anyone know of a glass slow cooker? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 03-04-2010, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i love my crock pot but its ceramic and i know it has lead in it. DD will be eating solids soon and i cant just give her lead yk? i was wondering if anyone knows of a slow cooker that uses glass instead?

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 23 Old 03-04-2010, 12:00 PM

I don't know about glass, but Al Clad does make a slow cooker with a cast iron insert.
#3 of 23 Old 03-04-2010, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sellendie View Post
I don't know about glass, but Al Clad does make a slow cooker with a cast iron insert.
It's actually cast aluminum unfortunately. I ended up going with the Al Clad ceramic insert as it's supposed to be lead free.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#4 of 23 Old 03-04-2010, 01:01 PM

I've been thinking of getting this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Gourmet-...7718480&sr=8-6

I think it's the only one made w/a glass bowl. Some reviews aren't that great, so I'm still just thinking about it.

gl
hth

All natural sahm to dd1(12yo) and dd2(6yo). Married 16 years.

Time for the Master Tonic! thumb.gif

#5 of 23 Old 03-04-2010, 02:51 PM

I want this one with a clay insert. http://www.amazon.com/VitaClay-VF770...ref=pd_sbs_k_3
#6 of 23 Old 03-04-2010, 02:58 PM

ok, this may be a dumb question, but i have an old crockpot circa the 70's, and i kept it and use it b/c i thought the ceramic/clay part was a good thing. how do you know whether it has lead? i am now freaking out.

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#7 of 23 Old 03-04-2010, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildare View Post
ok, this may be a dumb question, but i have an old crockpot circa the 70's, and i kept it and use it b/c i thought the ceramic/clay part was a good thing. how do you know whether it has lead? i am now freaking out.
um, me too.?
#8 of 23 Old 03-04-2010, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter

they all have lead as far as i know. they are ceramic and glazed so im pretty sure everything thats ceramic and glazed has lead period, but i know the crock pots defiantely have lead...the older ones probably have more....they have 2% lead or something in them now. thanks guys!

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#9 of 23 Old 03-04-2010, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter

im going for that one as its not too expensive and i can buy it at target! thanks
everything always has mixed reviews...i may as well try it and see

#10 of 23 Old 03-05-2010, 10:55 AM

I found this from the fda:
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...21/ai_5117848/
it seems to suggest that the glazed products intended for food use either don't contain lead in the glaze or that they are fired in a way that makes them safe.. I don't know, though. My default state is paranoia!

#11 of 23 Old 03-05-2010, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

i personally dont trust the fda but i know there was a post a while back from someone who asked the company if there was lead and they said there was

#12 of 23 Old 03-06-2010, 04:45 PM

You can use any slow cooker and turn it into a 100% lead-free slow-cooker. It is cheap and easy.

Find a glass bowl that can withstand hot temperatures (such as pyrex) that is a bit smaller than the bowl of the cooker. Put your food in the glass bowl. Fill the slow cooker with water so that the water comes just below the top of your glass bowl. Your food will never come into contact with the slow cooker.

This makes clean-up easier too.
#13 of 23 Old 03-06-2010, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

oh cool thanks

#14 of 23 Old 03-09-2010, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tree-hugger View Post
You can use any slow cooker and turn it into a 100% lead-free slow-cooker. It is cheap and easy.

Find a glass bowl that can withstand hot temperatures (such as pyrex) that is a bit smaller than the bowl of the cooker. Put your food in the glass bowl. Fill the slow cooker with water so that the water comes just below the top of your glass bowl. Your food will never come into contact with the slow cooker.

You're BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!

#15 of 23 Old 03-10-2010, 10:59 PM

Quote:

I wonder if this would work with a pressure cooker, with less or no water? I won't cook in aluminum but hate not to get any use out of this pressure cooker.
#16 of 23 Old 03-11-2010, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

whats wrong with aluminum? im new to all this verything is bad thing lol i always just trusted my country and literally thought pesticides just washed off my fruits and veggies and that meat was pure if you bought it at the store "fresh" and never knew plastic was bad...i researched when i was preggo and found out alot i never even fathomed! recently found out mineral oil is bad that was a shocker! my mom had me on mineral oil since i was 1 y/o b/c ive always been very irregular i had it once a week until i was 15 then i would take it only if i was constipated...i was still doing that until last week! i even used it as baby oil for DD now i switched her oils to safflower. btw how important is it to have organic oil?

#17 of 23 Old 03-11-2010, 11:56 PM

I don't think all glazes on ceramic have lead, however as far as I know, the crock pots do.

aluminum can cause heavy metal toxicity, and is known to be a factor in alzheimers.

Why don't you start a thread for your question about oils? that way, people who know something specifically about them can find your question easily.

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
#18 of 23 Old 03-12-2010, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

oh ok thanks

#19 of 23 Old 09-09-2010, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Not to be a buzz kill here but google "exploding Pyrex" and you can check it on Snopes. A bit frightening.
#20 of 23 Old 09-09-2010, 05:56 PM

Vita Clay

Your User Agreement here at MDC, read it and make it your friend and read the FAQ to answer all the questions of the (MDC) world.
#21 of 23 Old 09-09-2010, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maluhia View Post
Vita Clay
The Vita Clay looks great but so small. I have a 6 quart Hamilton Beach (that I am reconsidering due to lead concerns) and that's barely enough room for making bone broth...8 cups just wouldn't do it.
#22 of 23 Old 09-09-2010, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan'sMom View Post
Not to be a buzz kill here but google "exploding Pyrex" and you can check it on Snopes. A bit frightening.
The "exploding pyrex" reports were generally associated with extreme and sudden temperature changes. I wouldn't worry about using it in a slow cooker because they do not get extremely hot and they do change temperatures very gradually. An oven is likely to get hotter and experience more rapid temperature changes than a slow cooker and most pyrex is rated as oven-safe.
#23 of 23 Old 09-09-2010, 07:56 PM

I use a pot-in-pot technique with my pressure cooker - I think it would work fine with the slow cooker as treehugger described. If you don't like the idea of pyrex, try stainless steel.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page