Best digestive enzyme supplement? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 04-22-2010, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm thinking of giving one a try but have no clue which brand is best.

I have just started eating wheat again after a year of being off of it (DS breastfeeds and had an intolerance that he has outgrown). Interestingly, when I stopped eating wheat, my system reacted a bit adversely (let's just say I was running to the bathroom for a few days). Now that I am eating again, my system is reacting even worse. A few hours after just a small amount of wheat I have a lot of high abdominal pain. The next day I have the bathroom issue again. I haven't eaten much wheat each day at all (a couple crackers, a bite or two of cake, etc), but one day I did have a normal serving and that night I was doubled over in pain. Wheat never ever used to bother me before! Actually, I think I was healthier when I was eating it! Which is why I don't think this could be Celiac's.

I thought my problems since reintroducing it could be due to a change in intestinal flora. Well, I have tried several different probiotics over the past 2 weeks to no avail. So, now I am thinking an enzyme might be in order. How do I choose?

Marine ecologist wife to my kite-boarding soulmate and now a SAHM to Annabelle 8/02, 3 , and finally Willem 12/21/08!
#2 of 5 Old 04-23-2010, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesapeakeBorn View Post
I thought my problems since reintroducing it could be due to a change in intestinal flora. Well, I have tried several different probiotics over the past 2 weeks to no avail. So, now I am thinking an enzyme might be in order. How do I choose?
I know you're asking for enzyme recommendations but.....

I've read of people drinking probiotic drinks made with gluten grains in order to restore their gluten eating flora.
Makes sense to me, just like those who have trouble drinking dairy products start off by drinking milk kefir.

If you decide to try it, please give us an update.

https://shop.bodyecology.com/prodinfo.asp?number=BE305

good luck
#3 of 5 Old 04-23-2010, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, what a good idea! I'm off to see if I can find that at the health food store. Thanks, LoMaH!

Marine ecologist wife to my kite-boarding soulmate and now a SAHM to Annabelle 8/02, 3 , and finally Willem 12/21/08!
#4 of 5 Old 04-27-2010, 09:11 AM

If you're suspecting your intestinal flora to be part of the problem, then you should definitely look into a really good probiotic. This is something that's beneficial for anyone to take daily anyway, so it would be a great thing to add into your routine regardless. But probiotics can really go a long way aiding in digestive health. If gluten or wheat continues to be a suspect, you might look into trying GlutenEase, which is a supplement designed to help those with a gluten and/or dairy intolerance. It helps the body break down the proteins so they can be properly absorbed. Some people who continue their GFCF diet will still take GlutenEase just because it does go the extra mile to breaking down the proteins. But this may help you reintroduce small amounts of gluten back into your diet and increase your tolerance for them.
#5 of 5 Old 04-27-2010, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

naturalmom08, thanks for your reply. That sounds like what I picked up. It is an enzyme product called "Gluten Defense" and man oh man does it work!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page