Healthier Mashed potatoes? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 54 Old 03-17-2010, 05:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdescalzi View Post
Thank you so much for all the great ideas...I am so excited to try potatoes with avocado, spinch and garlic and the kale. I know butter and milk are healthy but I have been trying to loose weight and have been looking for ideas on how to just cut back on fats in general
If that's the case, I've had a lot of luck cutting out the potatoes instead of the butter and cream.

mom to one glorious sweetpea born 10/18/2007.

#32 of 54 Old 03-17-2010, 05:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Add cabbage! Especially today mmmm colcannon.

Liz om.gif Lovin' DH partners.gif DS (12) coolshine.gif and forever missing DD angel3.gif (12/02/07) ribbonpb.gif
From the withered tree, a flower blooms~ He's here!!! So crazy in love with my  rainbow1284.gif  boy!!! 12/14/11 luxlove.gif fly-by-nursing1.gif

#33 of 54 Old 03-17-2010, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueridgewoman View Post
If that's the case, I've had a lot of luck cutting out the potatoes instead of the butter and cream.

I eat an (almost) embarrassing amount of butter (and olive oil, coconut oil, bacon, whole milk etc...) and don't gain weight. Only time I notice weight loss is when I cut back on the carbs, in particular all sugars and processed grains. One week I just cut out all the sugar (even fruit) and lost 7 lbs! Didn't exercise any extra, had eggs and bacon most every morning, etc. Unfortunately, I work in a coffee shop, love sugar and don't care too much about the extra 15lbs I'm carrying around so I've never been able to kick the habit for any length of time. But to each, his own. My vote stays with butter

"Tis the gift to be simple, 'tis the gift to be free, 'tis the gift to come down where you ought to be."
#34 of 54 Old 03-17-2010, 06:16 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I almost always add a head of roasted garlic to mashed potatoes.
#35 of 54 Old 03-17-2010, 07:18 PM

We add one or two:

sweet potatoes

turnips

roasted garlic

kefir

cauliflower

brocolli

bacon and/or bacon grease

parmesan cheese

lots of Italian parsley

and to all I add lots of butter, goat milk, sea salt, and pepper

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

#36 of 54 Old 03-18-2010, 12:28 AM

mmmhh had colcannon at work for the first time today... soooo good! we did colcannon with kale, I think you can use many types of greens. just sauted kale and onions, and mixed into buttermilk mashed potatos

(and yup, here's another vote where eating fat didn't increase my weight. actually, by eating more healthy fat, I LOST weight, because I felt fuller, so didn't want to snack on sugar and white flour.)

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
#37 of 54 Old 03-18-2010, 01:12 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Chopped parsley for magnesium and iron (I think?). If roasting garlic is too much prep work, just stick a peeled clove in with the potatoes when you boil them and mash it all up together. You can also add wilted spinach, sauteed spring onions, grated cheese, chives, basil...

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#38 of 54 Old 03-18-2010, 02:25 PM

For supper last night I made corned beef and cabbage. I used too many potatoes (red skinned). I think I'll just puree all of the carrots, potatoes, cabbage, and onions for a side dish tonight.

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

#39 of 54 Old 03-18-2010, 02:45 PM

Quote:

Mashed cauliflower is a good weight-loss substitute for mashed potatoes.

Mashed faux-tatoes!

dog2.gifcrochetsmilie.gif Lovin' my sweetheart, pregnant with #1 (EDD Feb.2013) stork-suprise.gif

#40 of 54 Old 03-19-2010, 12:23 AM

Quote:
totally. for general health and weight loss ive found my body does well with more butter and cream and less starches and especially less refined carbs. there is a lot of debate on the whole "fat makes you fat' theory of weight loss, and from my personal learning/research/too much time reading, i believe too much sugar, refined/processed foods, and generally too many carbs might be making us fat. but i digress.

i love mashed potatoes and cauliflower with plenty of butter and cream.
#41 of 54 Old 03-19-2010, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicky2 View Post
We add one or two:

sweet potatoes

turnips

roasted garlic

kefir

cauliflower

brocolli

bacon and/or bacon grease

parmesan cheese

lots of Italian parsley

and to all I add lots of butter, goat milk, sea salt, and pepper
all sound sooo yummy.
#42 of 54 Old 03-19-2010, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amma_mama View Post
Garlic and spinach mashed potatoes!

