Remind me why diet coke is awful - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 03-30-2010, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am a very healthy eater. No processed foods, very few grains, mostly meat, vegetables, eggs, some dairy. All organic. The one exception, and I know it's a big one, is I still drink diet coke. I'm down to one 12 oz. can a day, which is much better than my past habit (at one point in college I drank 12 each day )

I know they are bad for me, I know I shouldn't drink them, but I've been drinking diet coke since I was 10 (yes, again, I know that is awful) and it is a very deeply set habit.

So, please just post the awful things you know about diet coke. I think I am ready to kick this one last can a day out of my life.

#2 of 30 Old 03-30-2010, 05:45 PM

Because aspartame is very very bad for you.

I miss diet coke so I do feel your pain on this one.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#3 of 30 Old 03-30-2010, 06:05 PM

Drinking soda (diet moreson than regular) greatly increases your chances for developing kidney problems, including kidney stones and general kidney disease.

The artificial sweeteners and caffeine can worsen or help bring about irritable bowel syndrome.

Kelly, mama (12yoDS), doula, RN, and writer.
There's no where you can be that isn't where you were meant to be, its easy
#4 of 30 Old 03-30-2010, 06:14 PM

Because artificial sweeteners are artificial? (and give me a migraine)

Soda is bad in general, but diet soda is even worse than HFCS soda. When I do drink coke, which is rarely and I haven't for a while now, I prefer the kind in a glass bottle made with real cane sugar - sometimes called Mexican coke. My Albertson's sells it.

Personally, I would switch to regular coke and then wean off of it, if I wanted to be soda-free. Replace with unsweetened ice tea if you want the caffeine.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#5 of 30 Old 03-30-2010, 06:21 PM

Aspartame is nasty, and the HFCS isn't any better.

I gave up diet coke when I was pregnant because of the aspartame, unfortnately at that point I was not well informed on the equal yuckiness of HFCS...Soda doesn't even really appeal to me anymore. And if it does, I second the goodness of mexican coke! I have bought it a couple of times, and it is delish!

caffix.gifChristine: Mama to bouncy.gif  DS 04/17/08  *Infant Stroke Survivor*  Always remembering:  brokenheart.gifbrokenheart.gifbrokenheart.gif

Took a 'break' from TTC and look what happened:  2ndtri.gif!!!!    praying.gif  for a healthy, full term baby to be born August 2012!!  Hoping for a vbac.gif!

#6 of 30 Old 03-30-2010, 07:56 PM

Because it's not Diet Pepsi

Okay, sorry. . . couldn't resist.

Wife to a great DH, SAHM to 3 great kids
#7 of 30 Old 03-30-2010, 08:14 PM

I hear you! I am generally a very healthy eater, but do love drinking Diet Coke. I know I shouldn't, but sometimes I can't resist.

Actually, I drink Coke Zero more than Diet Coke. They are probably equally not good for you. I'm not sure what Coke Zero is sweetened with...

I'm surely reading these replies with great interest!
#8 of 30 Old 03-30-2010, 09:24 PM

Because the cans are lined with BPA (along with all other soda cans and most canned food, and so many more things), but if you're going to drink it, definitely don't get it in cans.

That being said, I do enjoy an occasional (once every 2 months?) diet coke, though I used to indulge much more frequently. Aspartame is just really, really bad. But now I mostly satisfy my urge for bubbly with mineral water or seltzer. My other non-water beverage is herbal or regular iced teas sweetened with stevia.

Kombucha is also "bubbly". I don't brew my own, but I some times buy the (very expensive) GT's brand if I want something that bubbles.
#9 of 30 Old 03-30-2010, 10:48 PM

What is it that has you addicted? The caffeine?

Mama to expecting Babe 2
#10 of 30 Old 03-31-2010, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by claddaghmom View Post
What is it that has you addicted? The caffeine?
I don't think it's the caffeine -- I drink coffee in the morning, so I get caffeine that way. Plus, it doesn't feel like an "addiction" - more like a habit. I am used to the fizzy, cold with my lunch. I've gone weeks without it before and haven't felt bad at all (I drank seltzer instead). But I always come back to it. I think I always tell myself that it's not THAT bad...and what's a little bit of bad in your life, right? But, of course, in reality, diet coke could be a BIG bad and I don't want to one day be diagnosed with a disease that is linked to diet coke. But I guess I haven't been convinced the bad outweighs the good yet.

