101 most nourishing foods while ttc/pregnant/nursing - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 57 Old 04-09-2010, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Which foods do you feel are the most important nutrient-dense foods to consume while ttc/pregnant/nursing? Which to avoid?

homemade bone broth every. single. day. 1cup (MANY nutrients needed, plus minerals)
homemade milk kefir every. single. day. 1 cup (gradually work up) (B vits, enzymes, most probiotics in proper ph)

green smoothie every. single. day. day 2 cups (any fruit + any dark leafy greens, rotate produce. tons of vit, minerals, enzymes)
liver one ounce, only three times a week. (B-vits, iron)

coconut oil 1 Tbls every. single. day. (medium chain fatty acids, kills candida in the large intestine)
fermented CLO, every. single day. (most expensive item) (vit A, D, K, EFAs)
Bubbies sauerkraut 1 Tbls. every. single. day. (or other raw, fermented food) (probiotics, improves stomach acid)
Brazil nuts 1 ONLY, every. single. day. (selenium)

Celtic Sea Salt a pinch in every glass of water, broth. (microminerals)
Lemon juice, fresh squeezed, 1 tsp. in every glass of water or smoothie. (alkalizing to body ph, paradoxically)
Raw local honey, 1 Tbls at bedtime. (helps bifidum bacteria to grow in the gut)
Egg yolk, 1 per day. (if not IgE)

Lentils
, 1 cup per day. (folate, molybdenum)
Red Raspberry Leaf Infusions, 1 cup per day.
Nettle Leaf Infusions, 1 cup per day. (Vitamins A, C, D and K, calcium, potassium, phosphorous, iron and sulphur)
Wild Alaskan Salmon, 4 oz, three times a week.
Kelp, 1 tablespoon, organic, heavy metal tested.

Epsom salt baths for the sulfate.

http://www.herbshealing.com/Article_...y_Problems.htm
http://www.naturalbloom.com/articles...php?article=37

Pat

I have a blog.
#2 of 57 Old 04-09-2010, 09:36 PM

My list is similar--

Long (24-72 hour) simmered beef bone broth
HVCLO
Chicken liver pate
Kerrygold butter
Greens (dandelion/kale/collards/lettuces)

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#3 of 57 Old 04-09-2010, 10:50 PM

Oh Pat I can't tell you how happy this thread makes me

I would add quality ghee to the above and perhaps roe once in awhile since it's pricy
sardines
coconut milk
Not food but Lots of sunshine

As for foods to avoid
Gluten and eggs for me. Although I'm not Ige to eggs so does that mean I should still have an egg a day???

Maybe cut out dairy but I love my raw milk and homemade yogurt(although someone else makes it for me) I have to trial dairy but I keep procrastinating.
#4 of 57 Old 04-09-2010, 11:18 PM

those sound great.
also (like a pp):
plenty of grassfed butter
plenty of grassfed raw milk (or at the very least grass-fed non homogenized if you can't get raw)
roe
CLO with BO

I'm curious, why 1 brazil nut? also I feel that stressing too much over eating all your nutrients on a daily basis isn't worth it, and looking at say, a weekly basis is better.

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
#5 of 57 Old 04-09-2010, 11:35 PM

This is a great list, and definitely something for me to work towards. Thanks for sharing.
#6 of 57 Old 04-09-2010, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magelet View Post
I'm curious, why 1 brazil nut? also I feel that stressing too much over eating all your nutrients on a daily basis isn't worth it, and looking at say, a weekly basis is better.
Brazil nut=selenium Agreed totally stressing over it is not worth it, advice to remember because I will stress over it!
#7 of 57 Old 04-10-2010, 08:06 AM

subbing!
#8 of 57 Old 04-10-2010, 09:16 AM

Thanks for posting this! I'm a nursing mom and while I tried really hard to eat well while pregnant, I have really slacked off since the baby was born. It's a good reminder that my increased dietary needs still exist! I haven't had red raspberry leaf tea in ages!
#9 of 57 Old 04-10-2010, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
Brazil nuts 1 ONLY, every. single. day. (selenium)
I wonder, why ONLY one brazil nut? Is there any harm in eating more? I eat 2 a day (along with my organic apple and my whey protein smoothie) but I also enjoy a daily handful of raw almonds, some raw cashews and a teaspoon of peanut butter.

I too struggle with my rasberry leaf and nettle tea (I have an organic pregnancy blend that also contains dandelion root, oatstraw, alfalfa and rosehips) as I'm not a fan of herbal teas at all

To the above list I'd just add a glass of unsweetened cranberry juice; it helps preventing UTIs and yeast infections, two very common pregnancy ailments.
#10 of 57 Old 04-10-2010, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastlemama View Post
Kerrygold butter

I've noticed that the Kerrygold butter (the Irish one, correct?) is frequently mentioned in American blogs and forums, but I have always wondered why! Is the American butter really so terrible that Kerrygold butter is such a good option for you?

