Questions questions (about dairy and calcium) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 04-27-2010, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey all

My youngest 12 month old seems to be sensitive to some dairy. So I am wondering will goat milk or sheep milk be a good alternative as far as calcium goes? I'm worried she won't get enough calcium.

Also where can I find A2 milk on Oahu, Hawaii? I don't think they sell raw milk here, but at least if I can find some A2 milk brands or yogurt that would be nice. Any ladies know of A2 dairy brands (for cheese, yogurt, milk)? Thanks in advance.
#2 of 3 Old 04-27-2010, 11:34 PM

I'm almost 98% certain you won't find A2/A2 dairy in a "brand" in the US. You will only find it with small farmers who go way out of their way to make sure their cow's are A2 (most American cows are A1). IIRC from a friend who has an A2 cow, they have to send the cow's DNA to all the way to Europe to be tested, no one does it in the US!

Sheep or goat's milk are good calcium options. the truth is, milk isn't necessarily the BEST calcium option, and it certainly isn't the only one.

Bone Broth, canned fishies with their bones (like salmon, sardines, etc), and certain herbs and veggies can be good calcium sources.

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
#3 of 3 Old 04-27-2010, 11:37 PM

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...rient&dbid=109 Maybe that will help because children should not be given milk.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page