Birthday Cake/Treat with no wheat - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 03-17-2010, 02:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DD has some food sensitivities ~ Wheat, milk and eggs. I'm looking for a creative recipe for a treat to make her on her first birthday. She also doesn't eat any sugar. I'd be ok with adding a little natural sweetener though. I've made her some rice flour waffles, but baking with alternative flours/grains is new for me. I thought maybe I could make rice muffins with a fruity yogurt topping (She can eat yogurt, cottage cheese, and keefer)
What else could I try? Thanks for the help!
#2 of 10 Old 03-17-2010, 11:21 AM

http://mothering.com/discussions/sho....php?t=1204856

check this thread out.
#3 of 10 Old 03-17-2010, 11:46 AM

For DD2's birthday, we just did make your own ice cream sundaes, and for myself and my kids, we had the Purely Decadent Coconut Milk ice cream (made with agave).

I have a carrot cake recipe that doesn't have those things. I don't remember what I used as the sweetener, probably palm sugar.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#4 of 10 Old 03-18-2010, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks ~ Would you mind posting your carrot cake recipe kjbrown, if you have it handy
#5 of 10 Old 03-25-2010, 08:52 AM

Subbing for ideas since dd's 3rd birthday is soon and she is egg, dairy, gluten free and wants a "purple" cake.
#6 of 10 Old 03-25-2010, 04:44 PM

what about this vegan chocolate cake?

http://www.chooseveg.com/vegan-chocolate-cake.asp

it's egg free & dairy free. you could substitute the flour with almond flour & the sugar with a natural sweetener.

hth.

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

#7 of 10 Old 03-25-2010, 05:05 PM

The cake thread

in the allergy forum is great. I was about to make the cake again tonight!

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#8 of 10 Old 03-25-2010, 07:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This recipe was recommended in another thread, you'd need to use an egg replacer, Ener-G or flax goo maybe?

http://healthyindulgences.blogspot.c...th-secret.html

It looks so moist and decadent. I'm going to try it for DS's birthday in a couple weeks, need to do a test run soon.
#9 of 10 Old 03-27-2010, 12:46 AM

my husband and kids love a good popcorn cake, but it does use marshmallows... I bet you could find some natural ones at whole foods or the like. it is simply a giant rice krispie treat with popcorn instead of cereal. mix in nuts or candies and press into a bundt pan.

dh 09-25-79 * ds 09-17-06 * ds 02-26-08 * 2-09 & 10-09
*****d? 11-10 :-)
#10 of 10 Old 03-28-2010, 12:44 AM

For our son's birthdays I either build or carve a watermelon sculpture and decorate it with other fruits he can have.
His first such "cake" was tiers of watermelon circles (progressively smaller from bottom to top), with between-layers of sliced bananas, decorated around the base with unpeeled whole bananas, and decorated on the top & ledges with strawberries and blueberries. We added his two candles with banana-slice holders and topped it with an adorable Curious George figure amongst a nest of blueberries & banana slices. It was magnificent, colorful, fun -- and he still remembers it to this day!
Another favorite watermelon "cake" was a carving inspired by his love for watching his big cousin play video games and the "watermelon carvings" Google Images search I did the day before It said, "Happy B-day III" in Guitar Hero lettering and really turned out wonderfully.

If you'd like to try your hand at watermelon carving, there are also plenty of great ideas on the watermelon promotion board (again, Google is my friend...)

HTH & happy b-day to your little one!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page