Microwave be Gone! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-03-2010, 12:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yeah...I sold my microwave. I love it....I have more room on my counter and we're not getting zapped any longer! I found out recently the Soviet Union banned microwaves in the 70s. Whoa. I think it would be economical to get a toaster oven though. I feel like I'm wasting so much energy by heating up the whole oven. I find steaming is wonderful though to heat things up (and it stays moist!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2010, 02:31 AM

Ohh no you are very brave I must add. A lot of us depend on it so much despite what Scientist say about it.

Worlds Best Mom
Old 02-03-2010, 03:16 AM

We gave ours to DH's work a few years ago and hardly miss it. I heat things up on the stove or use our oven (we only have a countertop oven and we keep it in the closet most of the time--for space). Then only time I've ever missed the microwave is around Thanksgiving when we have tons of leftovers--and are too lazy to wait for the oven

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:21 AM

I've got one sitting on my dining room floor, unplugged of course. Seriously. When I moved in my parents wanted to give me their old one. I told them I didn't want it, but they didn't believe me. I need to get rid of it, it's just taking up space. I am trying to donate it. On the toaster oven, I agree. But I so don't want any thing more on the precious little counter space I do have. hmmm..... it's a quandary for sure.
Old 02-03-2010, 03:38 AM

We have a fancy built-in now, but a few years ago we went w/o for awhile (6 mos or so?) and it honestly was not that big of a deal. I got really good at reheating things in the oven or on the stove. Other people thought we were nuts, and my mom eventually gave us a tiny one (must have felt bad for us ) Anyway, just wanted to say good for you.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
Old 02-03-2010, 04:16 AM

lol, isn't it funny how our families thing we "need" one. The one we gave away was a gift from MIL because we didn't have one

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:36 AM

We have a built-in one that is our bread box. We never use it. I do use my toaster oven several times a day.
Old 02-03-2010, 04:47 PM

Does anyone have any links to actual science asserting that microwaves are detrimental to food/nutrition?

cruelty-free, beastie-full!
Old 02-03-2010, 04:50 PM

Yay for you! We haven't had one in 2 years now and some days are better than others in terms of "wow I wish I had one to quick heat up these leftovers" or "damn how will i heat up this rice sock".

DH grumbles sometimes about missing it, but then never acts on it, so I think he's ok with our set up of an stove/oven only.

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

Old 02-03-2010, 04:55 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Our microwave failed about 10 years ago. We used it a fair amount during the infant/toddler stage for warming up food quickly (yes we were careful and stirred thoroughly) but when it broke, I saw no point in buying another.

I rarely missed it - only when my tea or coffee grew cold and I would have liked to re-warm it. DD likes microwave popcorn, but I know it's not healthy, so I don't mind being able to limit that snack.

When we moved into this house last summer, there was a microwave already here. It is handy for quickly heating up milk for lattes, but other than that it just takes up a lot of valuable real estate on my counter.

Whether it's unhealthy or not, I just don't seem to need one often. If I want to re-warm most things, I can do it easily on or in the stove/oven. I don't like ready-made microwave meals, I prefer to cook from scratch. I just can't think of anything important I would do with a microwave.
Old 02-03-2010, 05:29 PM

Mine lives in the basement and the only thing I use it for is heating up herb-scented wheat/rice heating pads!! And yes, people seem to think I'm mad for not having one in the kitchen

Widowed mummy to T 6/08 and a crazy blue dog

Old 02-03-2010, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayward View Post
Does anyone have any links to actual science asserting that microwaves are detrimental to food/nutrition?
http://www.choosecra.com/hl-reports-microwave.html

after a quick search this had all kinds of info...
Old 02-03-2010, 06:24 PM

Mine died last year and we haven't replaced it. My food tastes better after coming out of the oven or being warmed on the stove. I will occasionally use the one at work to heat up lunch, but that's it. I don't miss it at all.

S~ Peace loving, natural living, FuNkY vegan mama to Keiran bouncy.gif 23/Dec/06:
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter" ~~ MLK
Old 02-03-2010, 06:32 PM

How do you heat up a wheat bag without a microwave? We don't use ours much for food, but we do love our wheat bags around here.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:34 PM

My brother-in-law lives in Moscow, he has a microwave.

Katherine, SAHM to 2 little princes
Old 02-03-2010, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aylaelise View Post
http://www.choosecra.com/hl-reports-microwave.html

after a quick search this had all kinds of info...
With all respect, I'm looking for *actual science* - ie published literature. That site does not provide any sort of evidence to back up its claims.

Old 02-03-2010, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
With all respect, I'm looking for *actual science* - ie published literature. That site does not provide any sort of evidence to back up its claims.
I don't know I'm sorry I would have to do more time researching and I don't feel like it....you are welcome to search! All I'm saying is I'm glad mine is gone. Good luck
Old 02-04-2010, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aylaelise View Post
I don't know I'm sorry I would have to do more time researching and I don't feel like it....you are welcome to search! All I'm saying is I'm glad mine is gone. Good luck
Yeah no worries! I was just wondering if anyone had any leads.

Old 02-04-2010, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Yeah no worries! I was just wondering if anyone had any leads.
Take a look at this one The Hidden Hazards Of Microwave Cooking.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trac View Post
How do you heat up a wheat bag without a microwave? We don't use ours much for food, but we do love our wheat bags around here.
LOL! Okay, good point, I guess there is one important thing you can do with a microwave. We use old fashioned hot water bottles!
Old 02-04-2010, 04:06 PM

We have gone a whole year without one and have not missed it at all. Our food taste so much better.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:20 PM

I got rid of the microwave after 2 miscarriages. Anything that may have had a negative effect got tossed. We use frying pans and water to reheat food. Steam veggies. Yep. Mostly stovetop. Don't regret it and my food taste way, way better.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentle~Mommy :) View Post
My brother-in-law lives in Moscow, he has a microwave.
I think she meant that the were banned *for a time* during the 70's in the Soviet Union. Not permanently. I lived in Moscow during the first part of the 90's and although I didn't have one, I do remember friends having them.

User Tag List