Bread recipes - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 02-25-2010, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Where do you find good bread homemade bread recipes? I am interested in making homemade bread, but I have run into some bad recipes on line.
#2 of 12 Old 02-25-2010, 05:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mix:
1/2 cup apple sauce (you can use homemade)
1 tbsp oil
2 tbsp honey
2 tbsp molasses
1 tsp salt
enough water to equal 1 7/8 cups so far
Pour into bread machine

Add:
3 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
4 tbsp gluten (we use bob's red mill, it's a big package, so it will last)
2 1/2 tsp yeast at room temperature

Set it on 2 pound loaf, whole wheat

This is for a bread machine, but I'm sure, if you wanted to, you can make it without.

I LOVE it, we usually always had a loaf made, but we cut back on carbs. It's all whole wheat, and no refined sugars, so that's good too. We used to sub out 1 cup of flour for 1 cup of a whole grain, like oats or quinoa. This bread is ALWAYS moist due to the apple sauce, honey and molasses.
#3 of 12 Old 02-25-2010, 05:12 PM

I've got 2 that I use regularly.

This first one is called Amish White bread. I use it for rolls especially and it makes easy, mouth watering rolls. The bread is good too, but it doesn't hold up as well as I'd like for slicing.

Amish White bread
2c warm water
1.5 T yeast
2/3c sugar
1/4 c oil
1.5tsp salt
6 C flour

Add the water, 3cups flour, sugar and yeast to the bowl and mix well, let rise 10 min
Add the rest of the ingredients (flour little by little, may not need all 6 cups)
Knead
Rise in greased bowl 1hr
punch down and separate into 2 loaves or into rolls. (can refrigerate 1/2 for rolls the next day or later in the week.) Put into greased loaf pans or muffin tins
rise for 45 min
bake at 350 for 30-35 min (less for rolls)
tip: use as little flour as you can get away with for super light rolls.

This 2nd one makes really nice, sliceable, not too sweet bread.
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Simple-...ad/Detail.aspx

I got this link from another thread here at MDC from others who loved it.

Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

#4 of 12 Old 02-25-2010, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Thank you! I am eager to try a recipe tomorrow.
#5 of 12 Old 02-26-2010, 09:36 AM

I'm trying this today! I'll report back. I've never made bread without my bread machine. I want to try to get into a routine with home made rolls instead of pillsbury...i know, i know.
#6 of 12 Old 02-26-2010, 10:36 AM

We use this weekly! Our family loves this bread fresh out of the oven!

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Real-...tes-A-Day.aspx

I get Mother Earth News and they seem to have wonderful bread recipes in there once in awhile.

treehugger.gif Birth and PP doula, Mama to DD (7/04) DS (3/08)    belly.gifwith #3 EDD 11/29/13, and 30+ chicken3.gif , 2 ducks

#7 of 12 Old 02-26-2010, 02:06 PM

I'm going to check out that link if my kids will cooperate.

I made the Amish white bread. It tastes great. I think next time I'll use bread flour and let it rise a little longer. They look more like biscuits than rolls, but still delicious. I'm so excited!

Does anyone know if they will turn out the same if I sub sea salt and olive oil? And can you bake with extra virgin olive oil? Or should I get the kind refined for baking and frying?
#8 of 12 Old 02-26-2010, 06:42 PM

Here is a new focaccia bread recipe I am in LOVE with...I've made it twice this week!

Ingredients

* 1/2 teaspoon honey (I use a bit over a teaspoon of sugar)
* 1 1/2 tablespoon of yeast
* 2/3 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
* 2 cups all-purpose flour (can use 3/4 cup of ww flour)
* teaspoon or so of salt
* 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided

1. In a large bowl, dissolve honey (or sugar) and yeast in warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
2. Add 1 cup flour, salt, and 3 tablespoons olive oil to the yeast mixture. Stir until combined and then work in the last cup of flour. Knead the dough until smooth, elastic, and soft, about 7 minutes. Add only enough flour to keep the dough from being sticky. Lightly oil a large bowl, place the dough in the bowl and turn to coat with oil. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
3. Deflate the dough and turn it out onto a lightly floured surface. Roll out the dough into a rectangle, about 1/2 inch thick. Place in greased 9x13 inch pan or baking sheet. Cover and let rise until doubled in volume, about 40 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
4. Poke dimples in the bread and drizzle 1 tablespoon of the olive oil on top. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes.

