Quick Advice, Am I losing it? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 05-03-2010, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is it crazy to spend $40 on 12 pints of local organic strawberries (6 pounds?) Crazier yet to do $120 for 18 pounds? I plan to make freeze them to have for quite some time.

It feels crazy and I'm considering backing out even though I'll look like a lunatic for all the times I've contacted her,...

What would you do?
#2 of 8 Old 05-03-2010, 05:43 PM

I, personally, wouldn't spend that much on strawberries, but only DH really likes them. Also, he would want them fresh, not frozen. If you were going to do other things with them, like pies or jam, then that's a little different.

joy.giflurk.gif

#3 of 8 Old 05-03-2010, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

last year we picked our own, about 20 pounds worth but they werent organic, and made jam, strawberry-lemondae, popsicles, plus we ate them, they were also delicious after being frozen on waffles, etc,...

I know we'll use them up and love every one of them, but,... $$$, .........
#4 of 8 Old 05-03-2010, 05:51 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I think that's expensive..

I see organic strawberries in stores on sale for $3, the lowest, but that's a bit rare...mostly I find it for $5 a pound in summer..

nerdy mom to DD1 7yo, D2 infant
#5 of 8 Old 05-03-2010, 05:51 PM

$3.33 a pint, not bad. Not a killing but not bad at all. Goes for about $4/pint around here.

If you have the means I don't think you're crazy at all. There is a HUGE difference between the strawberries you can pick locally versus those tasteless orbs you can get year round in the grocery store. Even my absurdly anti-farm 4 year old knows that.

I personally have about $20-30 budgeted for strawberry season next month.

But I also have a bit budgeted for cherries in July and blueberries August 1, so I'm spreading it around I can't get bulk prices for stawberries or cherries, but I can for blueberries! I don't remember yet what; last year we only picked about a quart but there were different pricing structures if you wanted a lot. This year we want a lot

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#6 of 8 Old 05-03-2010, 05:56 PM

It is a pretty good price but are they fully in season yet where you are? I'm asking because they might be not be as good as they would be, say in June. I'm just not sure where you were. I wouldn't do 18 lbs but I would do 12 pints. Heck, my family would eat 12 pints in one week!
#7 of 8 Old 05-03-2010, 06:54 PM

That's a bit spendy to me. I'm in a high COL area and I can get a flat (organic/local) for $25 during the height of the season (which is not yet). If I went local/not organic I could get it for about $10-$15.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#8 of 8 Old 05-03-2010, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for your input. I did end up getting them and she gave me an extra flat which certainly makes it more worthwhile!

I'm in GA, prime picking time and they are DELICIOUS!! Whoever called the grocery store variety "tastless orbs" pegged it, man these are good!

Back to washing and preparing them to freeze! Thanks!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page