BLW and mom's very restricted diet - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 01-27-2010, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(x-posted in life with a babe.)

I've been doing BLW with my DS and he LOVES food. At first I was careful about things like dairy and grains, but he hasn't shown any sensitivity to anything. So now he eats whatever I'm eating (unless it's processed or high in sugar) and things have been going great.
Unfortunately, I've started having a lot of digestive issues (I have crohn's disease) and my doctor told my to avoid dairy, soy, and gluten. Well there goes most of my diet! So I can't decide if I should have DS follow my dietary restrictions or not. On one hand, I want him to experience a lot of food now while he's totally open to trying whatever I put in front of him. I was an extremely picky eater as a kid and I don't want him to be like me. On the other hand, there is a very good chance that my diet as a child greatly contributed to my digestive issues. I'm just not sure what to do.

Thoughts? Advice?

Single Mama to Vincent 3/30/09
#2 of 2 Old 01-27-2010, 02:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamiPolizzi View Post
(x-posted in life with a babe.)

I've been doing BLW with my DS and he LOVES food. At first I was careful about things like dairy and grains, but he hasn't shown any sensitivity to anything. So now he eats whatever I'm eating (unless it's processed or high in sugar) and things have been going great.
Unfortunately, I've started having a lot of digestive issues (I have crohn's disease) and my doctor told my to avoid dairy, soy, and gluten. Well there goes most of my diet! So I can't decide if I should have DS follow my dietary restrictions or not. On one hand, I want him to experience a lot of food now while he's totally open to trying whatever I put in front of him. I was an extremely picky eater as a kid and I don't want him to be like me. On the other hand, there is a very good chance that my diet as a child greatly contributed to my digestive issues. I'm just not sure what to do.

Thoughts? Advice?
First, check out: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

You're restrictions actually sound very primal!

As for exposing your boy to lots of foods while he's young, you can still do this! Dairy soy and gluten really don't eliminate the foods you really want to expose kids to young, like a wide variety of fruits vegetables and proteins.

I've recently been diagnosed celiac, and eat primal, so here are some awesome substitutions so you and your ds are getting variety and fun in your everyday diet.

Check out www.elanaspantry.com and read up on her recs for almond flour. Order from one of her suppliers, as (speaking from experience) they have superior product. Almond flour waffles, pancakes, muffins, cookies, cakes etc are delicious and nutritious.

Coconut flour is another more economical option. I don't love it for some applications (pancakes, cookies) but love it for muffins and cakes. It is a highly nourishing food!

Coconut milk is great for subing in your recipes where you would use dairy. You can even make coconut milk yogurt! Which then leads to coconut milk cream cheese, etc. It's awesome.

HTH a little

I am not crunchy enough for this forum. Everyday I get a little crunchier though! :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page