Kerrygold butter is found pretty much everywhere here in Europe (yes, it is very commercial) and it is often the butter of choice used in baking. But I do not consider it that good as it is pasteurised and it does not come from organic pasture land. One can find way better choices than Kerrygold when it comes to butter and cheese.

Personally I'm not a butter/dairy fan, I stick to my CO and nut butters for cooking/baking/snacking so maybe I'm missing something here...
#11 of 57 Old 04-10-2010, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingercat View Post
I wonder, why ONLY one brazil nut? Is there any harm in eating more? I eat 2 a day (along with my organic apple and my whey protein smoothie) but I also enjoy a daily handful of raw almonds, some raw cashews and a teaspoon of peanut butter.

I too struggle with my rasberry leaf and nettle tea (I have an organic pregnancy blend that also contains dandelion root, oatstraw, alfalfa and rosehips) as I'm not a fan of herbal teas at all

To the above list I'd just add a glass of unsweetened cranberry juice; it helps preventing UTIs and yeast infections, two very common pregnancy ailments.
Selenium is one of things you want to make sure you don't get to much of. I'm sure 2 a day is just fine tho. What about some raw honey in your tea, have you tried that?
#12 of 57 Old 04-10-2010, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Kelp, 1 tablespoon, organic, heavy metal tested.
Pat, would you use caution starting this (esp if pregnant or nursing at the time)?

I've tried starting this (very slowly--w/ a 1/2 tsp or less a day) multiple times but backed off b/c of the headaches/detox reactions I was having which I thought might be due to bromine (or is it bromide?) release...(I was also supping mag, vit c, etc at the time to support detox pathways.)

I plan to follow through w/ it when I'm done nursing, but just really don't want to dump anything into ds right now...

Lauren, wife to my dear and mama to amazing River
I traditional foods
#13 of 57 Old 04-10-2010, 01:49 PM

I'm sure it's not all-inclusive, but a few for me for if/when this becomes an issue...

liver, beef and chicken -- not sure I'd limit beef liver to 3 oz/wk, I think 1/2 pound a week seems very reasonable, rocking source of so many vitamins and minerals, and as much chicken liver as seems tasty.

fat to taste, from whatever source works (for me, animal sources and coconut for the most part)

mom61508--if you think eggs are doing something funky, something that a regular food is not supposed to be doing, I'd avoid them. I'm not IgE to either gluten or dairy, but they mess with me. Eggs are one of the easiest animal products to find a really high quality source for, and I love them for us, love them for their cholesterol, their minerals, their vitamins, their flexibility in all sorts of dishes, their sheer yumminess. But if they do something funky to you, I'd skip 'em.

sardines and wild salmon -- I've been avoiding anything from the ocean for a long time, but I think for most people, and me now that I'm on getting to the healthy side, they've just got a lot of nutrients, esp with the bones, so if you're careful about understanding the source, then yeah, good.

lentils (French green ones are yummy, not lentil-y) and black beans -- nutritious, folate-rich, good amounts of other minerals, and since I'm not keen on grains, it's carb-y which in moderation I think is fine for me

broccoli, baby bok choy, beets, celery, carrots, sweet potatoes -- probably lots more green stuff, I just haven't cultivated a love for kale or collards yet ... considering a juicer for beet/carrot/celery juice

I love homemade kimchee rather than sauerkraut, the carrots and green onions and garlic and ginger are just so yummy.

And herbal infusions are tastier than I expected (I add some peppermint to improve the aroma) -- nettles, oatstraw, red clover, I think RRL is often saved til a bit later in pregnancy but I have only skimmed the really long RRL thread in the Pregnancy section. The thread in H&H on herbal infusions was helpful to me.

On the avoid list: gluten and dairy -- maybe some dairy will be okay for me at some point, but gluten does some weird stuff and I think it's going to take a long time before my body could consider that just a food like any other--and nutritionally, it's not impressive.
#14 of 57 Old 04-10-2010, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyRae View Post
Pat, would you use caution starting this (esp if pregnant or nursing at the time)?

I've tried starting this (very slowly--w/ a 1/2 tsp or less a day) multiple times but backed off b/c of the headaches/detox reactions I was having which I thought might be due to bromine (or is it bromide?) release...(I was also supping mag, vit c, etc at the time to support detox pathways.)

I plan to follow through w/ it when I'm done nursing, but just really don't want to dump anything into ds right now...
I've pondered this all day. The halide and mercury displacement from the thyroid could be the issue. I'm not keen on iodine supplementation for this reason (along with my whole foods bent). But, kelp sops up (absorbs and binds) heavy metals. But, kelp has "negligible" measured iodine, compared to iodine supplementation and most people tolerate a small amount of iodine (supplement) directly, even. I tolerated a tablespoon of kelp straight up; and I know I have messed up metals/thyroid/halide issues. So, I'm wondering what else is happening.