*Kneading for the full 7 minutes is crucial, as well as allowing enough time to rise. It seems like a lot of work, but once you get the hang of it is enjoyable. At least I think so...

*Also, for an alternative to the plain olive oil focaccia-Try this: mince garlic and add to olive oil. Use this oil to coat ball of dough for the first rising. Another really tasty addition is to caramelize a bunch of onions in olive oil and spread on top once focaccia is almost done, pop back in the oven for a few minutes. Sooo tasty!

Pizza dough:

2 1/2 tsp yeast
2 1/2 cup flour (can use up to 3/4 cup of ww)
cup warm water
tsp sugar
tsp or so of salt

Mix yeast, sugar and warm water, allow about 10 minutes to froth up. Mix in flour, and salt. Knead until smooth. Ball and coat with oil. Cover for atleast 20 minutes. Spread and add fav toppings. Bake at 400 for about 12 minutes.

I have actually used this pizza dough recipe for bread too.

Normally for bread we use the recipes from Mother Earth News...

chaoticzenmom-I am very excited to try your Amish White Bread recipe! Thanks for sharing!

caffix.gifChristine: Mama to bouncy.gif  DS 04/17/08  *Infant Stroke Survivor*  Always remembering:  brokenheart.gifbrokenheart.gifbrokenheart.gif

Took a 'break' from TTC and look what happened:  2ndtri.gif!!!!    praying.gif  for a healthy, full term baby to be born August 2012!!  Hoping for a vbac.gif!

#9 of 12 Old 02-26-2010, 07:19 PM

I highly recommend this site; www.ayearinbread.earthandhearth.com.
You will gain so much knowledge and the recipes are out of sight!

Wife to DH(15 years)and Mama to: Jacob(5/02)kid.gifribbonpurple.gif, and Alina(7/07)energy.gifI luxlove.gifbellyhair.gif
#10 of 12 Old 03-08-2010, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nichole View Post
Does anyone know if they will turn out the same if I sub sea salt and olive oil? And can you bake with extra virgin olive oil? Or should I get the kind refined for baking and frying?
I bake with sea salt and olive oil all the time and it works just fine. Just be sure when using sea salt to grind the flakes down using a spice/coffee grinder otherwise your measurements will be off and if you've ever tasted bread that's been under salted you'll never do it again.

Homebirthing, breastfeading, co-sleeping mamma to dd born 12/8/2009, married to the love of my life.
#11 of 12 Old 03-09-2010, 10:47 AM

I love this for 100% whole wheat bread. http://www.everydaydish.tv/index.php...ipe&recipe=122

I need to make it again and figure out how to substitute honey for the sugar, and I will use melted butter instead of the canola oil.

Emily--Married to the love of my life 2008--Joyful mommy to Rachel Elizabeth 12/10
PM me about low supply; insufficient glandular tissue; posterior tongue tie; lip tie bfinfant.gif
#12 of 12 Old 03-09-2010, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nichole View Post
I'm going to check out that link if my kids will cooperate.

I made the Amish white bread. It tastes great. I think next time I'll use bread flour and let it rise a little longer. They look more like biscuits than rolls, but still delicious. I'm so excited!

Put them into a muffin tin 3/4ths full and they'll be big rolls. Also, I've tried them with butter instead of oil, with kefir (or milk) and water instead of just all water, with 1/2 whole wheat flour, etc. Once you get good at the basic bread recipes, making alterations gets easy.

I made hamburger buns last night! The recipe was @5c flour, 2TBS yeast, 1/2 c oil, 1c milk, 3/4c water, 3tbs honey, 1.5tsp salt. Mix 2c flour with yeast, heat up the rest of the ingredients, not too hot, and pour them into the flour, yeast. Mix well. Then, add the rest of the flour until it's a good ball, not too sticky. Let rise 10minutes. Roll out on well-floured surface to 1/2 inch thick. Cut out with a wide-mouth lid rim. Place on baking sheet and let rise for 30minutes. Bake at 400 for 10 to 12 min.

I'll never buy buns again, these were great.

Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page