What would you serve at a wedding/party? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 01-16-2010, 11:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here's the set-up.... not technically a wedding, it will be a family joining ceremony type thing. Something for our family and close friends to come together and help us celebrate. Our real wedding will be just dp and myself somewhere far away from everyone else So this is pretty much it for our families. It will be very relaxed, casual, hopefully outside late this summer (beginning of August).

We've thrown around some ideas for foods, and hit Sam's Club today to get pricing (we will probably do most everything ourselves and skip a caterer). Here's our ideas so far....

mini chicken egg rolls
meatballs (2 different kinds, maybe one italian type, one bbq/spicy bbq)
wings (dp is insisting... lol)
southwestern egg rolls
deli spiral sandwich things
mini quiches
veggie tray
salsa and tortilla chips
chips/pretzels
salad
pasta salad
mini cheesecakes
some sort of cake/cupcake (leaning towards cupcakes)

And of course bottled water, soda, juice boxes for the kiddos (100% juice, of course), lemonade or punch or something, maybe iced tea.

Any other ideas? We're looking at between 50-100 people (rough guest list is almost 80 right now, it may climb higher but some people may not come because it's out of state for them). We want to do more of a "grazing" thing than a full sit-down meal but a lot of guests are from out of town so we don't them to leave hungry either!

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#2 of 14 Old 01-17-2010, 12:49 AM

Have you thought about who is going to cook the food (reheat, whatever), serve the food, keep the tables replenished? I'd get that sorted before worrying about the menu, which sounds awesome!
#3 of 14 Old 01-17-2010, 01:05 AM

Honestly, I would simplify the meats a bit. I think 2-3 is plenty!
We did 2 sets of food at our wedding - we had our ceremony and dinner with our closest family and friends (about 30 people) and our reception followed with a hundred or so people and appetizers/drinks.
For dinner we had roasted chicken (from the deli -rewarmed on the grill), green salad, tomato/cuke salad, and I think baked sweet potatoes and white potatoes.
For the reception we had meatballs, weiners, veggie tray, fruit tray, shrimp tray, cheese and crackers, chocolates, and cake. My aunt brought Chex mix and I think we did have chips/dips, too.

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005
#4 of 14 Old 01-17-2010, 03:43 AM

Are you going to have enough tables and chairs for everyone to sit down or will this be more of a standing and mingling thing? I ask because it makes a difference whether you serve things that need a fork to eat (i.e. salad).

I'd probably simplify and diversify the menu (haha, I know that sounds conflicting). Just one kind of meatball, one kind of egg roll. Otherwise it just complicates things for no good reason since the guests probably won't know which ones are which anyway. A big tray of pulled pork would be delish and if you set it out with little rolls, people could make their own mini-sandwiches. It's a good, hearty option for those who have more of an appetite.

I always like shrimp cocktail for a party, but outside in KY in the summer might not be best, unless you keep it on ice.

I'd dedicate one table to the desserts and have lots of variety on it. That will make it very festive and celebratory if you're not having a centerpiece-type cake. People love having a dessert table with lots of bite-size/single serve options. The mini-eclairs would be a good addition to what you have. Another idea would be a fruit platter (with or without a chocolate fountain ).
#5 of 14 Old 01-17-2010, 09:37 AM

I agree...simplify simplify simplify (uh, and that would make it easier for us with food allergies to keep an eye on our kids and make sure they're not eating things they shouldn't since we'll be there too. : )

I'd say maybe 2 meat/main things (like the meatballs & wings), then fruit & veggie trays, and the chips/crackers/etc. Then some cupcakes and drinks. Since you're in Kentucky and August is HOT, I'd skip anything that could spoil/melt (cheeses, cheesecakes, quiche, mayo-based products, etc.) That's probably a bit risky. If you simplify, you won't be cooking for 48 hours straight right before the party! :

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#6 of 14 Old 01-17-2010, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks y'all! The plans may be changing... lol.... I went to a bridal fair today and got some more ideas from different vendors. One of them is a bbq place with good prices (less than $10 per person, including various meats, 3 sides, bread/butter, plates/utensils, lemonade and iced tea). We are now thinking we may do that and add some other sides/appetizer things/drinks/deserts. Then we don't have to worry about the main menu, just the extras. Hmmmm.... something to think about.

Location may also be changing from outside to inside. I'm torn on that one.... lots to think about.

#7 of 14 Old 01-18-2010, 02:51 AM

Dh and I did our own food for our wedding - we had more guests than you're expecting (I think around 300) but this is what we did:

A day ahead, we assembled everything (a big work party) - and my sister who was going to be responsible for making sure that food was topped up etc., got to see where everything went and how we wanted it set up.