I wonder if the iodine in natural kelp is more bio-available in a manner we are not aware yet. JaneS. is concerned about bromines/bromides in kelp. And was your kelp heavy metal tested? Arsenic is the concern, which is a whole 'nuther toxin thread. (Chicken breasts have arsenic also.)

I also take selenium as Brazil nuts (I take two a day). Selenium is HUGE in binding excess mercury for safe excretion. Chloride helps with detoxing the halides. (sodium chloride or potassium chloride). Getting enough sea salt? We are naturally detoxing every. single. day. I'm comfortable with natural forms of whole nutrients which support natural detox pathways, even while ttc, pregnant, nursing. I'm not keen on synthetic or mega-dosing supplements during those times as imbalances could easily unfold, imo. We each choose our own comfort with the alternative routes to optimizing nutrition.

There are many nutrients necessary to effectively detoxify naturally, gently and safely, slowly. Magnesium and vit C are huge. But, so is folate, B6, B12, Sulfate, glutathione, molybdenum, selenium...

I totally trust you to listen to your body as the expert of you, rather than me/us/website abc.

Pat

I have a blog.
#15 of 57 Old 04-10-2010, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingercat View Post

I've noticed that the Kerrygold butter (the Irish one, correct?) is frequently mentioned in American blogs and forums, but I have always wondered why! Is the American butter really so terrible that Kerrygold butter is such a good option for you?

Kerrygold butter is found pretty much everywhere here in Europe (yes, it is very commercial) and it is often the butter of choice used in baking. But I do not consider it that good as it is pasteurised and it does not come from organic pasture land. One can find way better choices than Kerrygold when it comes to butter and cheese.

Personally I'm not a butter/dairy fan, I stick to my CO and nut butters for cooking/baking/snacking so maybe I'm missing something here...
It is a higher quality butter that I can get at a reasonable price (I can't afford the raw butter here).

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#16 of 57 Old 04-10-2010, 07:37 PM

subbing to read later.
#17 of 57 Old 04-11-2010, 04:07 PM

great list of healthful and nutrient rich foods. I personally do not like the taste of red raspberry herbal tea, but I do drink other herbal teas and green tea.

"If you truly love nature, you will find beauty everywhere." -Vincent Van Gogh
#18 of 57 Old 04-11-2010, 04:45 PM
AJP

Kerrygold is one of the few grassfed butters available widely in the US, and raw butter isn't widely available or affordable in most areas here. Some widely-distributed organic brands of pasteurized butter are grassfed, but it's inconsistent. As Ireland is the land of grass and most of their herds are still kept on pasture year-round, it's considered by many here to be a reliable source of the fat-soluble nutrients in grassfed butter. It also tastes a lot better, IMO, than most store-bought butter.

There is no secret ingredient.
#19 of 57 Old 04-11-2010, 06:11 PM

What does RRL tea do for ttc/nursing? I thought it was just for uterine toning for labor and I stopped drinking it after I gave birth. But I have some left (I'm 5 weeks pp and breastfeeding) - should I drink it?

cruelty-free, beastie-full!
#20 of 57 Old 04-12-2010, 04:25 AM

subbing

Wife to Bri, mom to G (8), R (6), I (5). Expecting #4 - 8.16.11
#21 of 57 Old 04-12-2010, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayward View Post
What does RRL tea do for ttc/nursing? I thought it was just for uterine toning for labor and I stopped drinking it after I gave birth. But I have some left (I'm 5 weeks pp and breastfeeding) - should I drink it?
Susun Weed's the most knowledgeable about herbal infusions. http://www.herbshealing.com/Article_...y_Problems.htm

Pat

I have a blog.
#22 of 57 Old 04-12-2010, 02:48 PM

I would say these same things even if I was pregnant/nursing because they are very good sources of the vitamins/minerals etc I have listed.....

-Fresh Orange Juice -folic acid, inositol, vit C, calcium, potassium, antioxidants.

-Pumpkin Seeds -magnesium, iron, zinc, phosphorus, amino acids, omega 3,6,9's.

-Potatoes -magnesium, zinc, calcium, potassium, choline, chromium, amino acids

-Bananas -inositol, vit C, magnesium, potassium, melatonin, amino acids, beta carotene.

-Carrots -inositol, beta carotene, vit K, vit E, sodium, antioxidants.

-Tomatoes -boron, chromium, silica, potassium, manganese, carotenoids, lycopene, chloride, collagen, selenium, vit E, antioxidants, vit K, vit C, beta carotene, coenzyme q10, copper.

