Baking without using sugar or artificial sweetners? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 01-29-2010, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I love baking, but I don't want to use refined sugar or products such as Splenda. I would love some recipes which are sweetened with honey or applesauce or any other natural products. Can anyone help me? I don't even know where to begin and feel a bit overwhelmed! This is so hard for me, I love cakes/biscuits/anything sweet and think I am passing this onto my children. The only positive thing is that at least all the cakes/biscuits I make are made from scratch and not just junk food but I still feel guilty. I would so much love some help with this from someone.

A UK Waldorf blogging mama!
#2 of 9 Old 01-29-2010, 11:58 AM

This is my moms old blueberry muffin recipe, using honey or brown sugar.

Blueberry Muffins

2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp. Baking soda
¼ cup brown sugar or honey
1 tsp. Cinnamon
½ tsp. Salt
1 egg, beaten
1 cup buttermilk, or sour milk
3 TBSP. Oil or melted butter
1 cup blueberries

Mix all dry ingredients thoroughly. Add beaten egg, milk, oil and blueberries. Mix only until dry ingredients are moist. Grease muffin pans and fill half full baking in 375 degree oven for about 15 minutes.

Check to see if done by inserting toothpick in middle, if dough sticks to toothpick it needs to cook more.

You can use ½ whole wheat flour and ½ white

To make sour milk:
To one cup of milk add 1 TBSP of lemon juice or vinegar. Mix well and let sit for 5 minutes.

To make buttermilk:
Leave ¼ - ½ cup commercial buttermilk in bottom of its container. Fill with milk, leaving ½ to 1” head space. Close container and shake well. Let sit in warm place all day or overnight. It will take about 10 hours in winter, 5-10 hours in summer. When slightly thickened, refrigerate. Save some for the next batch.

There's lots of others out there, and theres a general rule with using honey instead of sugar in most recipes. I forget it exactly, but I think its something like 1/2 as much honey as sugar and cut whatever liquid down by 1/2 as much honey (so if you use 1/2 cup honey, use 1/4-1/2 cup less liquid - water, milk, whatever).
#3 of 9 Old 01-29-2010, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamadelbosque View Post
This is my moms old blueberry muffin recipe, using honey or brown sugar.

Blueberry Muffins

2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp. Baking soda
¼ cup brown sugar or honey
1 tsp. Cinnamon
½ tsp. Salt
1 egg, beaten
1 cup buttermilk, or sour milk
3 TBSP. Oil or melted butter
1 cup blueberries

Mix all dry ingredients thoroughly. Add beaten egg, milk, oil and blueberries. Mix only until dry ingredients are moist. Grease muffin pans and fill half full baking in 375 degree oven for about 15 minutes.

Check to see if done by inserting toothpick in middle, if dough sticks to toothpick it needs to cook more.

You can use ½ whole wheat flour and ½ white

To make sour milk:
To one cup of milk add 1 TBSP of lemon juice or vinegar. Mix well and let sit for 5 minutes.

To make buttermilk:
Leave ¼ - ½ cup commercial buttermilk in bottom of its container. Fill with milk, leaving ½ to 1” head space. Close container and shake well. Let sit in warm place all day or overnight. It will take about 10 hours in winter, 5-10 hours in summer. When slightly thickened, refrigerate. Save some for the next batch.

There's lots of others out there, and theres a general rule with using honey instead of sugar in most recipes. I forget it exactly, but I think its something like 1/2 as much honey as sugar and cut whatever liquid down by 1/2 as much honey (so if you use 1/2 cup honey, use 1/4-1/2 cup less liquid - water, milk, whatever).
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to me, I really appreciate it! I think I will try this recipe this weekend. It sounds delicous! Also, thank you very much for telling me how to make the two types of milk, i just assumed I would have to buy sour milk and buttermilk from the shop in a carton LOL. Thank you!

