how much of a leek should you use? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-26-2010, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We just got leeks in our CSA, and I confess I don't know how much to use. Do I use just the white part or the long green leaves also?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2010, 07:04 PM

I usually use the white part and the light green, cutting off most of the dark "greens". I think recipes usually tell you which to use.

Make sure you slice it lengthwise to rinse cause they have a lot of sand inside them.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:09 PM

You can use the dark green parts for stocks, just freeze them until needed. But yes, like PP, just use the last 3 inches, where the white part and light green part is. Dont forget to remove the roots and clean out!

wild.gifCrazy Chef-in-training baking wife(27) of geek.gif (32) mother of 2 energy.gif 11-21-03 & 9 - 13 - 07

Old 02-26-2010, 10:12 PM

It depends on what I'm making. If they are going in a soup, I'll cut a v shape, cutting off the dark green parts of the leek that go out, and leaving a long peice of usable leek. if it's going in something else (sauted leeks or something) then I'll just use the white and light green.

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
Old 02-27-2010, 07:26 PM

I use the white and the light green to eat, and then I use the dark green leaves to make stocks.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif

User Tag List