diet for kids with adhd - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 01-08-2010, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
not sure if this is the place to ask... i know i read someplace about a diet for kids with adhd... is it the fiengold (sp) diet or is there another one? if so what is it and do you have a link?

h

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

#2 of 14 Old 01-08-2010, 02:36 PM

HOnestly, the first place I'd start would be removing sugar and refined grains. That really does the trick for me.

If that didn't work, I'd probably look into something like Feingold, which I know several people on here have had good luck with.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#3 of 14 Old 01-08-2010, 02:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Have you read Kenneth Bock's book, Healing the New Childhood Epidemics?

http://www.amazon.com/Healing-New-Ch...2972650&sr=8-1

It seems like it would depend on the underlying causes, that book talks mostly about gfcf, and scd for some kids with more digestive issues.

Feingold and Failsafe would remove various chemicals, Feingold is mostly artificial colors/flavors (it's more than that, but I think it's mostly manmade chemicals) and Failsafe addresses naturally occurring food chemicals, salicylates and amines, that occur in normal foods like grapes and honey.

Seems like it can take some experimentation, and maybe a combination--some folks may need to remove a couple different classes of things (specific foods, plus some sort of food chemical perhaps).
#4 of 14 Old 01-08-2010, 02:48 PM

Yes, Feingold. We're on modified Feingold, not for ADHD, but for food intolerances that result in eczema, headaches, and disturbed sleep. However, I will say that we started this Feingold-type diet when dd was only about 2 years old and she has always been a very calm, reasonable, happy child that has never, ever had a temper tantrum and has an age appropriate attention span and respect for others (she's almost 8). Although, after she attends a party, for example, I can see that she has a harder time listening and keeping attention on a task.

So, what I'm saying is that we've been almost 100% all natural for nearly 6 years now, so I have a hard time comparing it to a non-all natural diet, but I've definitely seen the benefits of all-natural and some signs of what it would be like without it. I'm not sure that she'd be dx as ADHD, but she would not be able to contain herself and reason as well as she does if she were not on the modified Feingold.

You might contact the user Ruthla. I know her kids (maybe just her son, who is close to my dd's age) is or was on strict Feingold and I think it was for ADHD, and she could answer any questions you have. She answered some of mine many years ago.

Good luck!
#5 of 14 Old 01-08-2010, 08:24 PM

Isn't the GAPS diet supposed to help with ADHD?

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#6 of 14 Old 01-09-2010, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaofthree View Post
not sure if this is the place to ask... i know i read someplace about a diet for kids with adhd... is it the fiengold (sp) diet or is there another one? if so what is it and do you have a link?

h
You can find information about the Feingold diet at www.feingold.org This is the website for the support group. Yahoogroups has a Feingold group that can be helpful while you are deciding whether to join.

When one eliminates sugar and refined grains and gains success, it is usually not due to the sugar or refined grains (unless there is gluten intolerance) but due to the additives that are in most all of those products.

Our family has so benefited by this diet. Give it a try!
#7 of 14 Old 01-09-2010, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmom327 View Post
Isn't the GAPS diet supposed to help with ADHD?
I think that would be more dependent on the underlying cause. GAPS and SCD are pretty similar in a lot of ways, the beginnings are different but the general idea and the allowed foods are quite similar.
#8 of 14 Old 01-09-2010, 05:48 PM

For us the combination of the GAPS diet with a full spectrum probiotic, fermented cod liver oil and a proper ratio EFA supplement have completely alleviated all ADHD symptoms in DH and DS1.

Completely organic GFCF diet with no sugar, additives or dyes makes a huge difference too, and is what we tend to do, but I wouldn't say that it's a complete removal of all symptoms like GAPS is.

Also, we went through the worse before it gets better phase as everyone detoxed, so be aware that it could happen and don't give up.

Aimee CageFreeFamily
Mama to Quinn 7, Nichola 3, & Simone 5wk
#9 of 14 Old 01-09-2010, 07:10 PM

Does anyone want to explain some of the acronyms being used. I don't think they are well-known, other than ADHD.

