Aluminum core in stainless steel cookware? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 05-14-2010, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is it common for stainless steel cookware to have an aluminum core? Does ALL stainless steel cookware have this aluminum core? I had not previously heard about aluminum being 'inside' of stainless cookware and am wanting to get info on it. I searched around the internet but am finding biased and confusing information. Wondering about the opinions of MDC health-minded mamas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 05-14-2010, 06:15 PM

All stainless cookware will have a core or layer of something. SS itself does not conduct heat very well, whereas aluminum or copper are both excellent heat conductors. If you want to avoid even that core, then you're going to want to go with cast iron, enameled cast iron or glass.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#3 of 9 Old 05-14-2010, 06:36 PM

I'm not sure that all ss has an inner core...I do know that most does and does leach that core unless it is super high quality stuff. (And pricey, lol) I know saladmaster claims to be surgical grade ss (the kind used in hip transplants, ect) with an oil interior that is sealed inside. Also, that theirs (if it has a core) don't leach. They do this taste test with your pots that's just boiling baking soda in water in your pots and I can tell you that aluminum and sswith al or copper is disgusting tasting. But not sure how scientific that is, lol. I am looking for a solution, but it'll have to wait until I can better afford high quality cookware.

ETA: I don't sell or own saladmaster, but had a friend who was a consultant...

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

#4 of 9 Old 05-14-2010, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, that is very interesting about the leaching. Do you think that an outer layer of copper could also leach through?
#5 of 9 Old 05-14-2010, 07:49 PM

I don't know about leaching, I am of the opinion that ss with an aluminum core is perfectly safe. It is essentially three (or more) layers of metal bonded together, the aluminum or copper giving heat conduction, the ss keeping them out of your food.

(I also don't worry about copper leaching through. It's not a lot if any did leach through, not likely enough to give you copper toxicity, and copper is the ideal cookware material, in my mind, only cast iron can compare in perfectness for ease of cooking.)

That said, all my pots other than cast iron are stainless steel lined copper, ss with copper and aluminum base, and cast iron. They're expensive, and worth it.

there might not be anything perfectly safe in this world, but I am completely comfortable with the safety of these pots and pans.

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
#6 of 9 Old 05-15-2010, 11:11 AM

I too and am of the opinion that SS with an aluminum/copper core is perfectly safe. I just bought two SS cookie sheets w/ aluminum cores yesterday at williams sonoma (by all-clad). I can't imagine how one metal could leach out through another, but I suppose its possible.
#7 of 9 Old 05-15-2010, 11:15 AM

You really don't have to worry about aluminum leaching through the SS surface. There is a (slight) concern with nickel leaching from the SS, but it's not really an issue unless you abuse your cookware. If you don't make it a habit of using harsh scouring pads that will eventually damage the surface, you're fine.

If cost is an issue, consider buying your cookware piecemeal, rather than as a set. You can find good deals if you look.
#8 of 9 Old 05-15-2010, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Ah, yes, the nickel factor. Mtiger, I didn't know that the nickel could only leach out if the surface was scratched. I have used copper scrub sponges to really scrub the bottoms of burnt stainless steel pans. Do you think that would release the nickel? It has been my understanding that the nickel in stainless steel was always as accessible as it could be because it was mixed in with the steel to harden it (as opposed to being beneath the steel).
#9 of 9 Old 08-26-2010, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by May May View Post
Is it common for stainless steel cookware to have an aluminum core? Does ALL stainless steel cookware have this aluminum core? I had not previously heard about aluminum being 'inside' of stainless cookware and am wanting to get info on it. I searched around the internet but am finding biased and confusing information. Wondering about the opinions of MDC health-minded mamas.
The bottom of the utensils in stainless steel cookware normally has a copper or aluminum bottom, which allows good conduction of heat. So when choosing a stainless steel cookware set, it should have aluminum core to provide even heat distribution along the bottom of the pan.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page