Wild edibles foraging? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-14-2012, 04:04 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstewart View Post

Last year I picked Saskatoons (kind of a high-bush blueberry) in the park and also some raspberries.   Any thoughts on foraging in an urban setting?

(Italics are mine)

You'd like the Steve Brill book I mentioned in my post above.  He writes about urban foraging, and things to think about when doing it.

Forgive me for being such a plant nerd, but my brain will short circuit and implode if I don't mention this, rendering me incapable of continuing with my day-- Saskatoon berries (Juneberry/ Serviceberry/ Sarvisberry, etc.) Amelanchier sp. are members of the Rose family.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2012, 04:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSilver View Post

You'd like the Steve Brill book I mentioned in my post above.  He writes about urban foraging, and things to think about when doing it.

Forgive me for being such a plant nerd, but my brain will short circuit and implode if I don't mention this, rendering me incapable of continuing with my day-- Saskatoon berries (Juneberry/ Serviceberry/ Sarvisberry, etc.) Amelanchier sp. are members of the Rose family.

Thanks!  See, I know so little!  When you say that, the texture and flavor do make sense as being members of the rose family.

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

User Tag List