Is there a trick to peeling hard boiled eggs? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 43 Old 04-18-2010, 03:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Old eggs is definetly the 'trick' as it were... fresh eggs just don't peel, period.
#32 of 43 Old 04-18-2010, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

Bummer. My Mom went all domestic for a change and she did them for me before I even woke up And she uses the exact same method as me, so I am considering that the problem might just be me

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

#33 of 43 Old 04-18-2010, 09:32 PM

I find cold eggs are easier to peel.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#34 of 43 Old 04-20-2010, 12:03 AM

Older eggs to start with, or boil them and let them sit in the fridge for a couple days before you try to peel them.
#35 of 43 Old 04-20-2010, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzu822 View Post
My grandmother peels them by using a spoon. Crack the shell a little then slides the spoon under the shell and flip it off. She has it down to a science.
That's what I do. I kind of crack it all over a little though and then slide the spoon from the bottom (thicker end).

fwiw I do put my eggs in ice water after boiling, but I don't crack them until I'm ready to eat them.
#36 of 43 Old 04-20-2010, 12:58 AM

A spoonful of baking soda in the water helps a lot - I got that tip from Martha FWIW!
#37 of 43 Old 04-20-2010, 01:02 AM

I totally vote for running them under cold water after coking and then peelng soon after. I find it works every time.

Mom to DD1 (Feb 2006) and DD2 (June 2008) with HIE, CP, dev delays and reflux
#38 of 43 Old 04-20-2010, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamadelbosque View Post
Old eggs is definetly the 'trick' as it were... fresh eggs just don't peel, period.
If you steam them, it doesn't matter how fresh they are. They peel easily every time.

I've posted this so many times and yet, the majority of the posts say the same things. I promise, promise, promise steaming eggs is the best way to get them to peel easily every single time.

What will it hurt to just try it once everyone? :-)
#39 of 43 Old 04-20-2010, 08:53 AM

So you steam them like you would steam broccoli or green beans?? I've never heard that before, but it just might be worth a try... How long do you steam them for??
#40 of 43 Old 04-20-2010, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by womenswisdom View Post
This is the coolest video of how to peel a hard-boiled egg EVER.
I have to *assume* that no one watched this awesome video!!! He says to throw some baking soda in the water and you can then crack each end of the egg and use your mouth to BLOW THE EGG OUT OF THE SHELL. Hello?! No cracking and peeling at all!

ETA: Guess I should've read all the replies before posting again - guess I missed an update email

Fledgling midwife on hiatus, Wife to B, mama to C (c/s ribboncesarean.gif 12/04) and S hbac.gif (12/07), angel3.gif m/c (3/12) and expecting another bean 6/13 stork-suprise.gif.

#41 of 43 Old 04-20-2010, 10:10 AM

Sorry, no time to read replies....

Add lots of salt to the boiling water. I don't measure but I imagine it is a couple of tablespoons. Once I started doing this I've never had trouble with getting the shells off easily.

Maryhippie.gif

#42 of 43 Old 04-20-2010, 02:08 PM

For the lady that steams them, can you tell me more about your timing? And if they turn out different in any other way, I'll certainly try it out. I like my method but always open to finding a better one.

For the talk about exspansion and contraction... I don't think you can lump together the behavior of diferent temps effect on a particular liquid or solid. and the diference of water in it's liquid to solid form in the same therory. They play by different rules. Cold water sinks and hot water rises to the top. This is because it is less dense. It is less dense because it has expanded.

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#43 of 43 Old 04-21-2010, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamadelbosque View Post
So you steam them like you would steam broccoli or green beans?? I've never heard that before, but it just might be worth a try... How long do you steam them for??
Yep, just like veggies. I have a metal steamer basket (leftover from an old rice cooker) that sits on top of my pot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adorkable
For the lady that steams them, can you tell me more about your timing? And if they turn out different in any other way, I'll certainly try it out. I like my method but always open to finding a better one.
I put the eggs in, cover and start the timer when the water begins to boil. About 10 minutes for hard-cooked and 7 for medium. If you start the timer at the very beginning , it's probably 20 minutes.

Here's a ehow link I found that shows it:
http://www.ehow.com/video_2348232_steam-cook-eggs.html

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page