Where to buy organic diced tomatoes in glass jars - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 34 Old 01-20-2010, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Anyone know of a source for organic diced tomatoes packaged in glass jars? I love to make pico de gallo but I've stopped making it since learning the dangers of canned tomatoes. I hate dicing my own. I always end up with seedy mush! Blech.
#2 of 34 Old 01-20-2010, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would like to know this too. Practically our whole diet is based on canned tomatoes in one form or another! Sad but true, LOL. We use them weekly for pizza, soup, pasta dishes, etc. I died a little when I found out they are considered unsafe by a lot of people.

My Etsy Shop
Acorn Dolls~Wool Felt Crowns~Children's Craft Kits~Shooting Stars~Dancing Fairy Rings~Come On Over and Play!
#3 of 34 Old 01-20-2010, 07:20 PM

I would love to know this too. I've changed a lot of what I do in the kitchen to avoid ANY canned goods...haven't used many in the last 9 years....but have even quit tomatoes in the last three years or so. Often, if I'm out of fresh tomatoes, I just do without...and I hate that.

SAHPilot Mama to a 5yoson, a 17 mo old daughter, and wife to .
Worried about your baby's head shape? PM me for craniosynostosis info!
#4 of 34 Old 01-20-2010, 07:35 PM

I don't see jarred tomatoes much either, but was just going to mention you can get boxed diced tomatoes (pomi? it's an italian brand) almost as easily as canned tomatoes, and I think (not sure, though) that packaging doesn't have the issues canned tomatoes do.

there's an old thread about the canned tomato issue, actually.
#5 of 34 Old 01-20-2010, 09:59 PM

A good Italian grocery might have them.
#6 of 34 Old 01-21-2010, 06:00 AM

For most recipes I use jarred pasta sauce or jarred salsa. I did find these products online that I'm going to try next time I make an order (jarred tomatoes and jarred tomato paste).

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

#7 of 34 Old 01-21-2010, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkimum View Post
I don't see jarred tomatoes much either, but was just going to mention you can get boxed diced tomatoes (pomi? it's an italian brand) almost as easily as canned tomatoes, and I think (not sure, though) that packaging doesn't have the issues canned tomatoes do.

there's an old thread about the canned tomato issue, actually.
Thanks. I may try the Pomi tomatoes. I haven't heard anything bad about boxed packaging. Hopefully that won't be the next big news story!
#8 of 34 Old 01-21-2010, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by robugmum View Post
A good Italian grocery might have them.
Thanks! But I'd have to drive 400 miles or more to find an Italian grocery store! I'm lucky to have walmart where I live!
#9 of 34 Old 01-21-2010, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprons_and_acorns View Post
I would like to know this too. Practically our whole diet is based on canned tomatoes in one form or another! Sad but true, LOL. We use them weekly for pizza, soup, pasta dishes, etc. I died a little when I found out they are considered unsafe by a lot of people.
Yeah, I know how you feel. We love canned tomatoes, tomato paste, salsa, pico de gallo, pizza - you name it - tomatoes, tomatoes, tomatoes. When I found out canned tomatoes were toxic I nearly lost all ability to function in the kitchen!

Anyone have any tips on dicing your own? I was told you have to peel them first. Ugh! How the heck do you do that? Which type of tomatoes are easiest to dice? I can only get organic cherry or grape tomatoes here which are impossible to dice imo.
#10 of 34 Old 01-21-2010, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Past_VNE View Post
I would love to know this too. I've changed a lot of what I do in the kitchen to avoid ANY canned goods...haven't used many in the last 9 years....but have even quit tomatoes in the last three years or so. Often, if I'm out of fresh tomatoes, I just do without...and I hate that.
Yeah, me too. I really miss tomatoes! I just won't buy canned tomatoes anymore. We don't eat canned anything with the exception of Tuna, and of course that worries me too!
#11 of 34 Old 01-21-2010, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemom2 View Post
For most recipes I use jarred pasta sauce or jarred salsa. I did find these products online that I'm going to try next time I make an order (jarred tomatoes and jarred tomato paste).
Thanks for the link. We use a lot of tomato paste (or we did before I knew about the dangers of canned tomatoes), so this is a good source for that. My kids eat tomato paste on whole wheat crackers with a slice of garlic on top for a snack? Can you believe that?
#12 of 34 Old 01-21-2010, 03:46 PM

