Mothering Forum banner

Your Favorite Crockpot Recipe

595 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  mambera 
#1 ·
so i bought a crock pot hoping to start making more homemade meals - what can be easier, just through stuff in there and let it cook till you come home from work.
but every single meal ive made so far was very far from delicious. veggies are usually very overcooked to let the meat cook all the way through, and it just hasnt been a very positive experience.
most of the recipes ive tried i picked up here and there from the internet, and i generally dislike just looking sth up, becasue usually its not as good as it claims to be, so could you, experienced crockpotters, share some of your fav recipes with me? can be anything from appetizers to breakfasts to dips and entrees, im interested in all of them!
thanks

#2 ·
My favorite is beef stew. Throw in some stew meat, chunks of potatoes, either baby or chunks of carrots (the chunks will likely hold up better but I usually use baby carrots since that's what I have on hand), some onion, celery if you have it and like it, a can of diced tomatoes, some thyme or rosemary and a bit of beef broth along with salt and pepper.

#3 ·
I don't add my veggies into the crock pot until I am almost ready to serve. I steam or boil them on the stove quickly and toss them in so they stay a little crisp.

I like beef stew using stewed tomatoes, garlic, basil, and salt n peppa

Kids love pork roast or chicken..drain after cooked and add BBQ or Teriyaki sauce

#4 ·
I think the crockpot works best with really hearty (not to say tough) cuts of meat that need to sit in there for hours to juice up and become tender. (Agree with putting the veggies in later.)

That said, my DH doesn't eat red meat (and I don't eat much of it) so we don't use our crockpot much. I do use it for a Thai-inspired chicken curry that's super easy and reasonably yummy:

4 chicken thighs (could use pork butt or shoulder instead if you eat it, might work better)
1 can coconut milk
2-3 green chilies (or to taste) slit lengthwise
1 tablespoon soy sauce
10-12 whole peeled shallots
salt and pepper to taste

Don't overcook if using chicken, it only really needs like 3-4 hours. If using pork you could probably let it go all day on low though.

At the table, add a squirt of lime juice (that's important, it really enlivens the flavor of teh dish)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.