On the go snacks w/o sugar? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 03-12-2010, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Now that the weather is nicer I am getting out a little more with my dcs and I like to pack a lunchbox. But I am having trouble finding snacky on-the-go foods that aren't sweet! I don't have a problem with some sugar/carbs but I feel like it is all I pack: PB&J, crackers, fresh and dried fruit, juice boxes, dry cereal, cookies, muffins, cereal bars. We need some fat and protein. I prefer not to take an ice pack, but even if I did the only thing I can really think to add is cheese. My kids aren't picky but also are not terribly adventurous. They don't like beans or hummus and are kind of lukewarm about things like summer sausage.

mommy to ds 11/05, dd1 01/08, and dd2 01/10!
#2 of 17 Old 03-12-2010, 07:13 PM

hard cooked eggs? Deviled eggs?
Nuts?
Carrots/celery sticks with any dip - they don't like hummus, but how about ranch?

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#3 of 17 Old 03-12-2010, 09:48 PM

cherry tomatoes
string cheese
snap peas
nuts
grapes
whole wheat bread w/butter spread on it
olives
edamame
#4 of 17 Old 03-12-2010, 10:02 PM

I keep a small container of roasted almonds in my backpack all the time.
#5 of 17 Old 03-12-2010, 10:26 PM - Thread Starter

lots of nuts suggestions... I have to say I have been kind of shying away from nuts. No real reason except that in the same week my daughter stuck a peanut up her nose ($300 ER visit) and I inhaled a peanut into my lung and had to spend a night in the ICU ($4000). So as you can see I just can't afford the darn things!!

#6 of 17 Old 03-12-2010, 11:49 PM
Banned

aseptic milk?

maybe if you know you are going out for the day you could include a lot of protein for breakfast.
#7 of 17 Old 03-13-2010, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberryFields View Post
lots of nuts suggestions... I have to say I have been kind of shying away from nuts. No real reason except that in the same week my daughter stuck a peanut up her nose ($300 ER visit) and I inhaled a peanut into my lung and had to spend a night in the ICU ($4000). So as you can see I just can't afford the darn things!!

I can understand your hesitation to use nuts, but perhaps just avoid peanuts? Most other nuts are not so easily inserted into inappropriate orifices. And so far as nuts go, peanuts are in fact the least healthful, since they are in fact not a nut at all.

Nuts are one of the best protein/fat sources available that do not have to be kept refrigerated - that's why everybody recommends them so readily.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

#8 of 17 Old 03-13-2010, 09:59 AM

What about making your own larabars which is just cashews and dates blended up in a food processor. My kids love them and they are loaded with protein .

namaste.gif Practicing medicine Mama to four beautiful children 
#9 of 17 Old 03-13-2010, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberryFields View Post
, especially the lung thing! Who woulda thunk it?

So, yes, stick to "butters" for the smaller nuts since you are all prone to nut injuries, but you can try bigger ones (cashews, almonds, hazelnuts or even jumbo sized peanuts) that are less easily lodged in bodily crevices where they do not belong. Though I do not blame you for hesitating!

As for more protein, eggs, yogurt, cheese. Frankly, if you are not out in the sun for 6 hours, I would do it without an icepack if it is bothersome. Nothing bad will happen to dairy products in that amount of time. I never send an icepack in DD's lunch and have even tossed uneaten cheese or yogurt back into the fridge.

Apparently doing it rong and ruining it for everyone, but I don't give a crap anymorebanana.gif

#10 of 17 Old 03-13-2010, 11:58 AM

Harder cheeses are made for transporting unrefrigerated. That's the reason they were first made. Softer, younger cheeses wouldn't travel well, so they (our ancestors) aged the cheese more and found they would keep for weeks, if not months. Toting around a chunk of aged cheddar is not going to go bad, even without its rind, in a few hours. I even pack dd soft cheeses and yogurts (again, already preserved with cultures) without an ice pack. She on an all-natural diet and even some of the "processed" cheeses are all natural (like Baby Bel, which dd loves).

I second the UHT milk. I put Horizon Organic in dd's lunch. I don't like the single-serve packaging, but it's a necessary evil at her school (long story).

Seeds and nuts can be put into homemade granola or granola bars. Homemade granola doesn't have to be high in sugar. There are tons of recipes on the internet.

Jerky is another idea. You can make your own if you have a dehydrator or try to find one that is better than the run-of-the-mill jerkies you find in the megamarts.

