Eliminating Chocolate Milk at School Lunch - Need Help - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-13-2010, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
All -

We have been working for 3 long years on our school's "Wellness Committee" to fix the horrendously awful school lunch being served to our kids on a daily basis -- almost entirely processed reheated foods with an ingredient list a mile long.

We have seen a very recent shift in attitude with the administration - and for some reason the principal unilaterally and without warning decided to remove chocolate milk from the lunch room. This has caused major backlash apparently and the principal is now looking to the Wellness Committee to back her up with some info, studies, data, etc. to support her decision.

While removing chocolate milk may not have been the first thing I would have done - I do like the direction this is moving and want to support her.

Please can you provide me with any info, articles, references - anything that could help us? Thanks you so much in advance!

TripMom . . . . . loving mom : to DS (7) and BBG (4.5)
#2 of 6 Old 04-14-2010, 10:06 AM

I recently started watching Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution. He is trying to change the public school food system in Huntington, WV (the unhealthiest city in the US according to statistics). He revealed to the parents that chocolate milk has more sugar per serving than soda! I couldn't believe it when I heard it but I guess there are nutritional labels you could show to the parents? That stuff matters to me but I don't know if all parents care about that.

Proud wife and stay-at-home-mama to my two little munchkins
#3 of 6 Old 04-14-2010, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
well I just looked up nutrition info for chocolate milk, plain lowfat milk, and cola and it doesn't seem to be true that chocolate milk has more sugar than cola. oz for oz it has slightly less sugar, but even saying they are close to equal is a bit unfair, since much of the sugar is the natural lactose in the milk that would be in the plain milk as well. There is definitely a school of thought as well, that drinking chocolate milk is better than drinking no milk. Not that I agree, but I have read this line of reasoning in parenting magazines and it makes sense that if parents believe this than they would be upset that chocolate milk has been eliminated. Also unlike other flavored milks that are filled with artificial colors and flavors, chocolate milk is often just milk with sweetened chocolate. I think making it the first item to eliminate was rash on the principals part because its a move likely to lose parent support rather than gain it for other more important changes.

Jennifer, mama to darling dancing Juliette, and sweet baby Jameson
#4 of 6 Old 04-14-2010, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lelesmama View Post
I recently started watching Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution. He is trying to change the public school food system in Huntington, WV (the unhealthiest city in the US according to statistics). He revealed to the parents that chocolate milk has more sugar per serving than soda! I couldn't believe it when I heard it but I guess there are nutritional labels you could show to the parents? That stuff matters to me but I don't know if all parents care about that.
I was going to mention this too! If you look on TED.com, you can find his 5 or so minute speech that he gave when he won a TED Award, and in that he talks about the amount of sugar kids get from milk (although, he was saying that they put sugar in regular milk, too, not just chocolate milk, to get kids to drink more), and he ends up dumping out a whole wheelbarrow load of sugar to show what our kids are eating each year from their school milk! Maybe if you research his work you can find where he got those stats.

Good luck, and kudos to you for taking this on!!!!

Married to my sweetie and enjoying life with our fabulous dog.  Expecting #1 in August 2012!!!!

#5 of 6 Old 04-14-2010, 11:50 AM

I'm not surprised there was a backlash. I really have no issue with chocolate milk. I think school lunch should offer it honestly. Some kids don't get the opportunity to eat as well as they should and while school lunches aren't perfect, it is better than what some kids get at home.

I guess I'd rather see a kid drink chocolate milk than no milk at all, especially if he doesn't get a good diet at home. My kid eats at school some days and he does choose the chocolate milk. And I don't care. If that was all he ever drank, it would be one thing.
#6 of 6 Old 04-15-2010, 04:38 PM

Most chocolate milks contain high fructose corn syrup. Take away the strawberry milk too!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page