Can my frozen carrots be used? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 5 Old 01-20-2010, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had some carrots in a compartment of my fridge that must have gotten too cold and they froze. I know typically carrots are supposed to be cooked or blanched before freezing. Can I still use these in a soup or something or should I toss them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 01-20-2010, 01:57 PM

I'm not a huge expert in this but I know that keeping carrots in the ground over the winter is one method of "preserving" them - just go out, brush off the snow off the tops and yank them out when you need them.

Of course the ground insulates differently than your fridge.. but I can't imagine your carrots aren't fine.

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#3 of 5 Old 01-20-2010, 01:58 PM

I have always sliced and frozen raw carrots without blanching first. I didn't realize you were supposed to! I add them into soups and they alway seem just fine.

Pregnant and/or Breastfeeding since 2005
Mama to two girls: 5/06 and 3/09
#4 of 5 Old 01-20-2010, 02:13 PM

The texture might change just a bit-- if you use them raw, they won't be quite as crisp. The blanching before freezing helps protect the texture. But otherwise, they're fine. This has happened to us so many times.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#5 of 5 Old 01-20-2010, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Great! Thank you! Carrot soup it is

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page