Which milk is most nutritious out of soy milk, rice milk, oat milk? - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: soy milk, rice milk or oat milk, which is most nutritious?
soya milk 7 43.75%
rice milk 0 0%
oat milk 9 56.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 02-09-2010, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Which milk is most nutritious out of soy milk, rice milk, oat milk?

Mom    wash.gif  bikenew.gifgeek.gifdishes.gif

#2 of 29 Old 02-09-2010, 11:22 AM

What about hemp milk and coconut milk?

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#3 of 29 Old 02-09-2010, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
What about hemp milk and coconut milk?

I wouldn't use any of those except as a limited basis. And I treat them like juice.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#4 of 29 Old 02-09-2010, 02:24 PM

coconut milk is the best! REmember "milks" from anything other than a cow or goat is just the juice extracted from whatever it is, or in the case of grains, it's just a blend of water.

I think it's really a waste of money to actually buy oat milk. Don't you just cook oats in water and blend it? To think of all the packaging and what really is behind it it's one of the things that drives me NUTS about packaged foods! You're basically paying for a tiny amount of something you can buy cheap, and water.
#5 of 29 Old 02-09-2010, 04:57 PM

We like almond milk and hemp milk for our no-dairy child. Soy is bad, never use. With the rice and oat milks, i find they often have bad added oils in them like canola.
Almond milk is just blended almonds, water, salt, vanilla. At least almonds are nutritious, you know?

CPST
#6 of 29 Old 02-09-2010, 10:40 PM

First off, what are you looking for? Vitamins/minerals (synthetically added) calcium (added, too)? Is it important to be "like" milk, i.e. for cereal or drinking?

We are big raw goat dairy people in the summer and early fall, but when cold season comes on, we go dairy free. To make up for the nutrients lost, I make loads of bone broth (only chicken so far) and DS (and we) get at least a cup a day, sometimes more, in homemade soup. I think that's the best nutritional replacement for mammal milk (most notably calcium).

If you're veg or need the "milk-like" taste/look, I vote homemade coconut.

Not what you asked, I know, but I personally wouldn't drink/eat or give DS any of those options, esp. store bought with sweeteners, synthetic vitamins, and canola oil.
#7 of 29 Old 02-10-2010, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Oh.

We use soya milk mostly, and occasionally rice milk.

I haven't seen any coconut milk in the stores, where do you get it? Why is that better than soy, rice, oat milks?

I'm meaning a milk to use for like a substitute for cows milk, for things like a glass of milk to drink, to use for making a milk-shake drink, to make custard and to go on cereal...those types of things.

#8 of 29 Old 02-10-2010, 03:07 PM

If your kids really like something by the glass, that's really the only time I would use rice/oat milk or something if they like it. For baking, smoothies it just seems like a waste. If you think about it, rice milk/oat milk is just the nut, with some water, vanilla maybe, and sweetner. So if you are baking, just use water, with a little extra vanilla or something. For a smoothie, just add water, and extra fruit. If you likle the idea of oat milk, just put a spoon of oats/hot water in blender with a little sweetner and vanilla and blend a minute, and you could use that for the "milk" in baking. It seems expensive to me to spend a couple bucks on something that is pureed rice/oats.

I think almond and coconut milk is the healthiest. I don't always use a ton of canned coconut milk, so when i open the can, I pour it in to ice cube trays and use that as my ice when blending smoothies/shakes. It also makes THE best pudding/ice cream/custards!

The simplest ice cream is a can of coconut milk, a banana, 1/4 good cocoa powder, 1/2 sweetner, 2 tsp vanilla blend in blender until very smooth and freeze. DD actually likes this cold like cold pudding.
#9 of 29 Old 02-11-2010, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 425lisamarie View Post
If your kids really like something by the glass, that's really the only time I would use rice/oat milk or something if they like it. For baking, smoothies it just seems like a waste. If you think about it, rice milk/oat milk is just the nut, with some water, vanilla maybe, and sweetner. So if you are baking, just use water, with a little extra vanilla or something. For a smoothie, just add water, and extra fruit. If you likle the idea of oat milk, just put a spoon of oats/hot water in blender with a little sweetner and vanilla and blend a minute, and you could use that for the "milk" in baking. It seems expensive to me to spend a couple bucks on something that is pureed rice/oats.