I saute the garlic and spinach separately in a little olive oil and mix into "regular" mashed potatoes.
MMM, that sounds delicious! I would definitely go with this suggestion, healthy and tasty.
#43 of 54 Old 03-19-2010, 03:00 AM

(We use organic red potatoes with the skin on.) To about half a bag [about 3 lbs?] I also put in the pot to boil one large sweet yellow onion cut in chunks and 6 or 7 whole peeled cloves of garlic. When the potatoes are tender enough, I drain them really well and let them dry out a bit, then dump in one small container of plain yogurt, the juice of a whole lemon, a good squirt of olive oil, sea salt, pepper, and some chopped chives [fresh or dry, doesn't matter]. Mash it all together (we like it a little chunky) and if you need to add some more olive oil, do so. After the initial mashing I use a big wooden spoon to mix it all up.

IF we have leftovers, I'll usually either make little patties and cook them in some more olive oil in the morning, or mix in a bunch of thawed and squeezed dry frozen spinach and spread it in a baking dish and sprinkle it with some parmesan and bake it until it's crispy on top.

Fwiw, I'm about 34 weeks prego right now and it's 1am here... and now I want some mashed potatoes.

Jfly-by-nursing1.gif, partner-in-crime to Dfamilybed2.gif, mama to run.gif4, including our brand new rainbow1284.gifbaby.gifmissing my 7-wk-er

#44 of 54 Old 03-19-2010, 04:21 AM

I use yukon golds because the texture and flavor means less butter is necessary. Or half russets and half yukon golds.

My favorite is to add a little butter, light sour cream (or whole milk yogurt), horseradish, and garlic. Oh, and salt and pepper.

scifi-convention runners Kate, DH Drew 11/07, DD Cora 12/97. We , ,
Welcome to baby Fiona with a giant omphalocele, 6/17/10!
#45 of 54 Old 03-19-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by organicmidwestmama View Post
there is a lot of debate on the whole "fat makes you fat' theory of weight loss, and from my personal learning/research/too much time reading, i believe too much sugar, refined/processed foods, and generally too many carbs might be making us fat. but i digress.
I agree with what you say about the fat being overrated, and fat doesn't make you fat - but remember the french live on bread, italians on pasta, and asians on rice. it's total calorie consumption that makes us fat (which is what i assume you meant but "too many carbs") and a lack of activity combined which makes us soft lol. refined/processed foods are also a no-no.

sorry, i'm a tangent person!
#46 of 54 Old 03-19-2010, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresh_veggie View Post
I agree with what you say about the fat being overrated, and fat doesn't make you fat - but remember the french live on bread, italians on pasta, and asians on rice. it's total calorie consumption that makes us fat (which is what i assume you meant but "too many carbs") and a lack of activity combined which makes us soft lol. refined/processed foods are also a no-no.

sorry, i'm a tangent person!
no worries, i too love a tangent. so heres another- the calories eaten, calories worked off theory is flawed. read good calories, bad calories by science writer gary taubes if youre interested in further information. asains, though the diet of much of the worlds people cannot be summed up by a continent, actually eat a lot of good fats from meat, fatty seafood, coconut products, palm products, and some dairy products ie ghee, yak butter, cream, etc.

my sister lived in italy and said while she noticed a great deal of pasta eating, they also ate plenty of low-carb veggies, fresh fruit, and LOTS of meat. sis is vegetarian so this was hard for her!

the french eat tons of fat- duck confit, fatty cheese like triple cream brie are just a couple popular dishes they enjoy cooking in duck fat many delicious meats and veggies not to say many french folk dont enjoy bread, but it certainly should not be the majority of anyones diet imho.
#47 of 54 Old 03-19-2010, 01:39 PM

Just wanted to add that cannelini beans become very creamy when they are pureed with water and they are very mild tasting. You can sub this for part of the milk you would use and add some extra healthy protein to the potatoes.

