#4 of 16 Old 01-03-2010, 12:03 AM

It is a serious problem Nothing else is quite as good as cream or milk. I think the tastiest alternative is coconut milk (the kind that comes in the 1/2 gallon carton, not the thick kind in the can), but honestly it doesn't hold up well against coffee (great in tea). I think you might want to try hemp or almond milk. Almond milk seems to cut the coffee the best, but has a distinguishing flavor. I have also seen hazelnut milk at certain specialty stores, that actually might be very good, although I haven't tried it yet. I think it will be a matter of personal taste. Rice milk is too thin, hemp milk tastes good but also thin. I know someone who uses a splash of the international creamers to make her coffee taste better (but they have trans fats). I would avoid the trans fats, but I admit there isn't something out there that replaces milk or cream quite as well.

homebirthing organic mama to three crazy boys very blessed!!
#5 of 16 Old 01-03-2010, 12:13 AM - Thread Starter

I think I'll try oat milk because I have about 5 lbs of organic steel cut oats that I bought at costco.

~Dawn

Blah blah blah
#6 of 16 Old 01-03-2010, 12:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've used coconut milk before and that's delicious. I get the full fat kind and it's really great.

mom to one glorious sweetpea born 10/18/2007.

#7 of 16 Old 01-03-2010, 12:21 AM

I'm an occasional coffee drinker and so far Vanilla flavored almond milk has worked for me.

Married to DH 7 years and have three fantastic kiddos! DS 6, DD 4, and DS 2 ...... lo and behold another is on the way!

#8 of 16 Old 01-03-2010, 01:26 AM

So Delicious now makes a coconut milk creamer. Tastes much better than straight coconut milk, and you can buy it in plain, hazelnut, or french vanilla flavors. You might have to ask your hfs to order it, since it just came out in the fall and not many places stock it yet. By far, my favorite in my (decaf) coffee.

Jessica
GF/CF mommy to Lauren (July '06) and Janie (October '08)
#9 of 16 Old 01-03-2010, 09:52 AM

Another vote for the So Delicious. If you cn't do that, WFN carries a powdered coconut milk that would work, too, but it does have trace dairy.

KerryAnn @ CookingTF dot com - Nutrient dense foods your kids will LOVE!  Real Food Cooking School and Lactofermentation Classes now live! Use coupon code "CTF" for 20% off.

#10 of 16 Old 01-03-2010, 08:49 PM

soy (before I realize soy was an isue too) and coconut milk creamer were gross to me so I've taken to drinking my coffee black. you get used to it. nothing can really replace the cream imo so nothing was living up to my expectations.
#11 of 16 Old 01-08-2010, 04:21 AM

I really like oat milk made into hot chocolate. Oat milk is naturally pretty creamy and sweet!

The So Delicous coconut milk is good; I bet their creamer is too!

High-tech Hippie Mama to Dd1 (9/22/06), Dd2 (2/25/10) and Ds (05/27/2013). I eat Clean, cloth diaper, and spend way too much time online.

#12 of 16 Old 01-08-2010, 10:44 AM

I use soy. Specifically unsweetened Silk. It is thick like half and half but very little fat. I do not like anything sweet in my coffee so the unsweetened is the only one I will use. I realize you don't want soy. I don't know if there are any good creamy non-dairy alternatives that aren't soy. I tried Dari Free, rice, almond, oat, and hemp milks. To me they were all too watery for good coffee. BTW I also use the Tofutti soy sour cream. I don't know if there are any good non-dairy sour creams made from anything but soy.

DS1 March 2003DS2 Sept 2005,
and 3 , in our happy secular
#13 of 16 Old 01-08-2010, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
When I make coconut milk yogurt, I don't use much sugar in it. Then I can use it as regular yogurt by adding fruit and sugar, or I can use it for savory things (putting it on baked potato, or making dill/onion dips). I also use it in baking. It's quite versatile.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#14 of 16 Old 01-08-2010, 06:49 PM

I gave up dairy recently, and this was a big issue for me as well.

Based on my very thorough experimentation the best by far is fresh made almond milk...or almond "cream". I basically make almond milk with less water than my recipes call for so it's a bit thicker. It turns the coffee the right color and tastes good. It's true that it leaves a nutty taste, but I find it very pleasant.

Second and third...store bought almond milk and coconut milk.

good luck!

Blissed out mama to 3 beautiful boys love.gif LIFE IS GOOD! thumb.gif

#15 of 16 Old 01-08-2010, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calynde View Post
I gave up dairy recently, and this was a big issue for me as well.

Based on my very thorough experimentation the best by far is fresh made almond milk...or almond "cream". I basically make almond milk with less water than my recipes call for so it's a bit thicker. It turns the coffee the right color and tastes good. It's true that it leaves a nutty taste, but I find it very pleasant.

Second and third...store bought almond milk and coconut milk.

good luck!
Do you have a recipe for your almond "cream"? I'm using store-bought unsweetened vanilla almond milk and it's passable, but not quite right. Thanks!
#16 of 16 Old 01-08-2010, 08:15 PM

I don't dairy, and I don't do soy either....ver, VERY little anyways. Soymilk was extremely hard for me to give up since i adore it in my coffee. And I *am* a coffee snob LOL. I live in latte land and we seriously love coffee around here! I don't like just coconut milk because it's too greasy for coffee IMO, and nut milk just isn't creamy enough. I started making my own creamer because usually the thickers in products upset my stomach. I take a can of coconut milk, and put it in my vitamix with 2 ounces of almonds and 2 ounces of cashews, and 2 cups of water. I like a tablespoon of good vanilla and a pinch of stevia or sweetner. Blend on high for a good minute. Even though I have a vitamix i still strain it through a jelly bag and there is just very little pulp left.

This is REALLY good IMO. I think the cashews make it a little more creamy. I do NOT like hemp milk it's bitter and weird tasting IMO.

Most nut milk recipes are like 1 cup or 4 ounces milk for 3 or 4 cups water. This is fairly rich. You can also make chocolate by addinga 1/4 cup good cocoa powder. My kids really like it out of the glass!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page