How Healthy/Unhealthy is Malt-o-Meal? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 03-22-2010, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When I was little, my mother fed me Malt-o-Meal which I just love. A couple of weeks ago, I was feeling nostalgic and picked up a box at the store and introduced my 2 year old to it for the first time. We had it for breakfast every day for two weeks. I figured one box wouldn't kill us.

We finished the box today and I was wondering how healthy it is. Is it good for you? Bad for any reason? Is it considered whole grain?

I'm just wondering if I should "renew my subscription," so to speak.

Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif
#2 of 8 Old 03-22-2010, 08:48 PM

I have no idea, but I used to LOVE Malto Meal, too! I haven't had it in years!

What are the ingredients that are listed on the side of the box?

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." -Plato
#3 of 8 Old 03-22-2010, 11:22 PM

Nutritious? It is processed wheat with some vitamins thrown in, so no great rewards. However, the "original" flavor has nothing bad in it, just semolina, malted barley and fortified/enriched with vitamins. I think that the plain version is just the wheat and vitamins. As long as you stay away from the flavored ones, which have some artificial ingredients, it is not too bad.

I actually buy plain semolina (sooji) from an Indian grocery and add my own flavors (maple or sugar/cinnamon). It is much cheaper than the box and I can control the flavors and amount of sugar. I suppose that you get a malted mix that has no artificial flavors to make your own Malt-o-Meal.

Apparently doing it rong and ruining it for everyone, but I don't give a crap anymorebanana.gif

#4 of 8 Old 03-23-2010, 03:13 AM - Thread Starter

I have the original unflavored variety. I don't do anything to it except add honey to sweeten it slightly and sometimes I put some goat milk in it if it's a little too thick.

Ingredients: Wheat farina, malted barley, calcium carbonate, ferric orthophosphate (iron), niacin (niacinamide), Vitamin B6, folate, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B2.

It has 5 grams of protein per serving which isn't bad at all, actually!

Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif
#5 of 8 Old 03-23-2010, 03:17 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
You could stir in some flax meal or flax seed oil for extra nutrition.
#6 of 8 Old 03-23-2010, 03:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viola View Post
You could stir in some flax meal or flax seed oil for extra nutrition.
Why didn't I think of that?! I always keep some in the fridge to add to this and that. Thanks!

#7 of 8 Old 03-23-2010, 03:27 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
That's one of the ways I get my kids to eat flax oil, that and smoothies. But I have some flax meal for extra fiber, I just haven't started adding it to anything yet.
#8 of 8 Old 03-23-2010, 10:58 AM

You can also buy a whole wheat version - Bob's Red Mill makes one. It isn't quite as creamy and smooth, but still yummy.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page