Sigg water bottle - alternatives? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 01-05-2010, 11:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am wondering if anyone knows of an alternative water bottle that is similar to the Sigg bottles. I was attracted to them because they were supposed to be chemical-free, no BPA, etc., plus they are said to be durable. We have one for my four year old and I am just not that impressed. The gasket that makes a seal around the inside rim of the spout is peeling away, and the spout itself is so hard that my dd actually knocked a tooth loose on it! Fortunately, the tooth has tightened back up now... Also, the water bottle has become dented easily, although the dents are minor.

I want to get a nice, safe water bottle for my other child's 2nd birthday and was wondering if anyone knows of a good one. She is able to handle the Sigg bottle that my four year old uses just fine. I want to ditch the sippy cups forever - just sick of the straws tearing up and then not being able to find replacements, plus I want something nicer that will be long-lasting.

Thanks!!
#2 of 17 Old 01-06-2010, 01:13 AM

I beleive news came out a little while ago about sigg's actually having bpa, IIRC.

Anyways, I love kleen kanteens. they are stainless steel (I know some people worry about the nickle or cadmium content, but I feel stainless is pretty safe and EVERYTHING has something bad for you so its just about balance), so heavier than siggs. They're pretty durable. I mean, the bottom is a little dented, but it still works fine. I mean, those guys have banged around in my trunk, been dropped down rocky hills, and more, and they're still barely at all banged up. They have a wider mouth than the siggs, and work great just sipping from them, but they also sell "sports caps" (the things where it pops up) and sippy cup caps. They also come in several sizes.

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
#3 of 17 Old 01-06-2010, 01:43 AM

Klean Kanteen - we love it! They have a short one we use for our toddler - the tall ones for us. Also, the Crocodile Creek ones are safe, cute and kid-friendly.

loving mommy to DD (3/08), brokenheart.gif our little strawberry (7/10). brokenheart.gif little seedling (10/10). brokenheart.gif little pear (4/11). Praying for a Rainbow - due Nov!

***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***rainbow1284.gif**

#4 of 17 Old 01-06-2010, 02:08 AM

We love our Foogo Thermos straw cups You can order replacement parts from Thermos customer support.... you just have to call and tell them what you want/need (for refrence straw sets are $1). For adults we love the nalgene/guyot designs stainless steel bottles - their the same shape/size as nalgene's old plastic bottles but totally stainless steel w/ heavy duty plastic lids.
#5 of 17 Old 01-06-2010, 09:28 AM

KK are made in China. That's a deal breaker for me. The new Siggs have a different liner that is BPA-free. You can call them and exchange your old one for a new one. I think the website is sigg.ch (CH being Switzerland).
#6 of 17 Old 01-06-2010, 09:56 AM

I use a Nalgene "everyday" which is BPA free. i love it

--------------------------------------------------
Mom to Baby Boy born 2/3/2010
#7 of 17 Old 01-06-2010, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

We have a newer Sigg that has a BPA-free liner. But a friend of mine had a major hassle with exchanging her old ones... it took them weeks and weeks to mail replacements to her. I wasn't happy w/ their customer service at all... their voicemail system was actually too full to receive more messages, but they did respond to emails at least.

So, what are the spouts/straws like on the Kleen Kanteens, the Crocodile Creek ones, and the Foogo thermoses? I need something my kids can't chew off. And does Nalgene make a kids' water bottle? We have a few older plastic Nalgenes, but I know my 2 yr old wouldn't be able to drink out of those w/o a big mess!
#8 of 17 Old 01-06-2010, 03:22 PM

I'm not happy with Sigg currently. We replaced all our old siggs w/new ones. But the liner on the brand new bottle my older dd uses is peeling away around the top of the bottle. It began about 1 1/2 mths after we got it. I've contacted Sigg twice regarding this problem and have not received a response.

I personally will not buy another Sigg bottle. They've lied to/deceived the public about the safety of their original bottles, and now they're not handling this current problem at all. I read about the problem of the new liners peeling before my dd's did, and that they haven't addressed it. And yep, they haven't addressed mine either. Fortunately the other new bottles we have are fine as far as I can tell. But:

Why is the liner peeling? What is under the liner, or what substance that binds the liner to the bottle is failing and possibly getting into the liquid in the bottle. And how can you tell if the liner is peeling away w/in the bottle itself? I'm concerned for my other "okay" bottles.

