Fluoride-free drinking water? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-18-2010, 12:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Are the bottles of drinking water sold in grocery stores fluoride-free? How can I find out?? Does it say on the bottle?? I know some are "from a municipal source", so I imagine those have fluoride, but what about "filtered" water, or "spring" water??

I noticed spots on DS's teeth tonight, so I'm working to rid our family of fluoridated water, on the cheap.

Wife to DH (10/2004) ~ Mama to DS (1/2009) ~ belly.gif (11/2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 03-21-2010, 01:53 AM

I know our local grocery brand will label spring water as "contains fluoride" if it does, so you might assume no otherwise, but the label might tell you. Just to be safe though, If you are trying to rid fluoride from your family, I highly suggest replacing the bottled water from the store and getting a 10-stage water filter for your tap instead. They run about $100 (most health food stores carry them) but that will get you enough filtered water for a year. I was spending $5/week on bottled water prior to buying one and felt awful about how much plastic I was wasting. We love our 10-stage water filter.

Hey
#3 of 5 Old 03-21-2010, 06:08 PM

I would call the company and ask them exactly how much they contain. I used to have a book mark that listed the brands and exactly how much they claim to contain...there is a list out there somewhere. But companies may have changed since then too. ETA: when we were doing it on the cheap I found someone close with safe well water and exported it from there myself.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
#4 of 5 Old 03-22-2010, 12:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix78 View Post
I know our local grocery brand will label spring water as "contains fluoride" if it does, so you might assume no otherwise, but the label might tell you. Just to be safe though, If you are trying to rid fluoride from your family, I highly suggest replacing the bottled water from the store and getting a 10-stage water filter for your tap instead. They run about $100 (most health food stores carry them) but that will get you enough filtered water for a year. I was spending $5/week on bottled water prior to buying one and felt awful about how much plastic I was wasting. We love our 10-stage water filter.
In the long run, I do want to get a filter, but right now, we don't have an extra $100. I'm glad to know there's a faucet-mounted one out there! In my preliminary research, all I found was a $250 counter top one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonStarFalling View Post
I would call the company and ask them exactly how much they contain. I used to have a book mark that listed the brands and exactly how much they claim to contain...there is a list out there somewhere. But companies may have changed since then too. ETA: when we were doing it on the cheap I found someone close with safe well water and exported it from there myself.
We live in the city, so local well water is hard to come by. The in-laws have it, though, so maybe we could stock up when we visit them for Easter!! Great idea!

Wife to DH (10/2004) ~ Mama to DS (1/2009) ~ belly.gif (11/2011)
#5 of 5 Old 03-22-2010, 06:07 PM

Which 10 stage filter removes the fluoride? The new wave enviro is $100 but it says it does not remove fluoride. I did see this fluoride filter for $99.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page