I think almond and coconut milk is the healthiest. I don't always use a ton of canned coconut milk, so when i open the can, I pour it in to ice cube trays and use that as my ice when blending smoothies/shakes. It also makes THE best pudding/ice cream/custards!

The simplest ice cream is a can of coconut milk, a banana, 1/4 good cocoa powder, 1/2 sweetner, 2 tsp vanilla blend in blender until very smooth and freeze. DD actually likes this cold like cold pudding.
Sounds good. How about for oatmeal, since I usually use soy or rice milk for that, would coconut milk work? Im guessing it would dramatically change the taste, maybe I should switch it to water for that?

#10 of 29 Old 02-11-2010, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samy23 View Post
Sounds good. How about for oatmeal, since I usually use soy or rice milk for that, would coconut milk work? Im guessing it would dramatically change the taste, maybe I should switch it to water for that?
We always use water for oatmeal (I've actually never had it with milk). Cook in water and then add some nuts, dried fruit or something else sweet like maple syrup or fruit preserves. That's my favourite way to eat oatmeal.

dog2.gifcrochetsmilie.gif Lovin' my sweetheart, pregnant with #1 (EDD Feb.2013) stork-suprise.gif

#11 of 29 Old 02-11-2010, 12:58 PM

coconut milk makes everyhting yummy! Like I said I freeze them in ice cube amounts so a couple cubes would be plenty for a bowl of oatmeal mixed with water. Cinnamon and crispy nuts go well
#12 of 29 Old 02-11-2010, 02:50 PM

I vote for coconut milk. In my grocery store, it's in the International Foods area in metal cans. I get the Thai Kitchen brand.

Coconut milk is great in coffee, for making hot cocoa (I mix it with some water), for custards, for baking. It's very creamy and has tons of nutrition.

Neither soy, nor rice, nor oat milk has much nutrition, and they contain unhealthy components.
#13 of 29 Old 02-12-2010, 01:05 AM

How much protein is in coconut milk? I know that soy milk is frowned upon, but I dont know how to get my son protein. He has a bad allergy to eggs, we dont really eat meat, we are dairy free. We've tried quinoa, he wont touch it. So, I at least know protein is in the soy milk. I know he doesnt need loads of protein, but his diet is egg, dairy, peanut, tree nut, fish, and shellfish free. He is small, so I get very paranoid about stuff like protein. I do use sunflower butter, but he only eats it on occasion. Should I just start looking more to coconut milk for his daiy needs? We do it for some baking and ice cream. I like the idea of freezing it for smoothies and stuff. Tomorrow we are icing cookies with it.

I want to add that my son doesnt drink soy milk, like by the cup or anything. He has cereal in it 2-3 days a week. I also will bake with it, like muffins.
#14 of 29 Old 02-12-2010, 01:13 AM

I use coconut milk and I like almond milk on cereal

I think soy is ok now and then but I wouldn't make it a regular part of a diet unless it was necessary. If other choices were available I would probably use those first.

Not all those who wander are lost 
#15 of 29 Old 02-12-2010, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matey View Post
How much protein is in coconut milk? I know that soy milk is frowned upon, but I dont know how to get my son protein. He has a bad allergy to eggs, we dont really eat meat, we are dairy free. We've tried quinoa, he wont touch it. So, I at least know protein is in the soy milk. I know he doesnt need loads of protein, but his diet is egg, dairy, peanut, tree nut, fish, and shellfish free. He is small, so I get very paranoid about stuff like protein. I do use sunflower butter, but he only eats it on occasion. Should I just start looking more to coconut milk for his daiy needs? We do it for some baking and ice cream. I like the idea of freezing it for smoothies and stuff. Tomorrow we are icing cookies with it.
Does your ds eat beans? Mine LOVES beans and hummus. there are a lot of other sources like whole grains and veggie proteins.

#16 of 29 Old 02-12-2010, 01:18 AM

Haven't read PP, sorry, just wanted to post quickly. We use almond milk - soya milk really is a "treat" food, and unfermented soy products should be used minimally, just once or so a week!