-Spinach -iodine, collagen, coenzyme q10, vit E, lutein, sodium.

-Raisins - boron, managanese.

-Onions -feeds healthy bacteria, cysteine, silica, selenium, chromium, melatonin, amino acids, antioxidants, flavoniods.

-Flax Seeds/Oil -alpha linolenic acid-omega oils, silica.

-Meats -iron, selenium, amino acids, sodium.

-Salmon, Tuna, Cod, Sardines -vit D, coenzyme q10, omega 3 oils.

-Green tea, hawthorn tea, nettle tea, camomile tea, red raspberry leaf tea, lemon tea -antioxidants and other benefits.

I find the above foods pretty easy to include in my meals or snacks.

Mom    wash.gif  bikenew.gifgeek.gifdishes.gif

#23 of 57 Old 04-12-2010, 11:08 PM - Thread Starter

I love these lists! Very helpful for mamas.

Pat

I have a blog.
#24 of 57 Old 04-13-2010, 01:31 AM

Red Raspberry Leaf tea seems to taste better cold (like iced tea). Figured that out when I was really sick of drinking it at the end of my pregnancy.

Awesome thread Pat

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#25 of 57 Old 04-13-2010, 11:12 AM

Awesome thread!
I am taking notes.
I hope to conceive soon, and have been drinking herbal infusions for a while (oatstraw is my favorite, because it's so mild and almost sweet tasting. I'm trying to do more nettle, though).

I have been using coconut oil for a few months in cooking, and we have been on raw milk & butter for about a year. I have very recently starting eating meat after being a vegetarian for 15 years, and I'm taking it pretty slow, but do hope to work my way up to drinking bone broths and eating liver!

I haven't seen anyone mention yogurt on here (or did I miss it?)-- is there a reason? I've been trying to eat that daily, but is Kefir preferable?

Married to my sweetie and enjoying life with our fabulous dog.  Expecting #1 in August 2012!!!!

#26 of 57 Old 04-21-2010, 08:14 PM

bump

Wife to Bri, mom to G (8), R (6), I (5). Expecting #4 - 8.16.11
#27 of 57 Old 04-21-2010, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeruby View Post
I haven't seen anyone mention yogurt on here (or did I miss it?)-- is there a reason? I've been trying to eat that daily, but is Kefir preferable?
Kefir has more bacterial and yeast strains, and my understanding is that it colonizes the gut better than yogurt--it does a better job changing the environment of the gut to one that overall supports a good bacterial and yeast mix.

That said--we're dairy free, it just doesn't agree with us, and kimchee (others would prefer sauerkraut or other fermented vegetables) does a nice job normalizing my daughter's digestion. And wow, it's yummy--shredded napa cabbage, carrots, green onions, a little daikon radish, garlic, ginger, as spicy or as mild as you like.. yeah, I really do like it. But yogurt's better than no fermented food, homemade if you can.
#28 of 57 Old 04-21-2010, 09:30 PM

Quote:
but do hope to work my way up to drinking bone broths ...
Is that just the idea of it? Because taste-wise, it's mild and easy to hide (mashed potatoes, homemade soup, braising liquid for veggies), you don't have to just drink it plain. Chicken stock's yummier than beef, I admit, I don't hide chicken stock, while I do hide beef stock. But if it's the idea, that's trickier.
#29 of 57 Old 05-01-2010, 09:25 AM

Really cool thread!

I noticed no one added high vitamin butter oil and I'd love to hear more about this. I currently am taking it but I wonder if it's causing my nursling to have issues. We've been on and off dairy for a while, just did a month totally dairy free (even no HVBO) and now raw goat milk which was fine for us both last summer seems to keep her waking at night and gives me a scratchy throat. I am currently kefiring some (had let my grains die last fall when the goat milk source ran out) and hoping that lets us consume it. WWYD if no dairy? More broth plus water kefir? Try to get fish roe? (have never tried it because of ick factor and not knowing a good source)

Those of you who are eating fish--where do you get it? I get Trader Joe's wild-caught Alaskan Salmon but I am always a bit suspicious of it....

Do you guys think fruit is very important? I prefer fruit-free right now (per my body). Fruit doesn't make me ill or anything, just gravitating to blended salads right now instead of green smoothies.

Thanks!
#30 of 57 Old 05-01-2010, 09:30 AM

Quote:
but do hope to work my way up to drinking bone broths and eating liver!
Bone broths taste good to me with the fat skimmed off and with LOTS of sea salt and I've heard Herbamare helps too. Also you can "hide" it in soups, for cooking rice, etc.

As for liver, I struggle with it too. I swallow frozen "pills" but may buy freeze-dried from Dr. Ron's soon (gag factor). I hid it once successfully in sloppy joes (strong flavor) and unsucessfully in hamburgers (ick)/.

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating , Breastfeeding

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page