Anyone else resent "kids menus"?? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

#31 of 42 Old 02-24-2010, 10:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnMomma View Post
DS(2.5) is a great eater. I think the reaosn he's such a great eater is becasue he's never eaten junk. I buy organic whole foods and cook from scratch. Heck, some foods he doesn't even know exist. And I'm quite happy about this.
That's part of it. Part of it is luck. I've fed all my kids more or less the same way, except that dd1 probably had the most variety available to her (due to our living situation when she was a baby/toddler). DD1 is picky in a way that neither of my boys ever were. The jury is still out on dd2, of course. She mostly eats breastmilk right now.

Quote:
I get really annoyed. Firstly, DS's curiosity is piqued by the mention of a kids menu and second, maybe, just maybe this is one of the reason we have disease and obesity running rampant in the youth of this country...we expect kids to eat bugers and hot dogs and mac and cheese and chicken fingers but leave the good stuff...the veggies and lean proteins to the adults? What the heck?

I really wish kids menus would not exist. It promotes unhealthy eating.
I suspect that people eating in restaurants often enough for the menu offerings to have a strong impact on their children's eating habits has a bigger impact on obesity and disease than the actual menu options do. My kids usually want something off the kids menu. I don't care, as we eat out so rarely that it really doesn't matter much.

And, those menus exist in response to demand. I've heard people say they won't eat at such-and-such, because it has not kids menu.

I mostly like kids menus, because so many of them double as colouring pages.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 42 Old 02-25-2010, 03:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I wouldn't mind them so much if they had more healthy options. It seems like around here all the kid menus have fried this and fried that. Why can't you offer grilled chicken or fish alongside the fried?

obstruct livery vehicles

#33 of 42 Old 02-25-2010, 03:33 PM

I understand how you feel! I always expect the kids' menu to have smaller portions of the adult entrees, but it's always mac and cheese and hot dogs. Really? My kid won't even touch hot dogs (I've offered uncured beef dogs ) but somehow at every restaurant and backyard barbecue, that is what he's SUPPOSED to eat. Whatever.

Since '05 just me and B, but in 2/08 E made three!
#34 of 42 Old 02-25-2010, 03:51 PM

We ate at Chili's a few months back and they gave my son a kid's menu (uhm, he was 8 months or so at the time...) so I ended up playing with it instead Anyway, I noticed that it was set up in a "circle what you want" kind of way and the only beverages on there were soda and milk (maybe OJ...I don't remember) I commented to DH "Where's the water? Are kids not allowed to have water here?" and he laughed. He'd never thought about it.

It REALLY annoyed me. I mean, some kids may know to ask for water. But a friend of mine has a DD that's VERY literal and she would take it as "these are your only options"

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#35 of 42 Old 02-25-2010, 04:09 PM

I resent places that won't let *me* order off of the kids menu

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
#36 of 42 Old 02-25-2010, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiOrion View Post
I resent places that won't let *me* order off of the kids menu
which is why it should just be 1/4 portions or something

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#37 of 42 Old 02-25-2010, 04:55 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
When my dd was that age I didn't order her a meal of her own, she just ate what we ate. Now that she is older I let her order whatever she wants to order. We rarely go out to eat, and when we do I view it as a treat for both of us so I don't care if she eats only dessert, has a junk food meal, or eats some healthy food and some unhealthy food. When I was a child going out to eat at a restraunt was a special treat because we got to order off of the kids menu and we didn't have to eat healthy/tasteless things like salmon and rice pilaf.

I think that obesity has a variety is more likely related to portion sizes, the expectation to eat everything set in front of you, and the daily influences rather than the occassional treats.
#38 of 42 Old 02-25-2010, 05:29 PM

One thing I completely LOVE is that we have a couple of delicious Indian restaurants near us and they have been so gracious about DD. We go for the buffet on a Sunday once or twice a month and they never charge us for her, allowing us to give her a chance to try whatever she would like (sometimes she'll try a bunch of different stuff, other times it's an entire plate of pappadum for her!). They'll even sometimes bring her a mini mango lassi, on the house. Just had to put some love out there for some places that are doing great things for dining with young ones.

Mama to DD (06/30/07).
#39 of 42 Old 02-25-2010, 06:34 PM

Maybe it's a regional thing. The restaurants in this area seem to have lots of healthy options for kids. When we go out to eat, my kids usually share 2 kids meals between 3 kids. They usually choose things like salmon and veggies, grilled chicken and rice or once in a while, pizza or mac n cheese. Even if it's not on the kid's menu, if you ask, they will usually give you what you want. For example, we went to Bonefish a while back for a special occasion and DD really wanted salmon, a salad and veggies. (She's 5). It was not on the menu, but the waitress talked to her manager and they gave DD a smaller piece of salmon, but basically the same meal as the regular menu.

Mexican restaurants have great kids menus, usually with bean burritos or chicken tacos. Even Chili's has grilled chicken with veggies on the kid's menu. The Outback has ribs or steak with their choice of side. I think most national chains have really listened to a lot of parents and are offering at least 1-2 better choices than in the past.

The only thing I've resented is when the kids tell the waitress that they want milk, and the response is "white or chocolate?" That makes me madder than anything. My kids just don't think of getting chocolate milk, on their own.

Like some PP's said, at least the kid's menus are coloring pages that keep the kids entertained. If we don't like the offering, they either share a meal or eat off of ours. If I'm really hungry, I order a cup of soup or an app to share. If you feed your kids well, and give them a healthy foundation, a piece of pizza or chicken nuggets is not going to hurt them...unless there are intolerances or allergies.

Wife to Bri, mom to G (8), R (6), I (5). Expecting #4 - 8.16.11
#40 of 42 Old 02-26-2010, 12:23 AM

Quote:
I think most national chains have really listened to a lot of parents and are offering at least 1-2 better choices than in the past.
Yep. Every chain I can think of now offers fresh fruits and veggies for a side, not just fries like it used to be. And I've also seen lots of grilled chicken instead of just deep fried nuggets and corn dogs.

Chain or not, if the kids' menu is all junk we will not order off of it.

We don't eat at a lot of chains either, but when we do I do like that the kids' menus give them something to color and draw on for a few minutes if nothing else.
#41 of 42 Old 02-26-2010, 08:30 AM

My son just eats off our plates, or I order him a side-order of steamed veggies. Sometimes the kids menu will have something decent, but it usually mac and cheese, grilled cheese and fries, etc. I don't want him eating most of that stuff, so I just create my own meal for him off the menu.
#42 of 42 Old 02-26-2010, 03:46 PM

I don't 'resent' them. I've always assumed that they are there because SOMEONE was asking for them. If adults always just ordered adult food for their kids, there would be no need for them.

Sometimes we order off of them, sometimes we don't. Sometimes they have healthy offerings, and sometimes they don't. No one is forcing me to use them, so I don't get the resentment.

thalia loves Jesus and DH wordyeight and DD#1 : 8/2007 and DD#2 9/2010
and remembering: little turtle 5/23/2006 and poppyseed 7/15/2009

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page