Mothering Forum banner

Do you throw away gifts of sweets?

1K views 16 replies 16 participants last post by  Gingercat 
#1 ·
Valentines Day we got 2 plates full if cookies from well intentioned friends. Ds had some on the first day and then didn't ask again. I kept eating them do k finally threw them away.

Today our neighbor baked cupcakes with DS and then sent most of them home to us. I have not eaten any and am tempted to also throw these away.

I am finally getting control over my sugar cravings and I don't want the trmtation here. I can resist when I am out of the house.

I think I will toss them in the morning

anyone else throw away these 'gifts' bestowed onto us?

See less See more
#2 ·
Sometimes. If they're reallllly good I'll keep them and ration them, but most of the time I can whip up something better, so I know it's not worth it. I'm not bad about sugar, as I have sensitive teeth and most sugary things are painful for me to eat, but dh is bad about it
. So I just ration things or toss them.

#6 ·
We don't get much 'cause most people know we're vegan & east super healthy... but when we do, usually DH brings them to work. Makes his co-workers very happy & is less wasteful (though I'm not sure tossing junk food is truly "wasteful" lol)

#7 ·
We don't get much b/c we're mostly vegan and people no we don't eat white sugar very much.
We did just geta HUGE batch of brownies frm a friend of dh's I took a bite of one to be polite then we gave them to dh's parents who we're having a party

Xmas the kids got gigantic lolli-pops and well they are hiding up in the cupboard. I feel bad cause I dont want to throw them away but my kids aren't going to eat them and I dontwant to torment another parent by feeding their kids that much sugar

#11 ·
Unfortunately we do throw them away a lot. My kids had a playdate and as a craft they decorated an 8x8 cake and brought it home. It was a box mix confetti cake thick with canned frosting and sprinkled with a ton of jimmies. I let the kids each have a piece after dinner and then it was trashed. So horrible but I barely like cake as it let alone super sweet boxed sprinkle cake ugh!!

On the other end of the spectrum my neighbors brought over an amazing, made from scratch cake with fresh whipped cream and fresh strawberries and I could have eaten the whole thing. But it was a 9" layer cake and after several days of eating it around the clock we had to toss the rest. Just not enough of us to finish a whole cake like that! And every year we toss about a half platter of stale picked over Christmas cookies.

If it is something I can freeze I might freeze individual servings.

This is exactly why I don't usually gift sweets and baked goods--so much potential for waste. I appreciate the thought and effort but I just don't need so much junk food and it won't get eaten.

#15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by crunchy_mommy View Post
usually DH brings them to work. Makes his co-workers very happy & is less wasteful (though I'm not sure tossing junk food is truly "wasteful" lol)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.