Ultimately, if you need to, I'd just buy a couple of ice packs to put into the boxes so that you can do things like salads and chicken and other healthy things. Good luck!
#11 of 17 Old 03-13-2010, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I make smoothies in the morning with some yogurt, spinach and fruit. You can also add nuts or nut butters or tofu or whey powder for extra protein. I put it into a thermos with a straw (like the thermos foogo http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...WETYZE74Y2NQH6 ) The thermos keeps it cold and the smoothie is very healthy and has protein. It travels great.

We also do yogurt on the go as well as cheese. Though even with harder cheeses I like to bring an icepack because without it the cheese starts to "sweat".

Also you could get the other kind of thermos that's made for holding food instead of beverages, and fill it with warm things like chili or meatballs, or leftover casserole

Jennifer, mama to darling dancing Juliette, and sweet baby Jameson
#12 of 17 Old 03-14-2010, 12:13 AM

personally I wouldn't do the ultra high temp pasturized milk, because from what I've read, it really damages all the good stuff in the milk.

Honestly, about the only thing I'd pack an ice pack for would be pasturized milk (not raw milk) if it's cool/medium. If it's hot, I'd pack an ice pack for the following mostly. (yogurt, I wouldn't worry about, nor cheese.)

on a cool/medium day, I'd comfortably pack salami, hard cheese, raw milk, yogurt, kefir, cooked chicken or meat, hard boiled eggs for a couple of hours without an ice pack. (maybe grab some cold yogurt from the fridge and put it with the salami, but I honestly wouldn't worry personally if it's high quality stuff) If the animal protein is from high quality, sanitary sources (grass-fed pastured local farm etc), I just don't worry about it going bad in 3-4 hours. all day, yeah, unless it's preserved (dried, salted, cultured, or otherwise), it's probably no good, but if you pack it or take it out of the fridge at say... 8 or 9 am, I'd be totally comfortable unless its sweltering out, eating it at noon without it being chilled.

and if it's the extra weight and bulk of an ice pack that you mind, you could always freeze a waterbottle on hot days. by lunchtime it will be partly melted so you can drink some of it and will keep the food cold.)

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
#13 of 17 Old 03-14-2010, 10:14 AM

if my toddler and i are going out and about i often make a few hardboiled eggs, slice some hard cheese and pack some nuts and dried fruit. an insulated thermos is a great investment, warm leftover chili, split pea soup, cold curried chicken salad with celery and dried cranberries and pecans...
#14 of 17 Old 03-14-2010, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the ideas! Sometimes it is the simplest things that we just don't think of. I did get a lot of great ideas here including freezing the water to drink later--I will definitely give that a try. I have been thinking about a Thermos too but to be honest am a little turned off by childhood memories of lukewarm dinner leftovers. I was not sure if a Thermos would really keep foods out of the danger zone? Veggies, definitely something we like to bring but once again lacking in fat/protein. Although I just had a thought, stuffing celery with cream cheese would add some of that... maybe an ice pack is the way to go. I will have to start browsing some lunchbox set ups!

#15 of 17 Old 03-14-2010, 09:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
if you get a good thermos. double walled stainless steel. expect to spend at least $15-$20 for a single serving container.

also consider packing your lunch in a cooler. with or without an ice pack this will help keep your stuff from getting hot.

honestly I never worry about keeping stuff cold in the summer. so long as it won;t get hot or melt it should be fine. yogurt can be frozen. by lunch it should be about thawed. If I made meat and cheese sandwhiches i just wouldn't put mayo on them (mustard keeps pretty well).

how about dried veggies? snappeas are good (we get them by the croutons.). baked peas are also pretty tasty.

things like carrots, cucumbers, and celery if packed in water should be fine in the car for a few hours. especially if you pack a few ice cubes in the water.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#16 of 17 Old 03-14-2010, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyka View Post
If I made meat and cheese sandwhiches i just wouldn't put mayo on them (mustard keeps pretty well).
I just have to address this. Is it an old wives' tale that mayonnaise will spoil if not refrigerated. Commercially prepared mayonnaise doesn't have to be kept refrigerated at all - in many areas it's actually stored in the pantry and not the fridge. The pH of mayo inhibits bacterial growth, so go ahead and put some mayo on those sandwiches.

#17 of 17 Old 03-15-2010, 02:58 PM

My mom sent hot food in a thermos all the time when I was a kid. It was always still hot. She says the trick is to fill the thermos with hot/boiling water, and let it sit in there while you're warming the food, then dump out the water and put the food in. That way the thermos is starting out hot. It seems to work!

Me and DP, No children yet, but we plan on having kids someday. I'm trying to lose weight and get fit. Ask if I've done my push-ups this week.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page