101 most nourishing foods while ttc/pregnant/nursing - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-01-2010, 04:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan'sMom View Post
Try to get fish roe? (have never tried it because of ick factor and not knowing a good source)
If you do find a good source try to prepare the Greek spread/dip taramosalata, it is really delicious. I'm sure that if you google it you'd come up with lots of recipes. It is made either with mashed potato or bread.

I do not have a recipe to give you as I always buy it ready-made from a gourmet deli that uses quality ingredients. There they make it with traditional sourdough bread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2010, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingercat View Post
If you do find a good source try to prepare the Greek spread/dip taramosalata, it is really delicious. I'm sure that if you google it you'd come up with lots of recipes. It is made either with mashed potato or bread.

I do not have a recipe to give you as I always buy it ready-made from a gourmet deli that uses quality ingredients. There they make it with traditional sourdough bread.
Cool idea, thank you!!!
Old 05-13-2010, 10:30 PM

*bump*

I love this thread and would looove more ideas! I just found out that I'm pregnant and want to have the healthiest pregnancy possible!

Wendy (26), married to my sweetheart since 2007. Mommy to Caroline, born Boxing Day 2010 by beautiful home water birth h20homebirth.gif  intactlact.gif

Old 05-14-2010, 02:27 PM

Can I bring up a very healthy food that most people don't often know about/eat?

Mackerel

It has about twice the Omega 3s of salmon and sardines, and TONS of vitamin D (not to mention other vitamins and calcium, etc). I think they are actually higher in these nutrients than sardines, too. But be sure to only eat Atlantic mackerel (small, quick-maturing, and very low in mercury). This is the kind that's usually sold in cans, and is usually found whole as "Boston" or "Norway" mackerel. (Don't eat spanish or king mackerel).

It's also delicious eaten Japanese-style (filets broiled with a little daikon and soy sauce) or Italian-style (flaked into pasta). Or heck, just eat the canned stuff like you would eat tuna.

I am seriously addicted to it and eat it twice a week. Since I can't stand sardines, and only wild salmon tastes good to me (but is $$$), it's a good thing!

Second all the ladies loving kimchi and sauerkraut. <3 them!
Old 06-01-2010, 04:19 AM

As you said it is very important that depending on the type of mackerel it is, as some types are listed as a very high mercury fish!!

do you know what kind of mackerel is used in japanese nirgiri sushi "saba"?

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

Old 06-01-2010, 04:45 AM

Location: back in the GREAT state of Minnesota! oh how i have missed you!

Your life doesnât change by the man whos elected. If your loved by someone you can't be rejected... decide what to be and go be it! If your a caged bird brake in and demand that somebody free it.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:43 PM

bump'n

Jenni Wife to Jason and Mommy to Enza 9/08 energy.gifand Grayson 1/11 h20homebirth.gif   novaxnocirc.gif lactivist.gif

Old 06-08-2010, 06:03 PM

I'm furiously taking notes here. I knew about several of these, but am glad to bolster my nutritional arsenal. With DS1, I got lazy with hydration and nutrition after a year of nursing and ended up with kidney stones and candida. Believe me, lesson learned. This stuff is important. Thanks everyone

Sarah, WAHM and partner to incredible DH, mama to DS (10/08) and DS (6/10). Missing baby boy lost at 13 wks 12/19/12. angel2.gif

Old 07-02-2010, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
I've pondered this all day. The halide and mercury displacement from the thyroid could be the issue. I'm not keen on iodine supplementation for this reason (along with my whole foods bent). But, kelp sops up (absorbs and binds) heavy metals. But, kelp has "negligible" measured iodine, compared to iodine supplementation and most people tolerate a small amount of iodine (supplement) directly, even. I tolerated a tablespoon of kelp straight up; and I know I have messed up metals/thyroid/halide issues. So, I'm wondering what else is happening.

