chewy food suggestions please - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-11-2010, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My two year old needs to eat some really chewy foods as part of her speech therapy. The speech therapist suggested granola bars, which do indeed require a lot of muscle power to chew. I would rather not feed her granola bars because they have quite a bit of sugar in them and we try to eat no refined grains and no sweeteners (sugar, high fructose corn syrup, honey etc). Can anyone think of some foods that are as chewy as granola bars but lower in sugar? Thanks!
#2 of 5 Old 02-11-2010, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tree-hugger View Post
My two year old needs to eat some really chewy foods as part of her speech therapy. The speech therapist suggested granola bars, which do indeed require a lot of muscle power to chew. I would rather not feed her granola bars because they have quite a bit of sugar in them and we try to eat no refined grains and no sweeteners (sugar, high fructose corn syrup, honey etc). Can anyone think of some foods that are as chewy as granola bars but lower in sugar? Thanks!
Dried fruit with no added sugar? Dried mango is a good one. Figs are chewy (also very sweet, but at least not refined). Hmmm...
#3 of 5 Old 02-11-2010, 09:43 PM

Jerkey?
What about chewing gum? Would that do it. My son is almost 3 and has been chewing xylitol gum for dental issues for almost a year. It took some practice, but he's pretty darned good about chewing it and spitting it out in an appropriate place now.
Melinda
#4 of 5 Old 02-11-2010, 10:21 PM

dates & prunes

Giving Love serves as a wonderful reminder that we already have an abundance of Love within, "it is in giving that we receive."
#5 of 5 Old 02-12-2010, 03:31 AM

you could try making your own granola with honey or molassas. this might not appeal to your dd, but i like my oatmeal kinda chewy

Emilytreehugger.gif-Wife to Adam drum.gif and Mama to Steven jammin.gif7/08 and Theo vbac.gif3/11 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page