Need advice ... gluten free...challenge during pregnancy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-04-2010, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
At the end of January/beginning of February I started going gluten free. I cut out everything but oats. By the beginning of March I had even cut out oats and was grain free completely. Then a few weeks later I got pregnant. I'm probably 6 weeks pg now (will find out this week at the u/s ... my cycle was really crazy this time because of a sickness). Last week I added oats back in for variety. I haven't had wheat (which I used to eat constantly ... it was in just about every meal!) for about 2 months. I would love to add that back in. I'm sort of regretting doing the gluten-free because now I'm paranoid that I'll have a bad reaction. The reason I went GF to begin with: I'm hypothyroid and had heard celiac could be related to hypothyroid; I suffer from food intolerances/allergies ... salicylate and histamine intolerance and had heard that going gluten free could "cure" it. The only thing I noticed that got better when I cut out my whole wheat products was much less gas and bloating -- no other changes -- and I thought it was from the lack of fiber in my current diet. Now, I would love enjoy some fresh baked bread or whole-wheat pasta but am afraid that I'll either react badly or even if I don't -- could I hurt the baby by doing a challenge during the first trimester? Part of my problem is I'm allergic to rice and corn -- so most gluten-free products are out. I can't eat pizza, spaghetti, muffins, etc. My carbs are basically potatoes and beans/lentils.

Any suggestions? MODS please move if this is the wrong forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2010, 12:10 AM

quinoa is a great gluten free grain! I just discovered this website and they have a lot of wonderful GF and allergy-friendly meals.

I'm avoiding the Top Eight right now for my nursling - she's not as bad as her sister was, but she is definitely starting to show some reactions. THere are a lot of great resources on the web for how to eat well (and with great variety and flavor) on pretty much any kind of restrictive diet. Good luck!

High-tech Hippie Mama to Dd1 (9/22/06), Dd2 (2/25/10) and Ds (05/27/2013). I eat Clean, cloth diaper, and spend way too much time online.

Old 04-05-2010, 12:14 AM

Buckwheat is a fantastic gluten-free grain to cook/bake with- you can definitely make muffins with it, or waffles, pancakes, whatever. It has a really sticky, gluten-type texture when you cook with it. It's the best gluten-free grain I've found for baking.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:44 PM

Gluten free is challenging no matter what, but I would stick with it if you have had symptoms.

If you do have celiacs, there is a possibility of blood clots in the placenta, it is an auto-immune reaction that happens when you have celiacs and are consuming gluten.  

I have never been diagnosed with celiacs, but I do get a rash on my neck & chest (not red, more like small bumps & scaly) which doctors say if it goes away when you don't eat gluten, and it comes when you do, then you probably do have it.  That's me.

I have had 7 early miscarriages (wk 4) and 1 miscarriage at wk 9.  My 9 wk defiintely showed blood clotting and no other issues.  So I am really wanting to be careful this time around!  I was eating gluten free to the best of my ability but had small amounts of gluten when dining out.  I am trying to eat paleo now and still having rice tortillas but reconsidering that when I think about how much I would love to stay pregnant this time.

The best resource I could recommend is The Paleo Solution by Robb Wolf.  It has recipes that are gluten free and has great information on what happens in our bodies when we consume any grains.

Good luck!

Old 05-05-2012, 11:05 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

My 3 year old is gluten free and I LOVE the diet. 

http://www.elanaspantry.com/ for tons of great recipes using almond and coconut flours.

http://spiceandmore.wordpress.com/2009/08/17/an-exciting-discovery/ for mung bean tortillas. My kids love these.

http://freshpastarecipe.net/gluten-free-fresh-pasta-recipe for making fresh pasta out of millet. I substituted 1 tablespoon of potato flour (not potato starch, potato FLOUR) for 1 tsp of the gum. Then I increased to two whole eggs and one tablespoon avocado oil (I don't cook with olive oil.) Make sure you cover the dough in the bowl while you're working with this as it dries out really fast. And roll it as thin as possible. Then roll it some more.

Google millet pizza crust.

I make crepes out of millet. I just use a regular crepe recipe and substitute millet flour for regular flour. You can also use potato starch, but since it's not a whole grain I don't do it very often.

I recently bought this book. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0977611140/ref=wms_ohs_product I haven't had a chance to read it closely, but what little I've looked at has been great.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:46 PM

I have to add that I am GF and DF. When I got pregnant I was good for the first couple weeks and then got MS greensad.gif All I wanted was carbs. Buying a ton of GF carbs (cereal bars, muffins, bread, etc..) nearly broke us! So I started eating wheat again. I'm sorry I did... I was fine for a while, but now if I have any wheat or dairy I get the worst stomach ache for days! The other night we went out for DH's birthday. I got the hailbut with a truffle vinaigrette. When it came out the truffle vinaigrette was a cream sauce! I should have sent it back, but ate it anyways... I've been paying the price ever since. Long story short - I would stay GF. I don't think you will hurt your baby if you eat wheat, but you may be sorry if you get really bloated or gassy!

Wifey to my DH 9/2005 and always busy SAHM  to my beautiful boys  twins.gif   Elijah 12/2008 and Caeleb 6/2010
Our baby girl  stork-girl.gif is arriving October 2012!!!

Old 05-09-2012, 08:47 PM

I have to add that I am GF and DF. When I got pregnant I was good for the first couple weeks and then got MS greensad.gif All I wanted was carbs. Buying a ton of GF carbs (cereal bars, muffins, bread, etc..) nearly broke us! So I started eating wheat again. I'm sorry I did... I was fine for a while, but now if I have any wheat or dairy I get the worst stomach ache for days! The other night we went out for DH's birthday. I got the hailbut with a truffle vinaigrette. When it came out the truffle vinaigrette was a cream sauce! I should have sent it back, but ate it anyways... I've been paying the price ever since. Long story short - I would stay GF. I don't think you will hurt your baby if you eat wheat, but you may be sorry if you get really bloated or gassy!

Wifey to my DH 9/2005 and always busy SAHM  to my beautiful boys  twins.gif   Elijah 12/2008 and Caeleb 6/2010
Our baby girl  stork-girl.gif is arriving October 2012!!!

User Tag List