Why do I feel sick after drinking milk? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-04-2010, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've always been a big milk drinker (not raw milk - the grocery store-pasteurized type). I've also been a carb and sugar addict, I now realize. So, I've been fighting yeast and decided to go gluten free since this past Sunday and do a low-carb higher protein type diet, along with taking candidase (an enzyme to fight the yeast). I've been feeling great -- the yeast is definately going away because I've had oral thrush that is finally healing. Anyway, a few weeks ago I cut out all sugars and refined flour, I cut back on milk. I just realized that I haven't had a glass of milk in at least a week -- maybe a little longer, but I've had butter, cheese and yogurt in small quantities. Yesterday I drank a small glass of milk and noticed a little bit of stomach cramps. Last night had a bowl of puffed millet with some milk (I was really hungry and couldn't make a full meal) and felt terribly ill afterwards. I had cramping, nausea, I felt like I could be sick for about 30 minutes afterwards and then the worst was over but I still felt icky afterwards. Has anyone ever experienced this? I've never felt sick like before after drinking milk (I'm not one to get stomach cramps for any reason other than sickness).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2010, 08:50 PM

Any chance it was the millet? One of my kids and I felt that way after we ate it the first time. I've never tried it since, just used the millet up in blender batter pancakes.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter

I've had millet before in this same form and in the grain-like dishes and never had an issue. Of course, I've had milk a lot, as well and never had an issue. I don't know ... I just figured it was the milk because I've been on a strict diet and I've heard milk can be harsh on the digestive tract (although, I've never had a problem before).
Old 02-05-2010, 10:02 PM

I loved dairy and did fine with it until last year. Then I developed intestinal yeast overgrowth and suddenly became dairy intolerant. Dairy is one of the first things you stop tolerating if you have yeast overgrowth. After your gut heals from that then you can probably tolerate it again. I'm hopeful that I'll be able to tolerate it again one day as I miss it so much.

Happily married to DH for 6 years, in process to foster-adopt 3 children DD4, DS3 and DS2. We may be bringing half brother age 9 one day as well! We are not infertile, we just have decided that since there are precious children who need homes there is no need for us to have biological children.

User Tag List