eating and skin sun care - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 04-07-2010, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
question: is there anything that I can put into our diets that will help our skin handle the sun? like more of a certain vit? or adding certain oils to our meals? thanks!
#2 of 5 Old 04-07-2010, 03:28 PM

There are some studies out there that show an increasing amount of time to sunburn when people supplement with omega-3 fatty acids.

I've seen discussion on the topic, it seems like it's a balance issue between omega-6s and omega-3s, so reducing omega-6s and increasing omega-3s may help--never seen a study that specifically reduces omega-6s.

Anecdotally, people in TF have had improvements either by increasing saturated fat, I think the side effect is decreasing polyunsaturated fat (omega-6 is a polyunsaturated fat), or some add coconut oil. There's a thread on that if you Search for it.

I didn't supp omega-3s, and it took a while for me to see a change--I did the more saturated fat, less polyunsaturated route, but I can be out a lot longer than I used to be able to be able to.

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/search?q=sunburn

There's discussion here, some studies are linked, and some of the Comments may be of interest.
#3 of 5 Old 04-07-2010, 03:53 PM

I've read that taking lots of vitamin C can help prevent sunburns. I'm very fair skinned and tend to burn less when I'm taking a C supp.

ETA: tanyalynn, that's a great article. Thanks!

Wife to Bri, mom to G (8), R (6), I (5). Expecting #4 - 8.16.11
#4 of 5 Old 04-07-2010, 06:31 PM
AJP

I definitely burn less easily and heal faster from sunburn since increasing saturated fat in my diet from sources like pasture-raised meat and dairy, free-range eggs, and small amounts of coconut oil, and reducing polyunsaturated fats. I noticed a difference within one year of making that diet change (about 8 years ago). I don't supplement omega-3s now, but I did for a while (cod liver oil) - the greater resistance to burning hasn't gone away after stopping the supps.

There is no secret ingredient.
#5 of 5 Old 04-07-2010, 08:31 PM

I was always either red or white, but now I tan. I started supplementing Vitamin D (I was low), started eating coconut oil/milk (because we went off dairy and a bunch of other foods). So I don't know which it was, but something helped!

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page