nutritious, portable lunches? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 05-08-2010, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
besides sandwiches?

I need ideas of what to feed my husband at work!

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif
#2 of 8 Old 05-08-2010, 03:42 PM

Can he heat his food? Soup in a thermos, wraps, burritos, calzones.
#3 of 8 Old 05-08-2010, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

I used to make calzones a lot, but I haven't in a while, maybe I'll make him some.

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif
#4 of 8 Old 05-08-2010, 04:06 PM

I take all manner of leftovers. I also keep cans of soup in my office. If you get a decent size thermos, almost any leftover can be kept warm. For summer, I do salads- pasta salad, chicken salad, egg salad. Hummus with flatbread, veggies, crackers. Smoked sausage slices, cheese slices, with crackers.

I'm always looking for good picnic suggestions, which would be similar.

Joanna - wife to Mike, mamachicken to Cub(8/98), Kitten (4/07), Dew-man, and Woe-boy(twins, 10/08)
#5 of 8 Old 05-08-2010, 04:38 PM

Salads:
Spinach & strawberry salad, sprinkle sunflower seeds over and squeeze fresh orange juice on top. Very yummy.

Carrot slices & celery w/ homemade guacamole
(mash an avocado, chop some tomatoe & onion, very finely mince 1/2 clove of garlic, mix it all up & the flavors will be well blended by lunchtime).
(I also like a portabella w/ the same guac on top, but not all will)

Most fruits are pretty easily portable and an easy addition to anything for lunch.

Bean burritos - super easy to cook up a pound of beans in your crockpot, roll up some burritos w/ beans & cheese, and freeze. If you freeze them in parchment paper they can go straight into the microwave.

Mom to A 11/06: Researching : to grow our family
#6 of 8 Old 05-08-2010, 05:48 PM

My DH takes leftovers, too. I just pack him a lunch just like I would make him a dinner... main dish, and a couple sides - at least 2 veggies. We have tiffins, so I can pack 3 days worth of food on Sunday, stack them in the fridge and he's good to go for the week (company buys lunch on Th and Fri). In the morning, he grabs a container, adds another one that he fills with fresh fruit, nuts, string cheese and he's got a day's worth of food. He keeps a KK at work for water.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#7 of 8 Old 05-08-2010, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post
My DH takes leftovers, too. I just pack him a lunch just like I would make him a dinner... main dish, and a couple sides - at least 2 veggies. We have tiffins, so I can pack 3 days worth of food on Sunday, stack them in the fridge and he's good to go for the week (company buys lunch on Th and Fri). In the morning, he grabs a container, adds another one that he fills with fresh fruit, nuts, string cheese and he's got a day's worth of food. He keeps a KK at work for water.
I love tiffins!
#8 of 8 Old 05-08-2010, 08:45 PM

+1 for leftovers

DP takes whatever we have the night before. I tried packing lunches for a while, but we always come back to leftovers.

Jen
Loving partner to Gia rainbow1284.gif and mama to heartbeat.gif (9/06) and A heartbeat.gif (1/09)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page