Baby led solids? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 04-23-2010, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am looking for information on a topic that I think is called baby led solids. I think it is different than baby led weaning, but must be related.

Does anyone have any good resources on this? What I am interested in is the concept of skipping cereals and purees and just introducing real, whole foods to my baby so the baby can eat them as finger foods. My baby is exclusively breastfed, and I intend to continue that indefinitely, but do want to start introducing solids so baby can play, learn about tastes, textures, etc. So, I'm more interested in the food angle not the "weaning" angle, if that makes sense.

Does anyone have any resources? Thanks!!

Babygirlsmama
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 04-23-2010, 04:31 PM

When "weaning" is used in this context, it's the broader meaning of weaning, which is the extended process of baby moving from being sustained exclusively on your milk, to the introduction of other foods, which of course ultimately winds up in baby ceasing to take in breast milk. It's not weaning as in stopping breastfeeding entirely-- it's weaning as in beginning the very gradual process of transitioning to solid food. It's a process that takes years, for most kids, if they are allowed to lead the way. So it is actually called baby-led weaning, but don't let the word "weaning" worry you!

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#3 of 12 Old 04-23-2010, 04:58 PM

This is basically how I intro foods to my kids. I let them lead the way. My 27 month old didn't have any solids until about 6 months. He is still breastfeed at nap and bed times (when I'm not working). And he has had no detrimental effects. Also, I really believe he is healthier than my 5 yo who's father insisted he be started on cereals, purees etc. As far as the 27 mo is concerned, I didn't give any foods until he was able to sit up and would reach for them. Also, I don't cut any foods up smaller than reasonable because I believe he can handle what he is given. He eats whole grapes, hot dogs, etc without the IMO needless cutting up. We give him cups of water not sippy cups. In fact, I don't think he knows HOW to drink from a sippy. LOL. Just my experience with my middle child. My infant, we'll see how it goes with her LOL

intactivist.gifwinner.jpg fambedsingle2.gif  learning.gif homeschool.gif buddamomimg1.png gd.gif delayedvax.gif selectivevax.gif  supermod.gif (Yeah right)

angel3.gif loss 2/28/03           photosmile2.gif  ds 1/5/08             asl.gif dd 2/8/10

When we know better, we do better. ~Maya Angelou 

#4 of 12 Old 04-23-2010, 05:16 PM

This is what I've done with my 7 1/2 mo old. She was exclusively breastfed until two weeks ago, when I gave her a whole, peeled fresh pear to mouth and lick all by herself. This week I also gave her half a whole (unmashed) banana. It's going well. Soon I'll give her cooked sweet potato and raw avacado. I don't plan on doing much special prep of her food, and no spoon feeding. I'm not aware of any books on this topic, if you find any, let me know!
#5 of 12 Old 04-23-2010, 05:32 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
I like "Baby Led Weaning" by Gli Rapley but I haven't read any other books on the subject so I can't compare it to anything else.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#6 of 12 Old 04-23-2010, 05:33 PM

The "Bible" of BLW is this book by the British health visitor Gill Rapley:

http://www.amazon.com/Baby-led-Weani...2054903&sr=8-1

It's what I did with my now 22 month old DD and I'm also doing my MS thesis on an aspect of it.

Widowed mummy to T 6/08 and a crazy blue dog

#7 of 12 Old 04-23-2010, 05:37 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
#8 of 12 Old 04-23-2010, 05:38 PM

"Baby-Led Weaning" is a great book on this topic. The author assumes that milk-feeds ( what she uses to denote both breast and bottle feeding) will continue for loooong after complementary foods are introduced.

There's usually a BLW thread over in Life With a Babe, but http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1215752 this seems to be the closest thing currently and it's not as informative as some of the earlier threads were.
#9 of 12 Old 04-23-2010, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjrowan View Post
It's what I did with my now 22 month old DD and I'm also doing my MS thesis on an aspect of it.
Do tell!
#10 of 12 Old 04-23-2010, 10:47 PM

Our DD is 9.5 months old. She is being fed by the "baby led weaning" method for the past 2.5 months.
At 6 months we started her on solids by giving her pureed fruits and veg. It didn't go well. She was fussy about texture and my DW and I were frustrated about food and schedules and making it and everything.
We go the Baby Led Weaning book that was mentioned. It made a lot of sense. So that same night we just gave here veg and fruits cut into 2-3 inch fingers. Everything was steamed so that it is soft enough for her to bite, but not so soft that it squished and broke in her hands.

She now can eat very small things and so we dont have to make sure it is in 2-3 inch fingers. She has enough of a pincher grasp to handle small bits.

She eats:
raw cucumber (not peeled), apple quarters (not peeled), steamed carrot sticks, sweet potato, green beans, broccoli spears, cauliflower, avocado, pears, plums, banana, peas, zucchini, squash, black beans, baked beans, rice, thick lentil soup, scrambled egg, tortilla, toast with tahini spread on it,
yogurt, spinach, salmon, little homemade meat balls. And I am sure more.

We started out by giving her plain steamed veg and raw fruit. Now we have moved on to mixing flavours and starting to give her things with more spice and herbs and flavouring such as the lentil stew and curries. We basically give her whatever we are having. We just drop in onto her seat tray and let her have a good go at it. It is VERY messy, but fun.

Good luck. We have found the fun and passion and adventure that we were looking for/hoping for when we thought of introducing our DD to the world of food.

Me 40 eat.gif. Partner to mamacolleen 33 superhero.gif. DD born July 2009 blahblah.gif. Twin boys born Nov 2012.

We are a family that loves cold.giftreehugger.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#11 of 12 Old 04-24-2010, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
Do tell!
I've PM'd you!

Widowed mummy to T 6/08 and a crazy blue dog

#12 of 12 Old 04-24-2010, 11:15 AM

I *love* baby-led weaning. I started a thread in the Toddler section for BLW-graduates a week or two ago... here it is http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1215643 if you're interested in hearing some outcomes!

I thought I'd start him on avocado slices... he had other plans & sniped some of my banana once, some roasted veggies another time... we quickly realized if you tried to make something just for him (sweet potato wedges or whatever), he would decide he wasn't hungry or he'd fall asleep just before dinner, plus he always wanted what everyone else had. So my main advice is to forget about which foods to introduce first and preparing them a certain way -- just let baby have whatever they seem interested in... within reason of course (we did not allow whole grapes, whole nuts, etc.) Also, don't expect your baby to eat as much as non-BLW babies. Many BLW babies take a lonnnnng time to start eating real quantities. My DS mostly played with & tasted but spit out his food for the first 2 months, then around 7 months (we started early @ 5 months, per his lead) he started eating maybe a bite or two a day. It slowly increased and now at 14mos he eats maybe 3 bites for breakfast, a few bites for lunch & snacks, and a pretty big dinner (maybe several tablespoons of whatever we're having). He loves to eat whole apples all by himself, that's his favorite thing these days, he LOOOOVES fruit!

P.S. He is still nursing at least 12 times a day, often more, so don't let the word "weaning" mislead you!

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page