Some of these wonderful healthy foods cause... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 04-25-2010, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
GAS...any natural prevention or treatment strategies?

TIA!

Susan hippie.gif Mama to DD (15) guitar.gif : DD (18) geek.gif & cat.gif
goorganic.jpg Rainbow.gifjoy.giftreehugger.gif winner.jpg coolshine.gifribbongrey.gif
#2 of 7 Old 04-25-2010, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Give it time. If your body isn't used to digesting so much fibre it will react at first but it won't take long before it adjusts. Make the adjustments gradually and you should be fine. Many people find that when they become accustomed to a healthier diet they run into digestive troubles when they return to the SAD.
#3 of 7 Old 04-25-2010, 07:35 PM

i find that beano helps but I'd rather have something more natural too. Anytime I eat dairy or high fiber items I tend to have pretty strong gas. naturally, I don't want to avoid fiber... so I'm not sure what to do! OP, thanks for asking.
#4 of 7 Old 04-25-2010, 07:47 PM

What Shanti said. I've definately noticed that things that used to give me gas now don't so much anymore now that my body is used to them. Maybe add them slowly and steadily to your diet? And keep a bottle of perfume in your purse for uh-oh moments??? (I blame it on the baby....LOVE having a baby!)

Gwen , partner to D ; Mamma to T (6) , J (4) , and baby P
#5 of 7 Old 04-25-2010, 09:01 PM

One thing that can really help is making sure that you don't reduce your consumption of dietary fats too low. Fats are essential for health and digestion, and oftentimes in the name of "healthy eating," folks wind up eating way too little fat, and fats can really help your body deal with more difficult-to-digest foods like beans and greens. For example, some extra-virgin olive oil on your green veggies will make them less likely to make you gassy.

So I would recommend including plenty of healthy sources of fats-- olive oil, wild-caught salmon, avocado, unrefined coconut oil, grass-fed butter and whole milk, meats, eggs, etc.

Make sure you soak your beans well, and discard the soaking water. Lentils and brown rice also often benefit from a soaking time, even though most cookbooks don't specify this. A lot of us also soak our grains, as well. The soaking begins the process of digestion, and breaks down the most difficult-to-digest compounds in the food so that your body doesn't have the burden of doing it.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#6 of 7 Old 04-25-2010, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter

I've been eating lots of whole grains and veggies for years so maybe it's just age!

Susan hippie.gif Mama to DD (15) guitar.gif : DD (18) geek.gif & cat.gif
goorganic.jpg Rainbow.gifjoy.giftreehugger.gif winner.jpg coolshine.gifribbongrey.gif
#7 of 7 Old 04-25-2010, 10:06 PM

Digestive enzymes help A LOT. We have been taking these for years, and this is the cheapest place I have found them. (Free shipping over $75)

http://www.betterlife.com/prod_home_...p?prod_id=3682

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page