Can we talk about agave? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-30-2010, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hey there,

I have been reading lots lately about agave -- both good and bad. Frankly I am not totally convinced agave is as bad as HFCS.

But I am still undecided.

What do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2010, 10:15 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=802589268Blissed out Mama of 4 Peace.gif
Old 03-31-2010, 03:44 PM

I don't eat it. I haven't looked into the issue that thouroughly, because I never really used it that much. since I never relied on it anyways, it's really no challenge to avoid it (except that there are no ketchups made with any real natural sweetners.) I know some people who have looked into the actual research, and I think what they discovered is that the "good" research was all paid for by companies makeing agave.

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
Old 03-31-2010, 03:53 PM

I haven't done the research...but I've seen an article where it says it's basically empty calories...but arent' most sugars like that?

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
Old 03-31-2010, 04:53 PM

I don't use it because it's fairly processed (and I think the argument can be made that it's highly processed but I haven't had time to do that much research on it). We stick with local raw honey and occasionally organic maple syrup.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

Old 03-31-2010, 09:07 PM

We use raw local honey on toast, cheaper not-raw honey for baking bread, and rapadura for baking other things. We pour local maple syrup on plain yogurt. These are all expensive sweeteners, but I figure a tablespoon of rapadura per dozen muffins isn't going to break the bank here. I tried agave, and liked that it had a lower glycemic index, but it seems to not be good for the liver, so we're not using it much anymore. But some really tasty things have agave in them already (like Nancy's Kefir and the Coconut Bliss ice cream), and I don't worry much about that.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:37 PM

Dr. Mercola just had an article on it. His opinion is that it is terrible for you--more fructose than HFCS. Check it out on his website.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:25 AM

I don't see how it is different from HFCS, people can feel free to disagree though

Not all those who wander are lost 
Old 04-01-2010, 09:16 AM

Subbing.

I feel terrible after eating it. My gums and stomach hurt and recently from trialing it my baby was having allergies from it.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmom327 View Post
I don't use it because it's fairly processed (and I think the argument can be made that it's highly processed but I haven't had time to do that much research on it). We stick with local raw honey and occasionally organic maple syrup.
I read something like this recently too. That it's just as processed as sugar is.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

Old 04-01-2010, 09:58 AM

Actually there seems to be a lot of misinformation and I think some agave companies are better than others.

I read this info on Elana's Pantry about agave and which brand she uses--she links to a rebuttal on some of the anti-agave info. Then I went to the company website she recommends and learned they don't process their agave and so we're trying some.

V

Happy Momma to DD (almost 3) Fall Coleslaw -- Simple Italian Stuffed Peppers -- - Fall Toddler Activities.- We Made a Play Kitchen Selling gently used books on all topics here.
Old 04-01-2010, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchestermafia View Post
Dr. Mercola just had an article on it. His opinion is that it is terrible for you--more fructose than HFCS. Check it out on his website.
I was just about to mention this!

The only sweetener I consume is local raw honey, but then I live in a country where you can find a great variety of very fresh and tasty raw honey (my favourite is pure thyme honey but unfortunately this is VERY expensive )
Old 04-02-2010, 12:19 AM

I am not such a big fan of Agave I have heard of this plant that supposedly can be used as a sweetener.

Worlds Best Mom
Old 04-02-2010, 12:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet2 View Post
Actually there seems to be a lot of misinformation and I think some agave companies are better than others.

I read this info on Elana's Pantry about agave and which brand she uses--she links to a rebuttal on some of the anti-agave info. Then I went to the company website she recommends and learned they don't process their agave and so we're trying some.

V
Thanks for posting this...I am enjoying reading both sides of the debate.
Old 04-02-2010, 03:31 AM

The madhava nectar is the one we like best. I haven't used it recently after reading into the matter a bit more. We just switched back to cane sugar (demerera [sp??]) and maple syrup instead.

joy.gif
Old 04-07-2010, 04:24 PM

Glad you posted about this. I just, on a whim, picked up some agave at the grocery store. I've never bought it before but I thought I'd try it in iced tea and maybe when I bake. I don't really sweeten anything normally. Now I want to read up some more on it before I use it.

What are the cons to using this over regular sugar? Or are they mostly cons to using agave instead of raw honey or no sweetener at all?

I just starting down a path of trying to overcome a fierce sugar addiction so I can use all the info I can get my paws on!!!
Old 04-08-2010, 10:38 AM

Wow-- This is the first I've heard about this! I had no idea. I'll have to look into it some more, but I'm not a huge agave fan anyways.

Married to my sweetie and enjoying life with our fabulous dog.  Expecting #1 in August 2012!!!!

Old 04-09-2010, 03:00 PM

I think the reason Mercola says it's so bad is that it has a higher percentage of fructose than HFCS and that fructose is really bad for you...some research from the mainstream just came out, too, saying how fructose can damage your liver.

I don't know. I'm undecided about it all!

User Tag List