high-protein breakfasts for 4-y-o - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 01-16-2010, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Any suggestions? It's murder to get her to eat enough before she goes to preschool and I'd love to get something in her tummy that would really stick with her.

Does anyone have any favorite breakfasts appealing to a 4-year-old?

Thanks!
Jen
#2 of 16 Old 01-16-2010, 10:57 PM

Hardboiled eggs are a big hit here right now. Actually, they have been since last Easter!
#3 of 16 Old 01-16-2010, 11:06 PM

my DD is older than yours, but she enjoys a scrambled egg sandwich with bacon; the "novelty" of a sandwich for breakfast was a good selling point early on

wild.gif  kickin' it old school
#4 of 16 Old 01-17-2010, 01:01 AM

At 4, I've had good luck with hardboiled eggs, scrambled eggs, a chunk of cheese or a handful of nuts, depending on the child.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#5 of 16 Old 01-17-2010, 01:06 AM

Custard or mini quiche were hits here (until we had to drop eggs).

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005
#6 of 16 Old 01-17-2010, 01:19 AM

Boiled eggs and oatmeal (with frozen blueberries thrown in) are favs here right now.

Carly [29] + DH [27] + DS [9]

TTC my second and his first!

#7 of 16 Old 01-17-2010, 01:24 AM

Maybe a breakfast smoothie type things that is high in protein? Maybe add milk or cottage cheese to it. Anything mixed with sweet fruit, I think a 4yo would like! It's quick too!
#8 of 16 Old 01-17-2010, 07:51 PM

I don't know how much protein is in yogurt, but my two will often eat yogurt with dry cereal and dried fruit stirred in. Otherwise, we're in the oatmeal and eggs camp.

dust.gif & superhero.gif :: 9/2004
#9 of 16 Old 01-17-2010, 10:36 PM

My 4 yr old is on a toasted whole wheat English muffin sandwich with PB & jelly kick right now. Breakfast for us consists of that or whole wheat bagel with PB or cream cheese or oatmeal with frozen blueberries (the frozen blueberries cool the oatmeal quickly). Protein is a must for us every schoolday breakfast. Drinks are usually whole milk hot chocolate - I find the whole milk keeps her fuller longer.
#10 of 16 Old 01-19-2010, 02:18 AM

I'm a fan of eggs for breakfast and would experiment to see how your LO likes them. (scrambled, boiled, deviled, fried, fried in a hole in the bread, cooked really thin and rolled up with a little cheese or jam... I dunno. My boy likes them scrambled softish with sea salt or ketchup.) Fast, cheap, nutritious.

cottage cheese, cheese quesadillas, yogurt, nut or seed butters, a little mason jar with nuts and raisins to eat on the way to school, homemade muffins (can make ahead, and do very lightly sweetened and high-protein by using recipes for coconut and/or almond flour which use a lot more eggs than normal muffins, adding chopped nuts and seeds). Meat if you eat that (we don't).

Personally we stay away from cold cereal or toast except as more of an occasional treat/snack. My guy is super active and has tons of energy and so I hear you on the kids doing much better with "real" food in the morning. He usually has steel-cut oatmeal with flaxseed meal, topped with a smidge of maple syrup and whole milk, an egg, and fresh seasonal fruit. But, he has plenty of time to eat (early riser).

dissertating mom to three

#11 of 16 Old 01-19-2010, 03:10 AM

My kids love smoothies. they also love yogurt either plain with fruit or little individual cups. (Those are a MAJOR treat, I rarely buy them)

Also pretty much ANY favorite food that is easy/quick prep from *any* time of day (leftover pizza, a favorite sandwich--if my kids find leftover pizza the next AM, they will usually want it, DS1 went on a big turkey sandwich phase for awhile last year...)

They do pretty well with whole-grain toast with choice of topping and a fruit.

When I make pancakes, I make extra and freeze if I think of it. those are quick-thaw and yummy.

lovin DH since 1/04, SAHM to 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), and one 13 wk (10/13) just your average :ha ng multigenerational living family!!
#12 of 16 Old 01-29-2010, 11:26 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, everyone! These are great suggestions. Can't wait to try them.

Jen
#13 of 16 Old 01-30-2010, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofsage View Post
Any suggestions? It's murder to get her to eat enough before she goes to preschool and I'd love to get something in her tummy that would really stick with her.

Does anyone have any favorite breakfasts appealing to a 4-year-old?

Thanks!
Jen
Hi Jen I have a lovely thread about breakfast meals which nobody seems to be paying any mine to. Its all good though. I hope the few information I have on it will be helpful to you.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...2#post14958872

Worlds Best Mom
#14 of 16 Old 02-02-2010, 01:21 PM
REV

I heat up frozen Jones Dairy Farm sausage links. It takes 1 minute in the microwave, and the kids love them. Ingredients are: pork, water, sea salt, spices, and sugar. I get a big bag from costco.

Rachel
#15 of 16 Old 02-02-2010, 01:43 PM

make your own mini sausage patties- ground meat (pork, turkey, chicken) mixed with dried sage, nutmeg, salt, pepper (or not), paprika, and onion powder.

eggs in a nest- cut out an egg-sized circle from bread, crack egg into circle on a hot pan, cook until almost done, then flip and cook 1/2 min more.
#16 of 16 Old 02-02-2010, 02:57 PM

My DH makes egg sandwiches in the morning. English muffin, ham, poached egg, cheese. Both our boys tend to not like yolk but will eat the whole egg scrambled. DH uses the egg poacher to make scrambled egg puffs. Just scramble the egg first before putting into the poaching cup. Then he puts that on the muffin for them.

My boys also love grape-nuts. Spoonful of peanut butter, mix into a small amount of grape-nuts and a touch of sugar. Then milk on top.

We are also big into real oatmeal. (not the instant or quick kind)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page