Pork is not my friend :( - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 02-17-2010, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I cannot cook pork.... and it's one of my DH's favourite meats. I dry it out every time! In the oven, pan fried then simmered....it always ends up tough.

We all prefer pork chops and ribs. We are gluten, dairy, soy & corn free which means I can't just whip out a bottle of sauce to throw on it.

I know cooking it too long is part of my problem - but with a very active toddler running around sometimes I can't get to it!

Help! What are your best pork recipes and tips! My DH will thank you!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 02-17-2010, 08:31 PM

Buy larger cuts, cook them low and slow and wet, and don't worry about cooking them to well-done. Buy on the bone whenever possible, avoid thin cuts and tenderloins (the lack of fat leads to the dryness).

A whole pork roast or a whole rack of ribs can easily go into the oven at 250 for 4 or 6 hours, and it will be falling off the bone tender when it's done. Season it with a generous hand, add a little bit of liquid to the pan (I've used ginger ale, apple juice, beer, stock or water), cover it and walk away.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#3 of 13 Old 02-17-2010, 09:28 PM

Well during the Yuletide season. I really like roasting ham in my oven. Its quite easy.

Worlds Best Mom
#4 of 13 Old 02-17-2010, 11:08 PM

Modern pork breeds that are commerically raised are quite lean and as a result tend to be dry. I don't have any problems with pork shoulder, ribs or tenderloin ( which is one of our favorites) but I have huge problems with loin chops and rib chops. I've completely given up on loin chops and after trying the rib chops at Whole Foods they are the only ones I cook now. They never come out dry. But rib chops are the only cut I cook inside. Everything else we cook on the grill year round.
#5 of 13 Old 02-17-2010, 11:59 PM

Ham baked in the oven is easy. I usually either pan fry or coat and bake pork chops. Pork roasts I roast with a little water, low and slow.

I'm not a fan of ribs and have never cooked them but I know when dh does it, it takes forever.

But we raised our own pigs and they have lots of fat which probably helps.
#6 of 13 Old 02-18-2010, 02:00 AM

Three words: 48 hour brine.

It will forever change your results with pork! A friend of mine is a chef and taught me this trick, and it is super easy. The first time I made brined pork chops we all thought we'd gone to heaven. Well cooked but none the less moist and juicy with AMAZING flavor.

Recipe for four 10 oz chops or two 1 lb trimmed pork tenderloins:

5 cups water
6 Tbsp sugar
3 Tbsp salt

Mix all ingredients into cool water and stir until dissolved. Place the brine and meat in a container deep enough to hold both, weight the meat with a small plate, cover, and refrigerate for two or three days.

Remove the chops from the brine and run under cool water for a minute, kneading the meat. Dry with paper towels and set in the refrigerator for half an hour before cooking.
#7 of 13 Old 02-18-2010, 09:33 AM

Our major cut of pork is a pork butt. I slow cook it in the oven (takes like 4 hours), or I'll get dh to smoke it on the grill (also like a 4 hour process). But, butts are usually 8-10 pounds, so it makes many, many meals for us. I freeze the leftovers.

I also grind pork butts (I have a meat grinder attachment for my KitchenAid). The ground pork is good as sausage or mixed into ground beef 50/50 to make meatballs or meatloaf.
#8 of 13 Old 02-18-2010, 11:34 AM

The only thing that save my pork cooking skills is buying a digital meat thermometer. I put it into the meat, stick it in the oven and remove it when it beeps...tender juicy pork all week long!
#9 of 13 Old 02-18-2010, 11:45 AM

The crock pot and pressure cooker are my friends! I also will splurge on the tenderloin if I'm using another cooking method, which is just a much moister cut in the first place. I *heart* this Mustard Maple Pork recipe!

I can't find the recipe online, but another favorite is crock-pot carnitas: pork cut into 1in cubes and 1 tsp each of salt, pepper, and oregano plus a quartered onion on top. These make tasty tacos, and you can use leftover pork to make cuban sandwiches, yum.

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

#10 of 13 Old 02-18-2010, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies - great tips!
#11 of 13 Old 02-18-2010, 06:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
come on over to my blog. we can't do corn, soy, dairy, gluten either. I've been making barbecue sauce for ribs. I also do a couple different kinds of pork roasts (with sauerkraut, and another one I can't remember right now). We also do pulled pork (YUM! My DD1 and DH's favorite). We also do pork carnita (can be used for tacos). www.kathysrecipebox.com. I love pork day on our rotation!! We don't do pork chops very often, but when we do, I pan fry them and cover them part way through so that they don't dry out. And pork tenderloins are good marinated in home-made Italian dressing then grilled.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#12 of 13 Old 02-19-2010, 12:32 PM

Pork, potatoes (chunked) & sauerkraut in a large pot with some paprika & water.

I usually add thinly sliced onions & garlic too. Country style ribs lend the most flavor, but you could use leaner chops as well. Cook for a while you may have to add more water as you go.

I used to have the same prob with pork as well. Chops cook quickly. Need only 3min or so under the broiler on each side depending on how thick. I used to set a timer for 2 or 3 min to keep myself on track. Now I have it down pat.

Wife of 10 yrs to Oaties, Mama to Bubs 08/06/08, Rizie 04/19/10 & MRae 02/02/13 & to dog2.gif

#13 of 13 Old 02-19-2010, 02:35 PM

These are so good!!! Just leave out the Worchestershire sauce if it contains ingredients you can't eat.

Preheat oven to 350F/175C.

6 thick pork chops

1/2 cup/125 mL chopped onion

1/2 cup/125 mL maple syrup

2 Tbsp/30 mL cider vinegar

2 Tbsp/30 mL Worchestershire sauce

1 tsp/5 mL chili powder

1/2 tsp/2 mL salt

1/4 tsp/1 mL pepper

Place the pork chops in a baking pan or baking dish.
Combine the remaining ingredients. Pour over pork chops.
Bake for about an hour, until no longer pink inside.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page