I wonder if the iodine in natural kelp is more bio-available in a manner we are not aware yet. JaneS. is concerned about bromines/bromides in kelp. And was your kelp heavy metal tested? Arsenic is the concern, which is a whole 'nuther toxin thread. (Chicken breasts have arsenic also.)
I *just* saw this. The kelp I used was Maine Coast Sea Vegetables, which according to their testing and purity info, has <3.00 ppm of inorganic arsenic...

I still use it in cooking, and sprinkle it on most foods, but just don't take it in excess. It's something I'll work out in time. Still nursing, and thinking about TTC, so very glad you bumped this!

Lauren, wife to my dear and mama to amazing River
I traditional foods
Old 07-03-2010, 07:30 AM

These are great...

- Whey Protein Smoothies.
I love to add greens/juice, some pineapple, whey protein, matcha green tea, and coconut oil to the smoothie. Yummy!

Foods I avoid:
MSG
HFCS
caffeine
Soy
All GMO foods

Melissa, Mommy to A (12), H (10), M (6), My identical twin boys B&L who were homebirthed (4) and our newest addition (L) (5 weeks) - - homebirth.jpg novaxnocirc.gif homeschool.gif goorganic.jpg

Old 07-11-2010, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

Check out this comprehensive thread in Traditional Foods!

Superfoods? Additional stuff for TTC? My Plan.

Pat

I have a blog.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:10 AM

Smoked oysters-1 can has 75mg zinc, selenium, B12, iron, and omega 3s

Papaya-Vitamin C (188mg/cup!), folate, potassium, fiber, papain is a natural digestive aid.

We create our own reality.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:27 PM

This thread is awesome! Thank you!

Old 08-02-2010, 06:23 AM

subbing

Wife to DH(10/02) Mom to DD1('03), angel1.gif('04), DS1('05), DD2('07), DS2('08), DD3('10) angel1.gif(08/11), angel1.gif (09/11). We follow Jesus, praying.gif, quiverful, homeschool.gif,cd.gif ,winner.jpg,familybed1.gif,femalesling.GIF, and we are a food allergic family.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:16 PM

A few questions:

You listed celtic sea salt. In my cupboard right now I have Real Salt brand pink salt because it is much cheaper. Is that ok or is the celtic really better?

I have been taking lugol's iodine solution because of the arsenic concerns with kelp. Should I take kelp instead or is lugols's ok?

Last, Do I really need to take CLO and eat liver? I'm think of just taking the CLO but would I be missing something?

Thank you so much! This tread is really helpful and comes at the perfect time.

Old 10-18-2010, 10:21 AM

Subbing. Great thread!

Married to DH partners.gif since 2007. Mommy to babyboy.gif 7/2011.  We bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif.

Old 11-20-2010, 06:29 PM

lurk.gif

Old 11-20-2010, 08:20 PM

Oh I love this thread!

My list is:

green smoothies - always with spinach or kale and a banana (a banana a day can keep blood pressure in check), hemp oil, frozen blueberries or nectarines, ground flax seed and a pinch of pro-biotic powder

kimchi  or saukraut (fermented saurkraut)

animal based broth (usually beef)

beans or lentils cooked with kombu

Himalayan sea salt in water - so very good for you!

butter

local eggs from pasture raised chickens in the spring/summer/fall - barn raised in the winter because its too cold here

I also take a prenatal vitamin, B complex, D, flax seed oil and co enzyme Q10 daily as well as EmergenC a couple times a week and as many Epsom salt baths as I can get in!

My avoid list:

red raspberry leaf as im a high risk pregnancy and there are mixer studies on it - some say its amazing and others say it can cause miscarriages.

cooked or raw tuna - I eat sushi all time, pregnant or not (doctor said it was a-ok) but I try to avoid tuna because its so high in mercury

caffeine

WuWei, how do you make kefir? can you make it with goat milk? ive been thinking about ordering some kefir with our next organic delivery...

Serena - married to Jason, mom to Sebastian (b.12.22.2008) and Poppy (b.07.07.2011) ♥

Old 12-14-2010, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

There is water kefir which is dairy-free and dairy kefir.