#11 of 30 Old 03-31-2010, 09:04 AM

haha..trying to get off the Diet Dr. Pepper here...ugh. Good luck. I second the unsweetened Iced tea...with Lemon of course

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=802589268Blissed out Mama of 4 Peace.gif
#12 of 30 Old 03-31-2010, 09:19 AM

Here's how I quit...

1. Replaced my diet coke with 1 Excedrin in the morning. This gave me caffeine and pain control for withdrawal.

2.Drank caffeinated tea in the afternoon if I felt sluggish, but ideally didn't have any more caffeine unless I really felt bad.

3.Then, I replaced 1&2 with some caffeine mints (that have less caffeine than Excedrin) and am slowly weaning off those.

The Excedrin is what allowed me to walk away from the diet coke and was actually very effective because this time I've been able to quit.

I think I did the Excedrin for 3-4 days before switching to the caffeine mints. The mint I use is called Jolt and is sold in drug stores/gas stations.

V

Happy Momma to DD (almost 3) Fall Coleslaw -- Simple Italian Stuffed Peppers -- - Fall Toddler Activities.- We Made a Play Kitchen Selling gently used books on all topics here.
#13 of 30 Old 03-31-2010, 10:05 AM

Here's a good article on the BPA issue.

http://www.loe.org/shows/segments.ht...36&segmentID=3
#14 of 30 Old 03-31-2010, 10:47 AM

Because aspartame is terrifying. An exbf of mine was diabetic and drank a lot of diet pop, and I remember him telling me once that pilots aren't allowed to have aspartame because it increased the chance of something...seizures maybe? Not sure if it was true or not, and it never mattered to me because aspartame gives me a horrible migraine anyway so I avoid anything with it.

lady.gif Kaitlyn,partners.gif Sweetheart To My Prince Charming reading.gif & Mama To My Fur-baby flowerkitty.gif
#15 of 30 Old 03-31-2010, 10:50 AM

There's a documentary "Sweet Misery". That helped me get off the diet drinks.
#16 of 30 Old 03-31-2010, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Isn't it also bad for your teeth and bones?

Lydia
#17 of 30 Old 03-31-2010, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchycanadian View Post
Because aspartame is terrifying. An exbf of mine was diabetic and drank a lot of diet pop, and I remember him telling me once that pilots aren't allowed to have aspartame because it increased the chance of something...seizures maybe? Not sure if it was true or not, and it never mattered to me because aspartame gives me a horrible migraine anyway so I avoid anything with it.
http://www.mercola.com/article/aspartame/dangers.htm
#18 of 30 Old 03-31-2010, 11:14 AM

"The Dangers of Aspartame" (news report)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvFRLIjOLOU

"The Link Between Aspartame and Brain Tumors"
http://www.naturalnews.com/011804.html

http://www.mpwhi.com/aspartame_study...ble_tumors.pdf

Caffeine is a drug that is more dangerous than some of the illegal ones IMO. I was on it my whole life until the age of 29 when I went cold turkey. I was drinking 6 cans of Mountain Dew a day. I like the other lady's idea about using a crutch to help with the withdrawals. I personally was between jobs, so I took advantage of it. I slept for 3 days and had a headache for 2 weeks. I salivated at the thought of (real) jsoda for 2 months. I drank caffeine free soda instead. On the east coast, they have caffeine free mountain dew but you can't get it out west... there is also caffeine free coke and pepsi. I drank CF Pepsi for years. I tried to quit it a couple times. This last time, I was determined to stop putting the trash in my body. I eat organic and needed to get over that one little thing from the old days. I used sweet tea (decaf of course, I do not desire to use caffeine again since getting clean, except before children when I needed help driving cross country). I also drank grape juice made from concentrate. I guess the first thing I did was to change what I drank. I went from caffeine free Pepsi to Ginger ale floats (lime sherbert in ginger ale) then I cut that out too, switching to the tea... I now crave water actually which is weird for me because my whole life I have disliked drinking water. I still drink juice too much, but hey at least its not crack (or spartame, caffeine, HFCS, preservatives.....) one other thing you could try is to switch to natural sodas only (organic) that don't have caffeine. I think the aspartame is addictive too, and it is deadly.... just do a search on health risks of aspartame.... I see a snopes article comes up too, but I don't put any stock in that site since they say vaccines are safe too....

To begin to save the world, we must first nurture the children. Read "The Continuum Concept: In Search of Happiness Lost"    saynovax.gifgoorganic.jpgintactlact.gifMe-hippie.gifreading.gifhelp.gif10.5 yo dd1- nut.gifreading.gifblahblah.gif ; 5 yo dd2- angel.gifhearts.gifbouncy.gif
#19 of 30 Old 03-31-2010, 12:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Aspartame creeps me out.