Even with jarred tomatoes, isn't there the same concern with the lid? I thought all the lid liners had BPA, which was the problem with home 'canning' (jarring). Anyone know anything about this?

cruelty-free, beastie-full!
#13 of 34 Old 01-21-2010, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayward View Post
Even with jarred tomatoes, isn't there the same concern with the lid? I thought all the lid liners had BPA, which was the problem with home 'canning' (jarring). Anyone know anything about this?
The canning jar lids for home canning do have a small amount of BPA but I think for most of us, it ends up being an acceptable alternative because the food doesn't use touch the lid and even if it did briefly, that's no where near the exposure of having the entire can lined with BPA.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#14 of 34 Old 01-21-2010, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Dear God! Please don't give me something new to panic over!!! (Just kidding).
#15 of 34 Old 01-21-2010, 08:27 PM

Quote:
You're right, even the lids contain a small amount of BPA in the liners. However, for me, a little in the lid of my jarred tomato products is somewhat acceptable. I mean, I'd rather it not be there at all, but since I try to avoid most other products with BPA, I'm okay with it. I also like to can and we store a lot of our food in jars (leftovers, dry goods, etc. . .). . .I guess I can't flip out about everything just try to stay away from places where it is too much--does this make sense?

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

#16 of 34 Old 01-21-2010, 11:05 PM

Yes, there's BPA in most lids. But the contact surface is VERY low compared to the jar, often it's as close to 0% as you can get. Whereas, in cans, the tomatoes are in contact on the bottom, top and all the way around.

Don't forget that any boxed foods in direct contact also have BPA. Boxed milk, soy milk, boxed chicken stock, etc. etc. are all in complete contact with the BPA liner.

have more to say and have missed the last several replies...babes ready for bed. sorry.

#17 of 34 Old 01-21-2010, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Yes, there's BPA in most lids. But the contact surface is VERY low compared to the jar, often it's as close to 0% as you can get. Whereas, in jars, the tomatoes are in contact on the bottom, top and all the way around.

Don't forget that any boxed foods in direct contact also have BPA. Boxed milk, soy milk, boxed chicken stock, etc. etc. are all in complete contact with the BPA liner.

have more to say and have missed the last several replies...babes ready for bed. sorry.
Trader Joe's says their boxed products are BPA free. While there may be some boxes with BPA, I think it's generally a safer alternative.

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
#18 of 34 Old 01-21-2010, 11:55 PM

Bionature has tomato paste in little glass jars, but I don't know of a diced tomato in glass.

To be perfectly honest, I don't trust Trader Joes word on what is or is not in their products. Other folks on here have emails from them stating that they did *NOT* have bpa in their canned goods from a year or so ago. But of course now they claim to have never said such a thing. So, yeah. Take anything they say with a grain of salt I would.
#19 of 34 Old 01-22-2010, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Whereas, in jars, the tomatoes are in contact on the bottom, top and all the way around.
you mean tins right?
#20 of 34 Old 01-22-2010, 01:04 AM

How about buying dehydrated or freeze dried tomatoes, like these from Just Tomatoes? That could be another alternative. I did notice Bionature had "strained" tomatoes. . .I wonder if that's more like tomato sauce??

Wow, does all chicken stock have BPA in the containers?? Even like Pacific brand?? Ugh. . .what's worse, making my own from factory chicken (all available here) or buying the Pacific broth online with BPA in the box

#21 of 34 Old 01-22-2010, 01:29 AM

Quote:
You're right, even the lids contain a small amount of BPA in the liners. However, for me, a little in the lid of my jarred tomato products is somewhat acceptable. I mean, I'd rather it not be there at all, but since I try to avoid most other products with BPA, I'm okay with it. I also like to can and we store a lot of our food in jars (leftovers, dry goods, etc. . .). . .I guess I can't flip out about everything just try to stay away from places where it is too much--does this make sense?
It makes perfect sense. =) And that's my attitude as well, and we store ALL our leftovers in jars instead of tupperware.