Hemp milk is wonderful, as well as rice. I believe out of the poll options that oat milk would be the most nutritious - but not if it was home-made. Store-bought non-dairy milks are usually fortified with lots of nutrients that are easily absorbed.
#17 of 29 Old 02-12-2010, 01:18 AM

I wanted to add from my previous post that my son doesnt drink soy milk. He has cereal in it 2-3 days a week. I also will bake with it, like muffins.
#18 of 29 Old 02-12-2010, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abimommy View Post
Does your ds eat beans? Mine LOVES beans and hummus.
Sorry we cross posted. Yes, he does it beans. He actually loves beans. So, I know that is something.
#19 of 29 Old 02-12-2010, 01:21 AM

I second the beans and hummus! Delicious. Whole grains should also be a part of the diet, too!
#20 of 29 Old 02-12-2010, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Sorry we cross posted. Yes, he does it beans. He actually loves beans. So, I know that is something.

Coconut milk doesn't have a lot of protein. Soy milk has more so if you struggle to find protein then you should probably stick to it. There are other whole grains with it like brown rice and such and then veggies and fruit have those types of protein.

I don't eat dairy because I am allergic to it but I do give cheese and yogurt to my ds.

I have seen some studies about soy affecting hormones in boys, but I think that is one of those things that is really a personal decision.

You need to make the choice that is right for your family and your needs.

#21 of 29 Old 02-12-2010, 01:43 AM

That is why I end up sticking with soy milk. i get tofu through wic, but we only eat it once every 2-3 weeks, if that. We do whole grains, and beans. My ds used to be a lot better about fruits and veggies, but we are going through a rough patch with that. I push smoothies on him, but he barely takes a few sips.

We dont do dairy because each of us experiences problems with it, both internal and external. i do love the dairy free life. I just wish he could eat an egg or something! Thanks for the replies! Sorry for hijacking!
#22 of 29 Old 02-12-2010, 01:51 AM

Quote:
That is why I end up sticking with soy milk. i get tofu through wic, but we only eat it once every 2-3 weeks, if that. We do whole grains, and beans. My ds used to be a lot better about fruits and veggies, but we are going through a rough patch with that. I push smoothies on him, but he barely takes a few sips.

We dont do dairy because each of us experiences problems with it, both internal and external. i do love the dairy free life. I just wish he could eat an egg or something! Thanks for the replies! Sorry for hijacking!
Well studies have shown that allergies are not genetic, only susceptibility to allergies so often people have different allergies than their parents.

The one exception to that is dairy. Dairy allergies can be genetic so am I careful with that. I am pretty cautious with the dairy even though ds hasn't shown any issues. I do have less issues with goat milk so I tried that with ds first.

#23 of 29 Old 02-12-2010, 01:53 AM

I think coconut or hemp milk are the best. Dd will only drink rice milk or almond milk so thats what I buy.
#24 of 29 Old 02-12-2010, 03:09 AM

i used to buy almond, but now we are trying raw cows milk and loving it. this would be a tough issue for me if we couldn't do dairy.

Emilytreehugger.gif-Wife to Adam drum.gif and Mama to Steven jammin.gif7/08 and Theo vbac.gif3/11 

#25 of 29 Old 02-12-2010, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

I want to make oatmeal at the weekend, but we can't have cow's milk and I don't like it made just with water. Think I'll get rice milk since the oats are already in oatmeal, may aswell get the rice nutrition too.

Maybe It would be worth trying it with coconut milk since so many people have explained its very nutritious. Wonder how it will taste though...coconutty-oatmeal? lol

#26 of 29 Old 02-12-2010, 11:17 AM

I dont "like" coconut, I dont like the flavor or texture. I dont have the same adversion to coconut milk. There is a slight taste of coconut milk, but it isnt strong. I think coconut milk in oatmeal sounds delicious and am lookijng forward to trying it. I am making icing for cookies with coconut milk today and you cant even tell that I used it.
#27 of 29 Old 02-12-2010, 08:32 PM

We use soymilk, hemp milk, and almond milk the most.

S~ Peace loving, natural living, FuNkY vegan mama to Keiran bouncy.gif 23/Dec/06:
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter" ~~ MLK
#28 of 29 Old 02-12-2010, 09:48 PM

Video showing homemade coconut milk from shredded coconut--and some thoughts on store bought coconut milk.

http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/fa...coconut%20milk
#29 of 29 Old 02-12-2010, 10:06 PM

I use to here soy milk was more nutritious. Really though I think cows milk is more nutritious. Its just that some individuals are lactose intolerant, while others can't have too much of the cows milk because they are watching their cholesterol, calorie and fat intake.

Worlds Best Mom

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page