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#20 of 30 Old 03-31-2010, 12:35 PM

I <3 diet coke...gah! I needed this thread.

Jenn, future midwife, mama to 2 sweet girls (6/05) and (5/07). 
#21 of 30 Old 03-31-2010, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone - that is what I needed. I read the mercola article - that is scary. And it will be good evidence to bring to my DH about why we should stop (because he has a diet coke habit too). And I will definitely try the different suggestions for quitting -- the excedrin idea is great. I definitely don't want to start drinking more coffee to make up for lost diet coke! And ice teas sound good, too.

Done. No more diet coke.

#22 of 30 Old 03-31-2010, 02:52 PM

I love the feeling of fizz and carbonation! Have you tried Izze to replace that feeling? I mean, if that's what you are really craving, then might as well provide something during the toughest time!

http://www.drmomma.org/2008/01/your-...-drinking.html

Here's an article that describes your body the 1st hour after drinking a can of soda.

Mama to expecting Babe 2
#23 of 30 Old 03-31-2010, 11:06 PM

I read this article, an experiment performed by a private citizen, and it freaked me out about aspartame for life!

http://writerswithoutborders.net/vib/aspartame/
#24 of 30 Old 04-02-2010, 09:53 AM

oh gosh, i relate! my vice/addiction/love was diet orange soda. i LOVED that stuff! i've been off caffeine for almost 2 months now though & i feel great. a healthy alternative is water kefir. it is called nature's soda, and it's carbonated and yummy! super easy to make! i drink that everyday now.

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

#25 of 30 Old 04-03-2010, 09:08 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonPie View Post
Because it's not Diet Pepsi

Okay, sorry. . . couldn't resist.

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#26 of 30 Old 04-27-2010, 01:25 PM

Okay, so my dh has pleaded with me and somewhat convinced me to give up my diet soda addiction. I am a little reluctant because I don't see any alternative that I am even remotely interested in.

He suggests tea, but growing up in the northern part of IL, I didn't see a lot of tea drinkers and personally don't like the stuff. Of course, I didn't like diet soda when I was addicted to regular soda, but started drinking it to lose weight.

So my question is, if I switch to tea, is there a 0 cal, easy to make/buy alternative that doesn't have anything else bad in it? I don't want to get drinking something else and realize that it too is bad for me.

Also, has anyone had any luck with carbonated water? Is there a kind that actually has a GOOD flavor? I think I would miss the carbonation too.
#27 of 30 Old 04-27-2010, 01:41 PM

this is a good thread for me as I recently gave up Coke Zero for Lent and then fell right back off the wagon after Easter. For me it's primarily the caffeine...so it is easily replaceable with tea or coffee...
#28 of 30 Old 04-27-2010, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berry987 View Post
I am a very healthy eater. No processed foods, very few grains, mostly meat, vegetables, eggs, some dairy. All organic. The one exception, and I know it's a big one, is I still drink diet coke. I'm down to one 12 oz. can a day, which is much better than my past habit (at one point in college I drank 12 each day )

I know they are bad for me, I know I shouldn't drink them, but I've been drinking diet coke since I was 10 (yes, again, I know that is awful) and it is a very deeply set habit.

So, please just post the awful things you know about diet coke. I think I am ready to kick this one last can a day out of my life.
Can't stand diet coke so can't really help although i was for a while drinking loads of regular coke.
Not sure about where you are but i know here anyway you can get organic cola.

Becky, sahm to angel.gif25/04/2000 Chloe 12/04/2002 Cameron 19/02/2004 Caitlin 28/06/2005 angel.gif24/07/2006 and Caden 14/03/2008

Xander 19/05/2011
angel.gif 19.05.2012 angel.gif 18.08.2012 angel.gif 24.05.2013 angel.gif 25.6.2013 belly.gif 04.09.2014 uc.jpg

#29 of 30 Old 04-27-2010, 07:44 PM

Muppet, you could take the plunge and switch to water.

It only takes about a week to start enjoying it and craving the taste.

Mother to R- 2/09, & C- 5/11

#30 of 30 Old 04-27-2010, 08:38 PM

I read somewhere that Aspartame turns into formaldehyde when heated. So if your diet coke can was left in a hot car and you refrigerated later you would be ingesting neurotoxins. Well that's what they assume with the guys that served in the Gulf War... I read this online though so not sure how true it is.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page