We served:
Deli trays and sandwich rolls (ham, turkey, roast, Swiss, Cheddar; with lettuce, tomatoes, mustard, mayo, butter)

Fruit Trays (strawberries, pineapple, melons, grapes)

Pasta Salad 1 (more 'gourmet' if pasta salad can be gourmet )
Pasta Salad 2 (standard family favorite version)
Potato Salad (standard family favorite version)

Relish Trays
Chips

Dessert Table:
Cream Cheese Wedding Mints
Mixed nuts
2 groom cakes
Wedding cake

Drinks:
Water
Lemonade
Weinhards Rootbeer keg
Pony kegs of a microbrew and something 'standard' like Budweiser

It looks pretty simple I guess - but we saved a TON of money (we did have the deli put the meat/cheese trays together for us I think); I had worked for a caterer for years so knew how to set up to look nice, and we made sure that there were detailed lists of what to put out when and how many extras we had for things. Food still was a big portion of the cost of our wedding, but it cost us a lot less than if we'd hired someone to do it for us.

If you don't hire someone else to do this for you, you want to make sure you really think out what you'll need (how many plates, how many appetizer plates, etc. - allow in for people to throw away the plate with BBQ sauce on it and get a new one, because that's what they'll be doing, etc.).

Not all who wander are lost.
#8 of 14 Old 01-18-2010, 03:10 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
My faves for parties are spinach dip and deviled eggs.

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
#9 of 14 Old 01-18-2010, 03:33 PM

What we did for our wedding reception, outdoors in summer in CA... bought a whole roast pig from a local caterer (about $125), and set up a salad bar. Trader Joes cheesecakes for dessert (with fresh berry sauce).

Really easy, really cheap, and doesn't require a lot of attention during the party - everything can be pre-done.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#10 of 14 Old 01-18-2010, 05:05 PM

Although most people don't do this, having the sandwiches without any dressing (no butter, mustard, mayo, etc) and the dressing available on the side makes them much easier for people with food allergies/sensitivities to be able to eat it.

This weekend I went to a wedding that did that and it was on of the first receptions I have been able to eat at in my 40 years. A sandwich I can deconstruct and a veggie tray means I can actually consume some food, because anything called "salad" is probably out (allergy to onions/onion powder) and anything with sugar or flour is out right now (trying to get my blood sugar under control and still on the learning curve). With sandwiches I can remove the bread and get some protein, and eat veggies, as long as they don't have dressing on them.

Mom to 10yo Autistic Wonder Boy and 6yo Inquisitive Fireball Girl . December birthdays.

#11 of 14 Old 01-18-2010, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Z View Post
Although most people don't do this, having the sandwiches without any dressing (no butter, mustard, mayo, etc) and the dressing available on the side makes them much easier for people with food allergies/sensitivities to be able to eat it.

This weekend I went to a wedding that did that and it was on of the first receptions I have been able to eat at in my 40 years. A sandwich I can deconstruct and a veggie tray means I can actually consume some food, because anything called "salad" is probably out (allergy to onions/onion powder) and anything with sugar or flour is out right now (trying to get my blood sugar under control and still on the learning curve). With sandwiches I can remove the bread and get some protein, and eat veggies, as long as they don't have dressing on them.
I've planned and executed two casual type weddings, and we did a variety of meats, cheeses, condiments, veggies and sliced buns. Then people could make their own sandwiches. With this we provided potato salad, a green salad and fruit trays, pickles etc.

I agree that it's nicer to get to construct your own sandwich with food sensitivities etc.

I am not crunchy enough for this forum. Everyday I get a little crunchier though! :
#12 of 14 Old 01-18-2010, 05:41 PM

I'm assuming you have tables and all that set up for easier eating options where people can use utensils and not stand around eating out of a napkin.

I would have a build your own sandwich type thing either ham/ turkey/ pulled pork or something similar with cheeses and buns

A macaroni or potato salad and cut up fruit

Pickles & Chips & cupcakes

Really price everything out because sometimes a meal like this is a lot cheaper than buying premade appetizers. Almost all of this can be bought at Sams club also.
#13 of 14 Old 01-18-2010, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter

Lots of yummy ideas!! Thanks everyone! We will keep thinking and pricing things and figuring out options. Keep those ideas coming!

And to answer the question about tables- yes, there will be plenty of tables/chairs for people to sit down and eat

All I know so far is there will be wings. That's dp's one insistence in all this

#14 of 14 Old 01-18-2010, 07:42 PM

Since this is outside, would people be interested in sitting on blankets on the ground?

eta - Don't forget ice. Either for the drinks to be in or if any foods need to be sitting in ice to keep them chilled.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page