Pat

I have a blog.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:44 PM

When it comes to your recommendation of a green smoothie daily, curious about those with thyroid issues.  Ive read so much about goitrogens in the greens that can suppress thyroid function, which is especially bad for those with hypothyroid to begin with.  I know that the potency of the goitrogens is reduced when cooking, but all of these greens are raw in smoothies.  Would love your thoughts! Thanks,

Deena

Old 02-20-2012, 01:11 PM

This is what I was looking for. Thanks! Do you find animal products to be pertinent? Do you take any multivitamins or supplements? If I needed to add just 1 animal product, what do you find most important?
Old 02-21-2012, 01:21 PM

great post!

I try to make sure I have the following daily:

1 cup almond milk

oatmeal

banana

juiced up:

1 c spinach
3 carrots

1 orange

1 apple

fish oil capsules

pre-natal vitamin

and I try to drink a nursing moms tea when I can

-The Craftaholic
http://www.thecraftaholic.com

--------------------------------------------------------
“Let the beauty of what you love be what you do.”
Jalal ad-Din Rumi

Old 02-24-2012, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Deena,

Foods are "goitrogenic" in the absence of adequate iodine intake. I prefer to focus on adding iodine rich foods and avoiding xenoestrogens.

More about "goitrogens" from World's Healthiest Foods:
http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=george&dbid=47
http://whfoods.org/genpage.php?tname=george&dbid=250

Thus including sea vegetables is a nutrient-dense food. Sea veggies have (varying amounts of) iodine (and many other minerals and vitamins!). http://whfoods.org/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=135

Ideally, 'heavy metal tested' sea veggies. Avoid hijiki as a sea vegetable unless available in the form of certified organic hijiki, due to arsenic concerns.

More iodine-rich foods: http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=nutrient&dbid=69

I have purchased kelp from Vitacost.com and Mountain Rose Herbs. I expect iHerb has kelp also. I've also purchased some locally from Earthfare, but it is MUCH more expensive than ordering online.

Pat

I have a blog.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

I am not keen on taking vitamins and supplements (except cod liver oil, occasionally).  I drink nettle infusions for nutrients.  The most important thing is food sources of folate: beans, greens, liver and legumes. I don't supplement synthetic folic acid.  REAL folate is much better than folic acid

I believe liver is a very nutrient dense food. Bone broth, butter, cold-water fatty fish also important for healthy fats and nutrients.

Pat

I have a blog.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:56 PM

Thank you everyone! What an awesome thread. I am just started to think about diet and nutrients for this baby. To be honest, I grew up in a "normal" American house with spaghetti and frozen spinach. Now I am so eager to learn how to "nourish" myself (and my growing babes, one out, one in) in the best way possible.

Old 06-29-2013, 06:01 PM

Green smoothies are great during pregnancy :) I have recipes on my blog http://homemomsandhealth.blogspot.com/ as well as healthy living ideas you guys can take a look at. Its just started so I'm updating it regularly. Here is a green smoothie I just updated. It tastes so good and my kids love it too :) Hope you enjoy 

1/2 Cup Frozen Raspberries
1/2 Cup Frozen Blueberries 
4 Frozen Strawberries
1/2 Cup Baby Carrots
1/3 Cup of Spinach
1/3 Cup parsley
1/10 of a Cucumber
1/2 Apple
1/2 cup water
Agave nectar to taste 

Optional:  Acidophilus, Flax seed oil, Aloe juice
Old 09-17-2013, 10:15 AM

I agree with WuWei, and don't like taking vitamins and supplements (and especially not medications). I like to nourish myself and my family from food itself. But when it comes to iodine, I do take it in supplement form for one reason- iodine doesn't naturally occur on our side of the globe, therefor is not present in the food we eat. To make things worse, the commercial-available food that has "added iodine" is also full of GMOs and other synthetics. I only buy organic and follow a strict diet, so I am careful and picky when it comes to what supplements I purchase. For iodine supplementation I have found that a nascent iodine called Detoxadine, made by a company in Houston, TX, follows strict measures when formulating their products. It's the only supplement I buy from them, but I am sure they all work as well as Detoxadine for its purpose.

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating , Breastfeeding
User Tag List