I recommend staying away from Sigg.
#9 of 17 Old 01-06-2010, 04:58 PM

The straw sets on the thermos' are silicon & plastic, but their pretty heavy duty - and like I said, you can always order replacements for $1 DS1 has actually only chewed through one of them, and another just got gross after a while so it got replaced too. The spouts on the sippies are some sort of rubbery-plastic and pretty heavy duty. I think their like $2 to replace... we've replaced them a couple times cause they got super gross as sippy spouts do
#10 of 17 Old 01-06-2010, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamadelbosque View Post
The straw sets on the thermos' are silicon & plastic, but their pretty heavy duty - and like I said, you can always order replacements for $1 DS1 has actually only chewed through one of them, and another just got gross after a while so it got replaced too. The spouts on the sippies are some sort of rubbery-plastic and pretty heavy duty. I think their like $2 to replace... we've replaced them a couple times cause they got super gross as sippy spouts do
And does it cost much to ship them? Maybe it would be a good idea to order a few replacements right away to save on the shipping cost...
Thanks for the info, I will look into this brand as well as the others mentioned.
#11 of 17 Old 01-06-2010, 05:22 PM

We found stainless steel water bottles at Meijer (grocery store) for $3 each. They are extremely durable and work great!

Momma to Sweet Rosie 7/06, Lost Baby J 1/09 at 12 weeks pregnant, Spitfire Ada born 4/21/10, and Baby Boy due July/August 2013!
Aspiring urban homesteader, photographer, homeschooling momma! Blog link in my profile. 

#12 of 17 Old 01-06-2010, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendlynnn View Post
Klean Kanteen - we love it! They have a short one we use for our toddler - the tall ones for us. Also, the Crocodile Creek ones are safe, cute and kid-friendly.
I have a Klean Kanteen myself. It's a 12 ounce one that I keep on my desk at work and share with DS on the weekends.

One happy mama to 1/06 , 3/10 , and married to my best friend
#13 of 17 Old 01-08-2010, 01:52 AM

I love my Klean Kanteen. They make a little 8 oz one which is great for little kids. You can get it with an Advent sippy spout, but I would just skip that entirely and go for the sports top.
#14 of 17 Old 01-08-2010, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobmom View Post
I love my Klean Kanteen. They make a little 8 oz one which is great for little kids. You can get it with an Advent sippy spout, but I would just skip that entirely and go for the sports top.
So is the sport cap easy for a 24 month old to use? Could she open and close it herself, or does it rely on pressure from the mouth? With the Sigg cap, you have to push against it a bit with your mouth while drinking to get it to open, which my little one has figured out now on her sister's water bottle, but it took her awhile to learn it. I want to get her a water bottle she'll be able to use immediately.

Also, anyone know if the Avent spouts are hard plastic, or are they flexible? I'm also guessing that Avent is a WHO Code violator, yes? So that would give me an ethical dilemma there...

Thanks for all the info everyone has provided!
#15 of 17 Old 01-08-2010, 06:21 PM

Shipping isn't bad though your definetly better off ordering multiple at once vs one at a time (last time we orderd a bunch of stuff for sippy cups, straw cups & DH's coffee pot and it was just like $20 w/ shipping). Honestly, I think thermos has some of the best customer service for this sort of stuff - I've tried to order replacement parts for other stuff from other companies and just been told I'd have to buy a whole new thing.
#16 of 17 Old 01-08-2010, 09:21 PM

I love my Klean Kanteen! I use it daily and it's held up well.

S~ Peace loving, natural living, FuNkY vegan mama to Keiran bouncy.gif 23/Dec/06:
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter" ~~ MLK
#17 of 17 Old 01-08-2010, 10:23 PM

we have siggs, klean kanteen, eco kanteen (looks just like klean kanteen) and green bottle. Pretty much every "natural" grocery store I've ever been in sells some kind of metal water bottle. Also many other stores (target, old navy cvs etc) although if you want one NOT mic....I dunno

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page