GAPS?
GFCF?
EFA?
SDC?

Help us poor ignorant people.
#10 of 14 Old 01-09-2010, 07:29 PM

So sorry, obviously I don't get out enough.

GFCF--gluten and casein free, the proteins in wheat/barley/oats/rye and a few other less common grains, plus dairy proteins, cause problems for some of us (people react in many different ways to these, sometimes digestive, maybe rashes, maybe more neurlogical)... some of the non-GF grains (grains that do not contain gluten, I mean, that tend to be staples in a GFCF diet) are rice, buckwheat, corn and quinoa, but there are others

SCD--specific carbohydrate diet, is a very specific list of foods that tries to limit/eliminate one form of carbohydrate in order to reduce digestive stress and create a good environment for a healthy balance of gut bacteria--there are no grains, no dairy except for long-fermented yogurt, and a specific list of fruits and veggies and I think one or two legumes... it was apparently originally designed for celiacs working to heal the digestive damage done by their reaction to gluten, it's not also used a fair amount in the autism spectrum disorder community, moreso by kids who have significant digestive issues

GAPS--a very similar list of allowed foods as SCD, but the beginning of the diet is different, and it focuses more TF/Weston Price foods, homemade stock, fermented vegetables (gotta say homemade kimchee is really, really yummy), and it only adds in dairy carefully, but overall the idea is very similar to SCD

EFA--essential fatty acids, essential because we need to consume them via diet, we cannot make them in our bodies... the typical Western diet contains a low ratio of omega-3 fatty acids (DHA & EPA, the kinds that are plentiful in fish) vs omega-6 fatty acids (soybean oil, corn oil, most liquid oils have a lot more omega-6s, nuts and seeds are high in omega-6 as well, as are legumes like chickpeas, plus conventionally raised meat and eggs--but pastured meat and eggs have a much more balanced ratio--you can see why most diets are imbalanced toward too much omega-6).

One thing about EFAs, some people don't make one type of omega-6 well, GLA (gamma - something - acid) and so sometimes a supplement that includes that type of omega-6 is very helpful.
#11 of 14 Old 01-09-2010, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
So sorry, obviously I don't get out enough.
That makes two of use

GAPS stands for Gut and Psychology Syndrome which was a book written by Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride who does research on disorders such as autism and other related issues out of the UK.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#12 of 14 Old 01-10-2010, 07:20 AM

Thank you, gals. And thanks for the in-depth explanations. It make a lot of sense. A quick question... not trying to hijack the OP's thread, but isn't casein a dairy product/byproduct? So on the gluten-free/casein-free diet, is that equivalent to also being dairy free?

The reason I ask is because dd is on modified Feingold, but dd gets as much dairy as she wants. We've been having a harder time than normal managing her eczema this winter. TIA!
#13 of 14 Old 01-10-2010, 11:48 AM

I do Feingold and feel much better eating this way.

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." -Plato
#14 of 14 Old 01-10-2010, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velochic View Post
Thank you, gals. And thanks for the in-depth explanations. It make a lot of sense. A quick question... not trying to hijack the OP's thread, but isn't casein a dairy product/byproduct? So on the gluten-free/casein-free diet, is that equivalent to also being dairy free?

The reason I ask is because dd is on modified Feingold, but dd gets as much dairy as she wants. We've been having a harder time than normal managing her eczema this winter. TIA!
Casein is the major protein in milk/milk products, so most people are totally dairy free. We've been okay (no symptoms) occasionally using Purity Farms ghee, they used to label that they tested for casein and were casein-free, the label's changed now, but I've kept it in our diet (it's expensive, so it's a special treat occasional thing). But otherwise, we're dairy free.

At different points, we have had different sensitivities to gluten, and I think casein would be the same, but we haven't had dairy x-con as much as gluten x-con. So exactly how sensitive someone is is a trial-and-error thing.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page