M : proud mama to B (16) : and G (8) and : x 2 :
#48 of 54 Old 03-19-2010, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie Mac View Post
Cauliflower! Mashed in with the potatoes.
Yep!!
I followed the South Beach Diet for a while and they have a recipe for Surprise Mashed Potatoes.....it is whipped Cauliflower with some I Can't Believe it's not Buttter, Garlic, a splash of milk/half and half. My hubby hates cauliflower....he loves this. I blend it so it is smooth like whipped potatoes.

PAT- photosmile2.gif Mommy to a super little boy kid.gif Tyr -Nov 17, 2006 Married to joy.gif Sky -August 28, 1993 
Sadly, Jan 21, 2011  m/c 6w5d  angel.gif
#49 of 54 Old 03-19-2010, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by organicmidwestmama View Post
my sister lived in italy and said while she noticed a great deal of pasta eating, they also ate plenty of low-carb veggies, fresh fruit, and LOTS of meat. sis is vegetarian so this was hard for her!
Also, they eat a small portion of pasta as a first course followed my meat/fish/cheese/veggies/salad etc NOT a huge plateful of the stuff and they don't really snack between meals or eat a lot of 'junk' type foods.
#50 of 54 Old 03-19-2010, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenzero View Post
Also, they eat a small portion of pasta as a first course followed my meat/fish/cheese/veggies/salad etc NOT a huge plateful of the stuff and they don't really snack between meals or eat a lot of 'junk' type foods.
true, my sis lost 30lbs while there for 1 year! she said no one snacked, lunch was enormous, and dinner and breakfast were small. she lived in the northern part of the country and there was very little packaged/convenience food available, not even peanut butter. it was a very small town too so fast food wasnt available.
#51 of 54 Old 03-19-2010, 08:13 PM

My dh makes great mashed potatoes - he adds butter, whole milk, and yogurt cheese/labaneh. They are thick mashed potatoes, not light and fluffy. It's really yummy and good for you.

We also believe that butter and cream are good for you.

Laura - Mom to ds (10) and dd (7) "Time stands still best in moments that look suspiciously like ordinary life." Brian Andreas.

#52 of 54 Old 03-27-2010, 01:13 PM

Okay, so I'm coming at this from a pre-T.F knowledge, before I found out that everything I thought I knew about food was backwards LOL! But I have always read that white potatoes (rather than sweet potatoes) are bad for you, just like white bread. Is that false as well? Or are we just enjoying them anyway?

Amy ~ SAHM to DS (9) DD (5) and DS (2) And  expecting a  stork-girl.gif  late May 2012!

homebirth.jpg  cd.gif  slingboy.gif  familybed1.gif  winner.jpg  novaxnocirc.gif  goorganic.jpg

#53 of 54 Old 03-28-2010, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisymommy View Post
Okay, so I'm coming at this from a pre-T.F knowledge, before I found out that everything I thought I knew about food was backwards LOL! But I have always read that white potatoes (rather than sweet potatoes) are bad for you, just like white bread. Is that false as well? Or are we just enjoying them anyway?

White potatoes are part of the nightshade family, and I believe should not be eaten every day. Someone correct me if I'm wrong? Sweet potatoes/yams are not nightshades, however, which you are correct about.

"It is reported that nightshades contain high levels of alkaloids which cause the bones to excrete calcium, other minerals, and trace elements from the body. Many enlightened doctors and nutritionists recommend that those suffering from arthritis symptoms eliminate nightshades."

Really great link!!!

In my book, having a big heaping, steaming pile of buttery ashed potatoes every once in a while doesn't hurt too much. But yeah, lol.
#54 of 54 Old 03-28-2010, 02:36 AM

I know some folks add milk but I prefer butter.

Worlds Best Mom

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page