Rice Based Meals - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 04-15-2010, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a ton of long grain white rice.

I need recipes for cheap rice based meals.

Any ideas you can throw at me?
#2 of 9 Old 04-15-2010, 03:19 PM

Stir-fry, broccoli cheesy rice (possibly add chicken), spanish rice (hamburger, sauce, spices, cheese), egg fried rice, italian beans and rice, add the rice to soup, use some chili powder, salsa, etc. and add to a mexican night, curry, rice pilaf with veg and chicken. Could you make it into a rice pudding? How about cooking some up and adding to your freezer to use at a later point?

caffix.gifChristine: Mama to bouncy.gif  DS 04/17/08  *Infant Stroke Survivor*  Always remembering:  brokenheart.gifbrokenheart.gifbrokenheart.gif

Took a 'break' from TTC and look what happened:  2ndtri.gif!!!!    praying.gif  for a healthy, full term baby to be born August 2012!!  Hoping for a vbac.gif!

#3 of 9 Old 04-15-2010, 03:41 PM

Dh bought me a rice cooker which I love , but I don't know many recipes for a rice cooker.

My standby is simple Mexican rice ; pour about 2TBS oil in a skillet on high heat and add about 2 cups of rice..u can add chopped onion, chopped tomatoes, bell pepper ect. after the rice is browned a little ..keep mixing so it doesn't burn. Turn heat to low and chicken broth, half can of tomato paste, cumin, salt, pepper, and garlic..oregano optional. Cover with a lid and don't mess with it until the liquid absorbs..fluff with fork..adjust seasoning to taste.

I will often make bean burritos and layer them over rice in a pyrex dish and then pour a can of Pato sauce over. I sprinkle lots of cheese on top. Put in the oven to melt the cheese. I like to make my own enchilada sauce , but the kids complain it is too hot no matter how much I mild it down.

I am going to try this recipe this week http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2...chicken-curry/
#4 of 9 Old 04-15-2010, 05:03 PM

We use rice as a side all.the.time.

Canned Salmon: Follow the recipe on the can and serve over rice.

Fried Rice: So simple. Lots of great recipes here and online.

Spicy Sausage and Rice Casserole

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#5 of 9 Old 04-16-2010, 02:24 AM

porcupine meatballs - the rice sticks out when it's cooked like a porcupine I make these with ground chicken or turkey too

Erin - mama to my happy little guy, born April 09  kewl.gif

and my sweet baby, born July 12  babygirl.gif

#6 of 9 Old 04-16-2010, 07:43 AM

Dahl (lentils) on rice. If you search the lentil thread, I think there's a couple of recipes there.

Black beans and rice. I can't find my recipe, but this one looks pretty easy:
http://kidshealth.org/kid/recipes/ve...eans_rice.html

Paella. My recipe is fairly expensive (lots of seafood, wine, etc.), but you can probably search for inexpensive versions.
#7 of 9 Old 04-16-2010, 08:36 AM

kidney bean curry (rajma) over rice. it's delish.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/red-kid...ma/detail.aspx
#8 of 9 Old 04-19-2010, 02:55 AM

Golabki (stuffed cabbages) or stuffed peppers. Basically seasoned ground meat--pork, beef or both--mixed w/onions and cooked or partially cooked rice, stuffed into it's little veggie shell. If you're not keen on meat, you can use sauteed button mushrooms in it's place.

Italian rice balls. I don't have a recipe, but I'm sure you can find a good one online. Basically it's breaded rice, served w/sauce and mozz cheese.

Kelly, mama (12yoDS), doula, RN, and writer.
There's no where you can be that isn't where you were meant to be, its easy
#9 of 9 Old 04-19-2010, 03:27 AM

I love doing my "rice pilaf".

Saute onions (in your rice cooking pot) in some olive oil or butter. when they're done, add your rice and some raisins (and optional some little chicken peices. this turns it into more of a meal, though it makes a great side otherwise). When the rice has changed color a bit (or rather, it becomes more or less transparent, I can't recall which), (it's still white, or brown for brown rice), add in enough stock to cook the rice in, plus a little extra (the raisins will absorb it). Cook until done, salt to taste, add more butter. yumm.

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page