I was just wanting to make sure I was remembering correctly.

cruelty-free, beastie-full!
#22 of 34 Old 01-22-2010, 07:17 PM

I've been wondering about the 'strained tomatoes' from Bionature as well. I saw them in the store the other day (they were quite a bit more expensive than vitacost!) and was tempted to get them, but it would be nice to know what they are like. Anyone tried them?

mama to two sweet girliesdust.gifhearts.gifrainbow1284.gif 
#23 of 34 Old 01-22-2010, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robugmum View Post
you mean tins right?
Oops. Yes, that's what I meant. I edited to fix it. Thanks!

#24 of 34 Old 01-23-2010, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahmmie View Post
Yeah, I know how you feel. We love canned tomatoes, tomato paste, salsa, pico de gallo, pizza - you name it - tomatoes, tomatoes, tomatoes. When I found out canned tomatoes were toxic I nearly lost all ability to function in the kitchen!

Anyone have any tips on dicing your own? I was told you have to peel them first. Ugh! How the heck do you do that? Which type of tomatoes are easiest to dice? I can only get organic cherry or grape tomatoes here which are impossible to dice imo.
To peel tomatoes, you have to score them with an "X" at the bottom and put them in boiling water for a minute or two until you see the peel peeling away a bit. Run them under cold water and they peel pretty easily thereafter. Yes, cherry or grape tomatoes whould be a PITA. Roma tomatoes or other more fleshy types would be best, as there are fewer seeds and liquid to get rid of. Other tomatoes, you are wasting more money as much of the weight is in the seeds/liquid.

Apparently doing it rong and ruining it for everyone, but I don't give a crap anymorebanana.gif

#25 of 34 Old 01-23-2010, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by amma_mama View Post
To peel tomatoes, you have to score them with an "X" at the bottom and put them in boiling water for a minute or two until you see the peel peeling away a bit. Run them under cold water and they peel pretty easily thereafter. Yes, cherry or grape tomatoes whould be a PITA. Roma tomatoes or other more fleshy types would be best, as there are fewer seeds and liquid to get rid of. Other tomatoes, you are wasting more money as much of the weight is in the seeds/liquid.
Thanks for the tips! We like roma's so I'll give it a try. Walmart is getting more organics so maybe they will have organic romas one day. In the meantime we may have to sacrifice and eat non-organic tomatoes instead canned tomatoes.
#26 of 34 Old 01-23-2010, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
How about buying dehydrated or freeze dried tomatoes, like these from Just Tomatoes? That could be another alternative. I did notice Bionature had "strained" tomatoes. . .I wonder if that's more like tomato sauce??

Wow, does all chicken stock have BPA in the containers?? Even like Pacific brand?? Ugh. . .what's worse, making my own from factory chicken (all available here) or buying the Pacific broth online with BPA in the box
What a fabulous idea! I hadn't thought of that. I do buy from Just Tomatoes but I have never tried rehydrating them. I'll give it a try. Thanks for your suggestion!
#27 of 34 Old 01-23-2010, 04:28 PM

Quote:

The cartons from Pacific foods are made with polyethylene plastic, #4, which doesn't contain BPA. The one you want to avoid for BPA is #7 plastics.

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
#28 of 34 Old 02-13-2012, 06:21 PM

I read on the Eden products site . Their Tomato products ( in Glass) have an additional seal that separates the product from making contact with the lid. Their products canned have ( in the can ) a coating that reduces the PBA level  to a .005 ppb. which is far below most levels in other products. And what is considered safe by food industries.

#29 of 34 Old 02-13-2012, 08:41 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I'm so glad you brought up this thread. I'm really excited to find the tomato past in jars. http://www.bionaturae.com/tomatoes.html

And I've been considering the pomi products. They get good reviews on amazon. We just recently reintroduced tomatoes into our daughter's diet and I'm so happy to have them back and to find BPA free packages.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#30 of 34 Old 02-14-2012, 04:55 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)

I just wanted to add - making paste is very EASY! and you can pack and freeze the amount you want - with all products they are best to use all of it up within a short amount of time - if you make your own (I do 2tbsp & 4tbsp packs) I just take out what size I need-often I don't need a larger amount for a week or two in-between and I can add what I want or don't want to the paste--there are BPA free bags as well for freezing-just a thought

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page