A UK Waldorf blogging mama!
#4 of 9 Old 01-29-2010, 07:06 PM

I took a great recipe for challah (sweet jewish bread) and just substituted honey 1 for 1 with the sugar, and it's great!

if you want sweet biscuits, why not add a few drops of maple syrup or even use rapadura/sucanat or palm sugar instead of refined sugar? (though honestly for sweet biscuits, I often like making normal biscuits and putting the honey on after they're cooked, with lots of butter too.

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
#5 of 9 Old 01-29-2010, 10:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This blog has some good ones.

A post about desserts.

This blog has some good ones too.

You will probably have the best luck googling for recipes with search terms like "whole food brownies sweetened with honey" or something like that.

Elizabeth - Doing life with Scott partners.gif

SAHM to Evelyn - my crazy little Celiac (4) energy.gif Annabelle (2)  love.gif and Abraham (born 6/20) buddamomimg1.png
adoptionheart-1.gif  Follow our journey  mdcblog5.gif

#6 of 9 Old 01-29-2010, 11:35 PM

1/2 cup/125 mL oil

1/2 cup/125 mL honey

1 egg

1/4 cup/60 mL water

1 tsp/5 mL vanilla

1 cup/250 mL whole wheat flour

1/4 cup/60 mL dry milk powder

1/2 tsp/2 mL baking soda

1/4 tsp/1 mL salt

1 1/2 cups/375 mL rolled oats

1/2 cup/125 mL ingredient of your choice (chocolate chips, carob chips, nuts, raisins, seeds, or coconut)

Preheat the oven to 350F/180C.

Grease some cookie sheets.

In a large mixing bowl, put the oil, honey, egg, water and vanilla.
Beat until smooth.
Add the flour, milk powder, baking soda and salt.
Mix well.
Add the oats.
Mix well.
Add the extra ingredient of your choice.
Mix.

Drop the batter by spoonfuls onto the greased cookie sheets.
Bake until light brown (about 10 minutes).
#7 of 9 Old 01-29-2010, 11:37 PM

1 1/2 cups/375 mL whole wheat flour

1 cup/250 mL rolled oats

2 tsp/10 mL baking powder

1 tsp/5 mL baking soda

1/2 tsp/2 mL salt

2 eggs

1/4 cup/60 mL cooking oil

1/4 cup/60 mL honey

1/4 cup/60 mL milk

3 medium bananas, mashed

1/2 cup/125 mL chocolate chips (optional)

Preheat oven to 400F/200 C.
Get out your muffin pans. (I make 12 regular sized muffins and 12 mini-muffins with this recipe.) Grease the muffin pan(s), or get out the paper cupcake liners. This recipe makes enough for 12 regular sized muffins and 12 mini muffins.

In a large bowl, put the flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix. Make a well in the middle.
In a small bowl, beat the eggs until they are frothy. Add the oil, honey, milk and bananas. Mix thoroughly.
Pour the banana mixture into the well in the middle of the dry ingredients. Stir just enough to moisten it all. (Stop! Don't overmix! The secret of making perfect muffins lies in the stirring. It's okay if there are still some flecks of flour visible. The batter will be lumpy - that's fine! Resist the urge to keep stirring!)
Fill your muffin cups about 3/4 full.
Bake for about 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in a muffin comes out clean.
#8 of 9 Old 01-30-2010, 12:50 AM

Hey ladies thank you for the information too. Ill see if I can try baking with some natural sweeteners.

Worlds Best Mom
#9 of 9 Old 01-30-2010, 05:29 PM

I use The "I Can't Believe This Has No Sugar" Cookbook by Deborah Buhr. She uses frozen fruit juice concentrates, date sugar, rice syrup, etc. My husband is a big sweets eater and my 7 year old had to tell him off for eating more than his fair share of the spelt and carob chip cookies! I have to say some of the recipes I really can believe there's no sugar in it, but overall lots of good ideas in there. I also always use 100% whole wheat pastry flour in my baking which makes us all feel lots less guilty.

Good luck!

Jezza, wife to T, oldmommers to E (7), A (4mos.) and three kitties

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page